Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please sign this easy self-filling letter to NY legislators to pass a bill that will allow EV Direct Sales across New York State. Currently EVs can only be test driven and delivered at about five places around NYC. Not cool for the rest of the state and new companies like Rivian. You can submit your petition at the following link:

New York's Future: Electric Vehicles

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have any insight as to the progress of these types of initiatives? Do we think it is just a matter of time before direct sales will be universally allowed for new companies without pre-existing franchises that would suffer? Or will new EV companies be forced to adopt the old models and adopt a franchise system and go the way of Tucker and Dolorean with high bars to entry?
BTW very interesting to me that blue states who tout environmental causes like NY have these anachronistic laws…. Just saying…😉

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
603 Posts
Anyone have any insight as to the progress of these types of initiatives? Do we think it is just a matter of time before direct sales will be universally allowed for new companies without pre-existing franchises that would suffer? Or will new EV companies be forced to adopt the old models and adopt a franchise system and go the way of Tucker and Dolorean with high bars to entry?
BTW very interesting to me that blue states who tout environmental causes like NY have these anachronistic laws…. Just saying…😉
I think you’ll see the eventual demise of government regs continuing to mandate the traditional dealer model. The question is how long the dealer lobbyists can keep them on life support. Given the state of our politics and the f*u attitude by politicians towards the voting public, it could be awhile.

To your point on blue states, I think we’ll see blue states in general move quicker to change things. Conservatives tend to be funded by, and therefore more supportive of, “big business” (and yes, the auto dealer industry is big business despite the “poor mom and pop business” image their lobbyists try to portray). As such, the folks they help get elected will continue to protect them. I’ve seen this with a number of similar but complete separate issues in recent times. Crony capitalism is alive and well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn’t agree more and hope for the same speedy progress. That said, It would be very interesting to know how many states have recently enacted favorable legislation allowing a direct sales model? For example, how many states allow it now that didn’t do so three years ago?

·
Super Moderator
603 Posts
I couldn’t agree more and hope for the same speedy progress. That said, It would be very interesting to know how many states have recently enacted favorable legislation allowing a direct sales model? For example, how many states allow it now that didn’t do so three years ago?
Not sure how up to date it is, but some good info can be found here: Tesla US dealership disputes - Wikipedia

it seemed a few years ago the trend was that these old laws were going down in flames. But there’s been a recent resurgence in the dealer lobby getting legislatures to protect them. I guess they saw the trend as well and really started pouring money and effort into it out of desperation. If they’d only put as much effort into providing a service people want... 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: MCRNGR

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

As of March 2021: only 22 states allow for all vehicle manufacturers to sell vehicles to customers. Another 11 states allow for only one manufacturer (Tesla) to sell vehicles, often in a limited number of locations throughout the state.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Urgent support needed if you and your friends live in NY!!!!!!

Only 2 weeks left in the NYS legislative session to pass the Bills to allow Direct Sales! If we don’t pass it, we will find ourselves still having to go out of state to buy Rivian and like start up vehicles. Please CALL and write your state representatives. This tool makes it easy to write but I have found calling is not only fun to do but they are more receptive:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Please sign this easy self-filling letter to NY legislators to pass a bill that will allow EV Direct Sales across New York State. Currently EVs can only be test driven and delivered at about five places around NYC. Not cool for the rest of the state and new companies like Rivian. You can submit your petition at the following link:

New York's Future: Electric Vehicles
What I sense here you literally want a Wild West show! This is not like ordering a shirt from LL Bean. This is a $70K+ major expenditure, for most families their second biggest expenditure behind a home. I sense here your “putting the cart before the horse” here. Did you ever even sit in a Rivian? Leg & Head room, blind spots, fit in one’s garage, etc. When a problem occurs, and it will, where do you go for service & warrantee work in your New York neighborhood? You cannot put your electric vehicle and mail back to a manufacturer a thousand miles away for service with no tech nor parts in your community. Do you already have a charging station at your home or apartment complex? Do they have a good number at your place of work? Are there a serious number of charge stations within say a 50 miles range of where you live?

Direct sales sounds great for a salesman or a manufacturer, but for mass volume of non-Amazon employees will it work this very second? Suggest you get off your high horse 🐎 and push for thousands of compatible charging stations first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think you’ll see the eventual demise of government regs continuing to mandate the traditional dealer model. The question is how long the dealer lobbyists can keep them on life support. Given the state of our politics and the f*u attitude by politicians towards the voting public, it could be awhile.

To your point on blue states, I think we’ll see blue states in general move quicker to change things. Conservatives tend to be funded by, and therefore more supportive of, “big business” (and yes, the auto dealer industry is big business despite the “poor mom and pop business” image their lobbyists try to portray). As such, the folks they help get elected will continue to protect them. I’ve seen this with a number of similar but complete separate issues in recent times. Crony capitalism is alive and well.
This is not politics sonny! This is pure economics & common sense. How many EV service & parts stores are in you area? How many certified service techs are within 25 miles of where you live? Remember patience is a virtue!

·
Super Moderator
603 Posts
This is not politics sonny! This is pure economics & common sense. How many EV service & parts stores are in you area? How many certified service techs are within 25 miles of where you live? Remember patience is a virtue!
What’s your point “sonny”? 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What I sense here you literally want a Wild West show! This is not like ordering a shirt from LL Bean. This is a $70K+ major expenditure, for most families their second biggest expenditure behind a home. I sense here your “putting the cart before the horse” here. Did you ever even sit in a Rivian? Leg & Head room, blind spots, fit in one’s garage, etc. When a problem occurs, and it will, where do you go for service & warrantee work in your New York neighborhood? You cannot put your electric vehicle and mail back to a manufacturer a thousand miles away for service with no tech nor parts in your community. Do you already have a charging station at your home or apartment complex? Do they have a good number at your place of work? Are there a serious number of charge stations within say a 50 miles range of where you live?

Direct sales sounds great for a salesman or a manufacturer, but for mass volume of non-Amazon employees will it work this very second? Suggest you get off your high horse 🐎 and push for thousands of compatible charging stations first.
What I sense, Sparky, is that you are a newly-joined troll who wants to be an obstructionist. Your nonsense is barely worth comment. Nonetheless, it should suffice to say what I want is for consumers to have the option to make their own informed decisions…. And, you just never mind what I have or haven’t in my garage and what I test drove or not! Sounds like you don’t even get the difference in warranty and EV reliability and technology anyway…. Go away please!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.