Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
66 Posts
I have been charging my Tesla from a 50A outlet using the Tesla Gen3 mobile connector for about two years. When my Rivian arrives it will be my second vehicle and I'll probably start by just charging from a 15A outlet. After we've piled up some more money I'd like to get a Tesla Wall Connector and hardwire it at that same 50A outlet location, and get a Rivian wall connector to mount at the appropriate location for it.

If you're going to be at a place for a reasonable amount of time, two or more years, I think it's worth getting the wall connector installed with a 60 amp circuit. Keep in mind that "continuous load" on a circuit in North America is 80% of the peak load. The Rivian wall connector peaks at 11.5kW which is [email protected] which is 80% of 60A.

Tesla no longer includes a mobile connector with the vehicle. I believe they are attempting to encourage people to purchase and install the wall connector. It's FAR better for daily use even if it's just connected to the same 15A circuit. Everything about it is more durable and ready for the repeated daily abuse. I suspect Rivian is the same.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I installed the Rivian Wall EVSE. I like the look, and it works well. The app integration is weak and I hope it gets some improvements in future updates. I specifically want more information, such as:
  • voltage and actual current draw — both for current/now and historical sessions (and now means even if a vehicle isn’t connected…. No reason I shouldn’t be able to see voltage)
  • some type of running+resettable meter so I can track kW for the month (or any arbitrary period)
  • Detect when my R1T is connected, vs some other vehicle (app implies this is possible, but it always says “unknown vehicle”)
and I want the app to be able to control the charger lighting. Specifically, let me dim the green status light. It is BRIGHT at night! I want to keep it on, but PWM should be able to bring it down to a variable/configurable brightness (or off, for those who prefer that)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed. I know I would prefer to turn the charge light off all together. Unfortunately my truck will probably sit outside a great deal of the time and I'm not really into advertising with a bright green light shining in the fog.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been charging my Tesla from a 50A outlet using the Tesla Gen3 mobile connector for about two years. When my Rivian arrives it will be my second vehicle and I'll probably start by just charging from a 15A outlet. After we've piled up some more money I'd like to get a Tesla Wall Connector and hardwire it at that same 50A outlet location, and get a Rivian wall connector to mount at the appropriate location for it.

If you're going to be at a place for a reasonable amount of time, two or more years, I think it's worth getting the wall connector installed with a 60 amp circuit. Keep in mind that "continuous load" on a circuit in North America is 80% of the peak load. The Rivian wall connector peaks at 11.5kW which is [email protected] which is 80% of 60A.

Tesla no longer includes a mobile connector with the vehicle. I believe they are attempting to encourage people to purchase and install the wall connector. It's FAR better for daily use even if it's just connected to the same 15A circuit. Everything about it is more durable and ready for the repeated daily abuse. I suspect Rivian is the same.

Do you know if a 60Amp circuit is required for the Rivian Wall mount? Believe we have a double pole 50A circuit for my wife's ceramics kiln

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you know if a 60Amp circuit is required for the Rivian Wall mount? Believe we have a double pole 50A circuit for my wife's ceramics kiln
Electric code requires that a continuous load appliance’s circuit be oversized by 25% so that the load is no more than 80% of the rated amperage. Since the Rivian Wall Charger is 48 amps, you need a 60 amp circuit to get the full benefit of it. However, there are DIP switches that you can set to limit to 40 amps, which you could run off your existing circuit. You’d just need to have the charger hardwired in lieu of the outlet for the kiln.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed the Rivian Wall EVSE. I like the look, and it works well. The app integration is weak and I hope it gets some improvements in future updates. I specifically want more information, such as:
  • voltage and actual current draw — both for current/now and historical sessions (and now means even if a vehicle isn’t connected…. No reason I shouldn’t be able to see voltage)
  • some type of running+resettable meter so I can track kW for the month (or any arbitrary period)
  • Detect when my R1T is connected, vs some other vehicle (app implies this is possible, but it always says “unknown vehicle”)
and I want the app to be able to control the charger lighting. Specifically, let me dim the green status light. It is BRIGHT at night! I want to keep it on, but PWM should be able to bring it down to a variable/configurable brightness (or off, for those who prefer that)
Can’t we get the info from your
Completely agree on the lighting, and your second and third bullets (the latter of which Rivian says they are working to correct). I thought we could get the info you’re talking about in the first bullet though?

·
Registered
261 Posts
What are people using for home charging? Purchasing the Rivian home charger?
I already have 220 service in my garage. Thinking the home charger would be a redundant piece of equipment.

Thanks!
I have a Emporia Energy L2 at my office (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) and the Rivian charger at home. While I don't need the Rivian charger but maybe once a week its nice to have the options. If your not charging at home, where are you charging? DCFC every time you need juice is not economical or convenient...

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
You can choose to turn this off in the UI. I have my truck defaulted to no light when charging.

@CommodoreAmiga Another option that some have done it to place dark tint film over the acrylic light bar to "dim" the light itself. Just a thought.
I’ve thought about it, but I think it’ll be almost impossible to install the film properly without disassembling the EVSE…. And even then it’ll be tough because its curved and bent at an angle. will probably take a big piece of film, with lots of heating and stretching, and lots of cut off waste. Maybe one day I’ll get bored enough to mess with it. Although it’d be easier and better if Rivian just made it configurable.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have used a Chargepoint Flex running at 40a, 32a continuous for my etron for 2 1/2 years now and am extremely happy with it. It is plugged into a NEMA 14-50 socket as I will use it in another house when we move. You can hardwire the unit and run it at up to 60a should you have the ‘bandwidth’ in your breaker box.
L1 charging is essentially useless on vehicles with large batteries like the R1T, so a good quality L2 ‘charger’ is essential IMHO.

Please remember these EVSE devices are not chargers; they are simply switches; timers and the necessary cabling to deliver the AC current from your house to the vehicle. The actual L2 charger itself is built into the vehicle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You won't realize how slow the 30 amp max charge rate is until you need it to charge fully overnight one time. I used the NEMA 14-50 to connect to my existing wall outlet for the Model 3 and it just didn't charge fast enough. Luckily, the electrician was only a month behind and got the Wall Charger hooked up. I get 22 mph minimum in the heat and 25 mph overnight when it cools off. Haven't had a lot of problems since. Keep in mind that a lot of the super chargers on the road suck and overcharge you, at least that has been my experience with Francis Energy locally.

I'm starting to believe those charging stations are owned by oil companies who want us to hate EV's. Just saying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you saying that the Rivian wall charger app does not let you know how many Kwh you use during the charging session or keep a record you can access ? I need this information for my landlord whom I have to pay for electricity and thought the Rivian app did this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve thought about it, but I think it’ll be almost impossible to install the film properly without disassembling the EVSE…. And even then it’ll be tough because its curved and bent at an angle. will probably take a big piece of film, with lots of heating and stretching, and lots of cut off waste. Maybe one day I’ll get bored enough to mess with it. Although it’d be easier and better if Rivian just made it configurable.
T- wraps makes a do it yourself kit I have bought for tinting all the front lights. It supposedly does not wrap around the edges so is easier to install by non professionals. I am guessing if you called him up he would sell you just the part for the light bar as they are a small business and sound pretty friendly. Mine kit should get here tomorrow the same day as my R1T arrives !

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
T- wraps makes a do it yourself kit I have bought for tinting all the front lights. It supposedly does not wrap around the edges so is easier to install by non professionals. I am guessing if you called him up he would sell you just the part for the light bar as they are a small business and sound pretty friendly. Mine kit should get here tomorrow the same day as my R1T arrives !
They don't have a piece listed on their site for the EVSE. Do you have a link?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts