Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long time lurker, first time poster - indeed met a few of you at MKT Houston last month!

I've had my Rivian for a month now, thoroughly enjoying it - few service tickets but nothing insurmountable.

However, today my wife was stopped by police for having 'invalid paper tags' [edit: ‘wrong license plates’]. These are the Rivian provided paper tags, registered to IL. Officer said he could find no such record, and issued a citation - we have to go to court. He also told us that we had to register for TX temp tags.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Our guide told us that the plate is fully licensed under IL Dealer's License and they have made hundreds of these transactions with state of TX. Our car went through inspection in TX, although the License Number on the Texas Vehicle Inspection Report does not match the paper plan - instead it looks like part of the VIN. Is that normal and the same with your Inspection Reports (your guide can send on if you don't have it)?

Our application for TX title is in progress with Houston DMV as of 6/30 according to guide.

My wife phoned the DMV [edit: county tax assessor, with questions about registration/title and provided the IL plate #, VIN, and license # in the vehicle inspection report] and they said they couldn’t find any records and stated there was a change in regulations for paper plates in April. [edit: General advice] was to apply for temporary TX paper plates...

At a loss for what to do here - Guide thinks the officer and DMV [edit: county tax assessor] are wrong, but DMV [edit: county tax assessor] can't find any reference to the license number in their systems.

Any thoughts/experience/wisdom? Feel like the car may be legally 'unusable' at this point :(

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well that sucks. Sounds like extreme overreach by the officer and not a legal reason to stop you (I am not a lawyer) - what if you were an IL resident with IL temporary tags? They couldn't know you were a TX resident until after the stop / running your license / etc. And why didn't they just give you a warning? BTW, how many Teslas are driving around without a front license plate around there? That's required by TX law, but if your location is anything like my state then 75% of the Teslas (and some other models) deliberately violate this all the time. If the officer hasn't constantly been writing tickets for those, then again the question would be why were you stopped? This would be a point to raise in court.

TX has to prove those paper tags are invalid - IMO it's most likely that they just weren't entered in IL yet so the officer couldn't look them up, but that's not an excuse - they cited you as having invalid tags, where's the proof (not just absence of evidence).

I would certainly start compiling documentation for your court date. See if you can look up the temp tag in the IL system, or talk to the IL DMV and get some paperwork from them showing it's a valid temp tag. Likewise get a copy of the bill of sale and application for a TX plate from Rivian. I would also ask Rivian to escalate this - ask for a letter attesting that they legally registered your vehicle according to the state laws of IL and legally filed the paperwork for transfer to TX. Also, Rivian contracts out registration to a company called RegUSA. See if you can get in contact with them, or get a statement from them. The point is to have documentation to show the IL tag is valid and that you followed all the reasonable steps to properly register your vehicle in TX and that there was no intent to violate the law, even if what the officer is claiming about this being illegal really is true.

Rivian is a licensed dealer in the state of IL, so I don't know what TX expects you to do - it's perfectly legal to buy a vehicle in another state. You need temporary tags from that state to get it back to your own state. Most states that I know about give you 60 days to get it licensed in your state if you bring it in from outside, so if you're still within that I don't see how TX can say you're doing something illegal.

In the end, it might still be your responsibility, not Rivians, to ensure the law is followed. Regardless, if the charge sticks then I think Rivian owes you compensation for your time and for any fine.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I should also mention that a LOT of people are having problems getting their registration/title/permanent plates in a timely manner from the Rivian contractor RegUSA. People are having their temporary tags expire with no permanent plates, having problems getting the title or having the title sent to the finance provider, etc. Although I still think the officer had no reason to stop or cite you, your problem is even worse - having to go to court because of something the Rivian contractor either did not do or did wrong. That's just inexcusable because the reason they were hired was to do things CORRECTLY in all 50 states so it's a fundamental failure if they can't do this. I think Rivian should dump them and find someone else. Please keep up the pressure on Rivian to make sure this gets fixed in your favor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well that sucks and is certainly concerning for all of us here in the Houston area. I ordered custom plates almost the same time I took possession of the truck so I'm curious if those arrive first or the original ones do. Glad I came across this thread though, I was just looking for how everyone was dealing with toll tags. HCTRA says you can temporarily register a paper plate and they consider it legit. I suppose we'll find out on that one since my first road trip up to Lake Travis last weekend should have run up a few toll photos of my (rear) license plate ;)

·
Registered
R1T - Silver
4 Posts
Texas is having a well documented problem with counterfeit paper tags and people continuing to use and replace them over and over again. It has led to more scrutiny and a crack down on vehicles with paper tags. Though I am not an expert, it seems this may be a problem both Rivian and the buyers are going to need to address - as everyone has an interest in getting the paperwork done timely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the thoughts - very helpful. Yes, I’ll contact IL DMV and see what paperwork they have. Have also asked Rivian for same, and as you suggested, asked to escalate as a formal response from them would be useful (even though the guides texts have been helpful and she was quick to provide as many docs as she could get her hands on).

I was worried about the paper plates expiring, but actually reassured knowing the registration has been submitted already.

btw I registered the paper plate against my EZTag and it did seem to pick up new tolls correctly at least.

·
Registered
Launch Edition LG/FE
145 Posts
I got stopped today for shorter issue, but was given a verbal warning for the temporary being too small? Not sure how that's a thing. Not to mention all the people that out them in there tinted rear windows where you can't see them let alone read them. I had to give the office the paper temp registration that they put in the under seat storage for them to look it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What does your paper temp registration look like? Not sure I received that. Is it the doc with three permit numbers with a state of IL stamp? I just got a digital copy today.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I should also mention that a LOT of people are having problems getting their registration/title/permanent plates in a timely manner from the Rivian contractor RegUSA. People are having their temporary tags expire with no permanent plates, having problems getting the title or having the title sent to the finance provider, etc. Although I still think the officer had no reason to stop or cite you, your problem is even worse - having to go to court because of something the Rivian contractor either did not do or did wrong. That's just inexcusable because the reason they were hired was to do things CORRECTLY in all 50 states so it's a fundamental failure if they can't do this. I think Rivian should dump them and find someone else. Please keep up the pressure on Rivian to make sure this gets fixed in your favor.
I'm near Austin. I've had my truck for exactly 3 months. My IL paper tag expired on Monday, July 4. I contacted Rivian the week before that and was told that due to problems on their end, none of the title/registration paperwork had even been filed. I was presented with the option of registering on my own or a rental(!) while waiting for Rivian to do it. I opted to do it on my own but I explained that the local County tax office would require me to pay the sales tax on the truck and that I had already paid this to Rivian; Rivian said they'd issue a refund. They're overnighting paperwork (Certificate of Origin) and also prepared a new Purchase Agreement with the previously paid sales tax removed. I went by the County office today just to make sure that I wouldn't need anything else. They couldn't find the VIN in their system and told me that I would also need to get a State inspection performed; I did that but the guy at the shop that did it for me told me that his computer showed it had already been inspected (somewhere - maybe a Texas pre-delivery service center?) but gladly took my money and gave me another inspection receipt. The paperwork from Rivian is supposed to arrive in one day...except the reimbursement check, of course - that could take two weeks I was told. So I'll have to front the approximate $4000 (again) for the sales tax if I don't want to wait for the check to arrive first (and I don't want to wait).

I did order a personalized plate and it arrived over a month ago...the County issued it to me but told me I couldn't install it until my original registration was received (and of course that has never happened).

Incidentally, I questioned the legality of the IL paper plate when I first received it. Despite the fact that is said it was valid for 90 days, Texas law states that vehicles must be registered in the State within 30 days; I would say that the paper plate is technically good for 30 days only in Texas regardless of the fact that it may be good for 90 in Illinois.

In any case, it's a real mess!

·
Registered
467 Posts
This issue sounds like a real nightmare. It's good that Rivian has delayed deliveries for another year for many of us, which should give them ample time to fix this problem [sarcasm emoji here].

Seriously, this does sound like a real nightmare for those affected and I hope it gets successfuly resolved soon. And selfishly, I also hope it's limited to Texas (no offense intended.)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm near Austin. I've had my truck for exactly 3 months. My IL paper tag expired on Monday, July 4. I contacted Rivian the week before that and was told that due to problems on their end, none of the title/registration paperwork had even been filed. I was presented with the option of registering on my own or a rental(!) while waiting for Rivian to do it. I opted to do it on my own but I explained that the local County tax office would require me to pay the sales tax on the truck and that I had already paid this to Rivian; Rivian said they'd issue a refund. They're overnighting paperwork (Certificate of Origin) and also prepared a new Purchase Agreement with the previously paid sales tax removed. I went by the County office today just to make sure that I wouldn't need anything else. They couldn't find the VIN in their system and told me that I would also need to get a State inspection performed; I did that but the guy at the shop that did it for me told me that his computer showed it had already been inspected (somewhere - maybe a Texas pre-delivery service center?) but gladly took my money and gave me another inspection receipt. The paperwork from Rivian is supposed to arrive in one day...except the reimbursement check, of course - that could take two weeks I was told. So I'll have to front the approximate $4000 (again) for the sales tax if I don't want to wait for the check to arrive first (and I don't want to wait).

I did order a personalized plate and it arrived over a month ago...the County issued it to me but told me I couldn't install it until my original registration was received (and of course that has never happened).

Incidentally, I questioned the legality of the IL paper plate when I first received it. Despite the fact that is said it was valid for 90 days, Texas law states that vehicles must be registered in the State within 30 days; I would say that the paper plate is technically good for 30 days only in Texas regardless of the fact that it may be good for 90 in Illinois.

In any case, it's a real mess!
I did manage to finally self-register this morning. Woohoo! Even got my sticker issued for my personalized plate...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Funny enough I saw another R1T this morning in the same parking garage as me downtown with paper plates. They had the launch green and the cross bars on back. So far I've only met one other Texan with an R1T and real plates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Long time lurker, first time poster - indeed met a few of you at MKT Houston last month!

I've had my Rivian for a month now, thoroughly enjoying it - few service tickets but nothing insurmountable.

However, today my wife was stopped by police for having 'invalid paper tags' [edit: ‘wrong license plates’]. These are the Rivian provided paper tags, registered to IL. Officer said he could find no such record, and issued a citation - we have to go to court. He also told us that we had to register for TX temp tags.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Our guide told us that the plate is fully licensed under IL Dealer's License and they have made hundreds of these transactions with state of TX. Our car went through inspection in TX, although the License Number on the Texas Vehicle Inspection Report does not match the paper plan - instead it looks like part of the VIN. Is that normal and the same with your Inspection Reports (your guide can send on if you don't have it)?

Our application for TX title is in progress with Houston DMV as of 6/30 according to guide.

My wife phoned the DMV [edit: county tax assessor, with questions about registration/title and provided the IL plate #, VIN, and license # in the vehicle inspection report] and they said they couldn’t find any records and stated there was a change in regulations for paper plates in April. [edit: General advice] was to apply for temporary TX paper plates...

At a loss for what to do here - Guide thinks the officer and DMV [edit: county tax assessor] are wrong, but DMV [edit: county tax assessor] can't find any reference to the license number in their systems.

Any thoughts/experience/wisdom? Feel like the car may be legally 'unusable' at this point :(

View attachment 6920
I am just outside Dallas and I am having the same issue. My temp plates expired June 30 and I have reached out to my Guide. I got the same weak explanation and was presented with the alternatives of doing it myself and or a rental. I am reluctant to attempt to process this myself for many of the same reasons explained by others.... mostly I don't want to discover other process issues with Rivian... like inspections, sales tax etc. This is the same issue that Carvana has ..The Wall Street Journal , a month or so ago, had a long article about the issue and the damages caused by third party processors. Carvana does not seem to have solved the problem. For me this means I do not intend to drive my Truck until the plates arrive.

As an aside, yesterday Rivian replaced my front passenger seat that was subject to recall . This was actually a pretty efficient process and was done at my home.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am just outside Dallas and I am having the same issue. My temp plates expired June 30 and I have reached out to my Guide. I got the same weak explanation and was presented with the alternatives of doing it myself and or a rental. I am reluctant to attempt to process this myself for many of the same reasons explained by others.... mostly I don't want to discover other process issues with Rivian... like inspections, sales tax etc. This is the same issue that Carvana has ..The Wall Street Journal , a month or so ago, had a long article about the issue and the damages caused by third party processors. Carvana does not seem to have solved the problem. For me this means I do not intend to drive my Truck until the plates arrive.

As an aside, yesterday Rivian replaced my front passenger seat that was subject to recall . This was actually a pretty efficient process and was done at my home.
If you're worried about third party processors, then I'd suggest you do this all yourself; I did. It was relatively painless once Rivian overnighted the Certificate of Origin to me. The only real issue that you'll have to deal with is that your County tax office will want you to pay the sales tax on the vehicle - the sales tax that you already remitted to Rivian. So you can either wait for Rivian to send the refund to you or just pay the County again and wait for the check to arrive. Rivian told me I'd have the check in a week or two max. I had to also get a state inspection before heading to the County office; that was $7. Rivian should have done this at a Texas service center pre-delivery but I guess they're not. Anyway, I did everything essentially over two days but am still waiting for the refund.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Late last week I asked my guide if I could now do my own title work from my 17 June delivery. He replied that Rivian’s only doing that “for a few special cases” and that my registration process was “well under way”. :unsure:🍿:unsure:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts