Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am receiving my Rirvan wall charger today though I don't have my R1T yet and in fact have not fsigned my contract or paid for anything lol. My question is does it make sense to buy this charger if I only have a 40 amp breaker available on a 100 amp service ? I am currently renting this trailer likely built in the 80's and don't want to spend more than I have to on someone else's property, but I do seem to have an unused 40 amp breaker in my panel and I don't mind limiting my use of appliances while charging if that becomes a problem. Just wondering what advantages there are to using the $500 charger as opposed to just running some #8 2 wire romex and putting a Nema receptacle on my outside wall ? I not any kind of advanced electrician but believe I could handle this. I hear the included wall charger sincs with your Rivian app to give you state of charge info ect. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

·
Registered
273 Posts
One “advantage” is not having to pack up the mobile charger every. single. time. you drive away from home. I don’t like driving off without a “visible means” of charging on board. Only you can decide if that’s worth $500 to you. The going rate for one on the Marketplace here seems to be around $650, if you’re game.

·
Registered
6 Posts
With only a 100 amp service you could still use the Rivian charger. The Rivian charger gives you the option to set the size of the breaker it is connected to. Furthermore, you can lower the amps that the Rivian will draw down from the truck's user interface in the event you are pulling too many amps from the panel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts