Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

As an EV or future Rivian owner, do you have, or are you planning a home solar array

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Makes sense. My pond uses a fair bit of power too - since I built and installed it last year it's pretty much doubled my houses consumption. I don't have nearly the sq footage you do, but I do run a lot of electronics as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you own an EV (or plan to own a Rivian, as I'm guessing most people here do), do you have solar, or plan to install solar? The energy offset and payback are interesting to me. We are putting in solar with a payback timeline that should put us out until our kids graduate HS. There is always some risk around payback if you are forced to move for 1 reason or another, but having awareness that you have a "window of opportunity" to invest in green energy for your home, offset what is (or will be) higher electric charges each month with requirement for charging your EV or EV's at night, and taking advantage of better technology and tax credits seems like a no brainer to me. Curious what other prospective Rivian owners think. Feel free to comment about your payback period, size of your array, cost of the array, age, etc.
Does anyone currently have 2 EVs and how much electricity would you need to charge both home and cars? I’m looking into solar panels for my home but don’t know how much electricity I would need.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Does anyone currently have 2 EVs and how much electricity would you need to charge both home and cars? I’m looking into solar panels for my home but don’t know how much electricity I would need.
Depends entirely on the efficiency of the EV and how much range you typically need to recover, each day.

A good solar installer would come to your home and determine your specific needs as well as measure your average sun exposure to determine how panels will perform on your roof so they can quote a system size that fits your needs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went through the same exercise three years ago when I got my panels right before getting a Model 3. I just figured out how many miles I drive and multiplied it by the projected efficiency (for example, for the M3, I used 10,000 miles × .25 kWh/mile = 2,500 kWh). From there add a factor for charging efficiency loss (and vampire drain for the Tesla) - I think I used 15% add on. Take into account if you think you will be charging in other locations other than home. If you can charge at work, your home charging will be significantly less. Also, remember that if you do longer trips, you will be charging on the road so only the first charge counts for those.

Once you know the kWh, the solar installer can recommend the size.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Also - Are you planning on offsetting energy consumption from your entire home (including the charging of your EV's) or are you asking about storing electricity in battery packs for direct charging (without sending power back to the grid)?

41 - 50 of 50 Posts