Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - pre-ordered a R1S in 2019, hopefully will have it by end of the year!
I am certainly not an electrician and have very little knowledge about charging/electricity, etc. Sorry. I've looked in some of the past posts but didn't really find a great answer to my question.

So I do have a Rivian Wall Charger ordered but found out that my state, NJ, has rebates available on a few residential chargers (Rivian not being one, at least as of today).
Rebates are valid on installs of both ChargePoint HomeFlex and JuiceBox 40 14-50 Plug In chargers.

I certainly would like to have a charger installed before the delivery of the truck as well, which likely won't be possible with the Rivian charger.

If I went with either the Chargepoint or JuiceBox - any major disadvantages (or advantages?). I understand I may only be able to get 40 amps with the non Rivian chargers and thus a slower charge rate - not that important for me as most of my charging will be overnight and I would almost never need the fastest charging.

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Since most of the "smart" charging features (e.g. timed charging, charge limiting, etc.) are baked into the Rivian itself, there should be no real downside to using a different brand EVSE. Those EVSEs can match the Rivian one for charging speed (the charger is in the truck itself) when wired and configured appropriately.

·
Registered
15 MS 70D, Chevy Bolt, Yamaha T700
21 Posts
I use a Wallbox for my Model S and Chevy Bolt with a 26' cord. I have it limited to 32 amps for a bit of safety buffer but it is a 50 amp circuit so could use the full 40 amp capacity if needed. The bigger pack of the RIvian might cause me to reconsider but guessing that 32 amps will still be fine. I haven't particularly looked at the Rivian charger so don't know if it provides any features that are particularly better. When you get it installed make you sure you consider where you want to park, particularly if you are getting a second EV in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts