Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone took a photo of what Rivian's keys will look like at one of their events, and they look really sharp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@JimmyEV No, but that photo or a photo similar has been floating around the different forums since June 16th when they were at the event in Denver after the Official Customer only Rivian event that was held on June 15th that I was at.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I really like the size of the key. I'm probably one of the few that would use it more than my phone.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I really like the size of the key. I'm probably one of the few that would use it more than my phone.
Most will. Or some other wearable tech.
Rivian could have not sold a physical key and in the way they have here. Still cool they did. Something we can be sort of proud about.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most will. Or some other wearable tech.
Rivian could have not sold a physical key and in the way they have here. Still cool they did. Something we can be sort of proud about.
I guess the wearable tech idea is why Rivian decided to design the keys like a carabiner. That and it keeps up with their image as an overlanding brand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like it! However... roumers says the fob is waterproof.. is it possible to change the battery our selves, or do we Need to change the whole fob..? I have an activity key (also waterproof) to my Volvo, and the whole fob needs to be changed if the battery is empty.. costs whopping $350-400 for a new one 😫 I use it alot when out running etc

·
Registered
601 Posts
I like it! However... roumers says the fob is waterproof.. is it possible to change the battery our selves, or do we Need to change the whole fob..? I have an activity key (also waterproof) to my Volvo, and the whole fob needs to be changed if the battery is empty.. costs whopping $350-400 for a new one 😫 I use it alot when out running etc
Since Rivian is an adventure brand I have to expect the key will be waterproof. As for replacing the battery I guess we'll have to see one people start getting deliveries.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yea, the Volvo design is bad. I've already had to replace mine -- it didn't last 2 years.

I've thought about 3D printing a new case so I can Dremel the old key open, extract the PCB, solder in a battery holder so the battery can be replaced, in the future, then installing it in the 3D printed case. In theory, if the design includes a channel for an o-ring it can be made water resistant fairly easily. The FOB for my Kawasaki was water resistant and had a user-serviceable battery using that same premise.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Either that person's hand is really. really small or that key fob is HUGE. It takes up almost the entire palm of the hand. Certainly, they could make it smaller. It is just RFID tech and that could be an actual sized smaller carabiner. This looks like the size of a pad lock for your locker at the gym.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Another thing that would be cool, and I did not read they would do this, is color match your key fob to the color of the vehicle you ordered. THAT would be the bees knees!

·
Registered
135 Posts
My thought is that the images of the fob are not real pictures. They are some graphic designer or marketing person merging two images together. If they do not know what they are doing, the scales of the individual images may not be matched up. This may be why the fob looks so big in the images. The goal was to show some level of detail not a size comparison.
Just a thought and I maybe WAY off base,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts