Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s perhaps somewhat early to be talking about this, but given that both the R1S and R1T will debut this year, I’m assuming they will be eligible to compete for the Motor Trend SUV and Truck of the Year awards. In the case of the R1S it would be the first electric SUV to win, even though there have been 3 previous EV finalists (Tesla Model X, Audi e-tron and Jaguar I-Pace). I’m thinking it’s stiffest EV competitor will be the Ford Mach-E, but on the ICE side the new Jeep Wagoneer might be a worthy rival too.

When it comes to the R1T, my thinking is that it will likely have a formidable competitor in the new Hummer EV (which probably will be available in time to be considered), but probably not the Lordstown Endurance or Tesla Cybertruck, as I believe they won’t come out in time. And does anyone know of significantly refreshed ICE trucks that might pose a significant challenge to the R1T?

One thing is true, though, if any of these two vehicles wins the award (let alone if both did), it would be a major achievement for Rivian, here’s hoping at least one of them pulls it off!

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
147 Posts
If they can deliver on the promises I am sure there we will tons of awards and praise. Both T/S have a shot at making a big dent in a market that as of now has been ignored by the EV markets.

·
Registered
800 Posts
My worry is that the GMC Hummer EV is stiff competition. I would love to see Rivian win both SUV and Truck OTY awards. But it may be more likely that GMC wins for their truck and perhaps Rivian can at least take the SUV award.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It’s perhaps somewhat early to be talking about this, but given that both the R1S and R1T will debut this year, I’m assuming they will be eligible to compete for the Motor Trend SUV and Truck of the Year awards. In the case of the R1S it would be the first electric SUV to win, even though there have been 3 previous EV finalists (Tesla Model X, Audi e-tron and Jaguar I-Pace). I’m thinking it’s stiffest EV competitor will be the Ford Mach-E, but on the ICE side the new Jeep Wagoneer might be a worthy rival too.

When it comes to the R1T, my thinking is that it will likely have a formidable competitor in the new Hummer EV (which probably will be available in time to be considered), but probably not the Lordstown Endurance or Tesla Cybertruck, as I believe they won’t come out in time. And does anyone know of significantly refreshed ICE trucks that might pose a significant challenge to the R1T?

One thing is true, though, if any of these two vehicles wins the award (let alone if both did), it would be a major achievement for Rivian, here’s hoping at least one of them pulls it off!
The 2021 Truck of the year has already been announced

The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX is the 2021 MotorTrend Truck of the Year

Finalist have been announced for the SUV (no Rivian) but the results are not in yet.

Maybe they will have a shot at the 2022 awards....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 2021 Truck of the year has already been announced

The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX is the 2021 MotorTrend Truck of the Year

Finalist have been announced for the SUV (no Rivian) but the results are not in yet.

Maybe they will have a shot at the 2022 awards....
Right, both awards for 2021 were given late last year. I was referring to the 2022 version of both, which will come later this year.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Right, both awards for 2021 were given late last year. I was referring to the 2022 version of both, which will come later this year.
Do you guy also look out for other reports for extra insight?
The J.D. Power Quality Studies would be great to throw in here.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It will be a big upset
Unless Rivian turns out to be garbage it should DESTROY the competition
The R1T is better in every way at the same price
The fact that Mrs Hall has already published it as her favorite and that didn't get blocked is promising
We are so lucky
I can't freaking wait

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
With how well the Mustang Mach-E was received in the awards circuit I think there's a good chance the R1S and/or R1T can bring home a bunch of hardware.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts