Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a little town (8,000 people) near New York City.

Driving down the sliver of a main street yesterday (one stop light, you get the idea) I saw my Launch green R1T headed toward me!

I flagged the driver and his partner down and asked if they were already delivering my truck. Alas, no. They were simply driving around town in a company car, not sure why. They recognized me and said some nice things about my writing, which I appreciated, but told them I'd rather have a truck...

Anyway, the truck is way nicer in real life than it is online or even in the videos.

The lines are very clean and the paint job was luscious. Sorry, no pics. People were honking.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Welcome to the forum @sethgodin! Big fan of your writing as well.

How else did you spec your R1T and when are you expecting to take delivery?

Do you see Rivian as a purple cow?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Just the vanilla version

I expect to take delivery in a year. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but the signals make it seem non-imminent.

and judging from this board and the reviews, I'd say the car is pretty remarkable...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Maybe getting ready for the NYC First Drive Event? Did you notice if it had manufacturer plates?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

I expect to take delivery in a year. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but the signals make it seem non-imminent.

and judging from this board and the reviews, I'd say the car is pretty remarkable...
Nice. Will this be your first EV?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice. Will this be your first EV?
I'm trying hard to support the cause, so in fact it's my fourth or fifth if you count a Prius that rarely went to gas...

As more companies discover that there are lots of people like us, they're more likely to leap...

But it can be frustrating to be an early adopter all the time.

PS my first mile invite arrived just now and I'm driving tomorrow. Go figure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm trying hard to support the cause, so in fact it's my fourth or fifth if you count a Prius that rarely went to gas...

As more companies discover that there are lots of people like us, they're more likely to leap...

Nice! Is this First Drive event in NYC? Do you know anyone else that got an invite?

·
Registered
6 Posts

That is fantastic news! Great to hear events are starting. Gives me a little faith.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice! Hi Seth! My first boss introduced me to your works on marketing (I think she probably has every one of your books) and I was genuinely surprised to see you post on this board!!

I was hoping to get my invite for a first mile event as I'm in the NYC area, but alas, nothing in my inbox as of yet :(.

·
Registered
6 Posts

By the way, great point on the swaptheline blog. Very creative and I think many waiting for their trucks would certainly pay to get ahead in line.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

How often did you charge at home versus at a public charging station?
Looking forward to your take, pics and/or videos on the R1T from the event!

·
Registered
R1S Pre Order, 2016 BMW X5, 1950 Chevy Truck
3 Posts
By the way, great point on the swaptheline blog. Very creative and I think many waiting for their trucks would certainly pay to get ahead in line.
Not to get off topic, but...
A company sponsored version of this has the potential (and likelihood) to create a very bad brand experience. Without significant 'scalper' protection, bots would simply buy up all of the early line spots and create a situation where the only real market is the secondary market at significant consumer cost increase. Ticketmaster is an example if this happening (and I'm willing to bet the brand perception of Ticketmaster is very low). The first come first served model (although thats not entirely what Rivian is doing) seem much more equitable.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Nice! i live in NYC too i wanna start a local group of owners. let me know!

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Nice! i live in NYC too i wanna start a local group of owners. let me know!
I sometimes venture down to NYC sometimes and would love to hang out with other Rivian folks. It looks like there's a section here for Tri-State members to organize stuff like this and other state specific discussion: Tri-State USA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts