Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can confirm it is a clip or magnet. If felt more like a clip though. I pressed up and it stuck back into place. Unfortunately it stuck up higher so what was originally too low now is too high. Smh.

·
Registered
225 Posts
There are other vehicles that use magnets for the headliner. It's not totally crazy.
Didn’t say it was crazy. Just weird.

For other companies, not as much. For a new car that’s not profitable yet that weighs over 7000lbs, I would have thought they would have cut out as much weight and unnecessary expense as possible. That’s the weird part.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Didn’t say it was crazy. Just weird.

For other companies, not as much. For a new car that’s not profitable yet that weighs over 7000lbs, I would have thought they would have cut out as much weight and unnecessary expense as possible. That’s the weird part.
Weight reduction comes through iteration, which takes time. At some point, rivian needed to just get into production. It will be interesting to see how things change over time. every manufacturer learns as they go.

rivian also suffers from tech-startup-syndrome. “Cool”/”novel”/“different” have won out over “proven“ in many aspects.

look no further than the key fob, for proof. The carabiner is cool. No reason they shouldn’t have used that physical design with a tradition active fob circuit inside. Proven and reliable. But they decided to be different, and we’re left with a fob that doesnt really work well. No reason, I can tell, other than hubris.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Weight reduction comes through iteration, which takes time. At some point, rivian needed to just get into production. It will be interesting to see how things change over time. every manufacturer learns as they go.

rivian also suffers from tech-startup-syndrome. “Cool”/”novel”/“different” have won out over “proven“ in many aspects.

look no further than the key fob, for proof. The carabiner is cool. No reason they shouldn’t have used that physical design with a tradition active fob circuit inside. Proven and reliable. But they decided to be different, and we’re left with a fob that doesnt really work well. No reason, I can tell, other than hubris.
At least it’s cool though. Magnets in the headliner. For the frunk trim, motors for the center console don’t really have much of a wow or feature factor. It would’ve made more sense for them to cut those and squeeze in say a power tailgate or door motors. Not saying I want them, but that would at least be something they could advertise.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Didn’t say it was crazy. Just weird. For a new car that’s not profitable yet that weighs over 7000lbs, I would have thought they would have cut out as much weight and unnecessary expense as possible. That’s the weird part.
The R1T is designed for frequent off-road use. Metal parts need to be thicker to endure the abuse during off-roading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts