Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

How long are you going to keep your Rivian?

7K views 95 replies 48 participants last post by  PENFOLD 
#1 ·
For me it will be before the 5 years or 60k miles is up.

Maybe sooner, depends on what shiny new objects come out.

How about everybody else?

#2 · (Edited)
Until relatively recently, I kept cars for a long time and reserved a Rivian as a replacement for what was at the time a 13 year old Volvo. The hope was that the EV would be our last auto purchase, effectively becoming our forever car.

With the delays in delivery, that plan fell apart, and the Volvo was replaced on it's 15th birthday by a Telluride. The new plan has the Rivian as the Kia's successor, but no longer as a forever car With the rather furious rate of change & improvement in EV's, the Rivian will likely be replaced in a few years by an EV with larger capacity & longer life battery pack (solid state perhaps) that will give even longer range and the cockpit will have more tech, perhaps even something close to FSD.

#6 ·
EVs are essentially laptops with wheels.

Need to replace well beyond the life of the vehicle to keep up with new capabilities from newer models.

There really is no real "upgrade" path.

The next major EV evolution is the solid state battery with higher energy density resulting in much lighter vehicles with longer range and faster charging times.

Frankly, leasing EV makes more sense than leasing ICE vehicles, due to rapid change in EV landscape.

#8 ·
Not sure I really agree with your statements. I have owned a Tesla Model 3 for 3 years. In that time, my car has received new features and capabilities, including greater range, all with OTA updates. My battery life is within 3% of the original. 50,000 miles. Original tires even with spirited 0-60 acceleration in 3.2 seconds... never gets old. Plenty of brakes left. No reason why this car won't continue to improve and last >250K miles over the next 10 years. While I bought the Performance version, Tesla offered a Performance Upgrade all delivered via OTA SW update for those that paid.

Similar experience with my R1S, albeit with only 2 months. I have had 2 OTA updates so far. Multiple improvements (driver+ most significant and greater range). 0-60 in 3.1 seconds... also never gets old.

NEVER in 25 years of owning an ICE car, has the car improved over time, in terms of features, performance, handling, MPG etc.

#13 ·
If and when I actually GET the truck, and optimistically hoping it's not one of the rare "lemon" variants, it'll probably be my sunset vehicle. I'm 70 and the OTA changes to my personal chassis and OS are not exactly "upgrades". In fact, if/when that FSD feature comes into play will be much appreciated.

#19 ·
I'm with you on this @Igotnuttin, particularly regarding FSD. From what I can see, the odds are very good that any given Rivian won't be a lemon. On the other hand, there are some elements in a 2023 build that will be far inferior to those of say, a 2030 model.

One very big improvement that seems close to being production ready - perhaps quite a bit sooner than 2030 - is in battery storage. Solid state batteries seem to be on the cusp of realizing their potential and being ready for manufacturing at scale. Once that happens, EV weight will come down and both range and durability will increase substantially. Of course, if the rate of change of improvement in the charging infrastructure continues, the battery storage issue becomes less important.

As for FSD, that feature in it's "true" form can't come soon enough for me. How great would it be to pull up to your destination for the evening and simply exit the car? The empty car could then go find a space and simply park itself, or perhaps it could be programmed to become an unmanned Uber for a couple of hours. Either way, it returns to pick to you up for the ride home when summoned. And yes, I probably read too many Tom Swift books as a kid.

#14 ·
I have been waiting 3+ years. I will keep it at least that long. Part of me thinks that I may keep it longer because I like the look, I will like the speed and I like the heaviness. It just keeps my family safer if there is an accident. So, I would like to say 10 years. Speaking of tech, my MME has had no issues in close to two years. Technologically, it doesn’t feel like it is two years old but brand new. I think having Apple Play also adds to the newness feeling. It looks brand new too. So, if our first EV is a sign of things to come, I should be good for a decade.

#53 ·
Let me tell you about heaviness...I backed into a Jeep Cherokee. Yes, the Rivian beeped and dinged warning me what was about to happen but I was distracted upon just hearing about the death of a family friends child and the Cherokee was in my driveway where there isn't usually a car.

The rear quarter panel on the Rivian got slightly dented - the Cherokee looked like it had been hit by a Sherman tank. It crumpled like it was made of generic tin foil.

#15 ·
My previous two cars were a Honda S2000 that I put 115,000 miles on over about 10 years and a Jeep Wrangler I put 164,000 miles on over about 11 years. I currently own a Tesla Model Y that I've put 71,000 miles on in 2.5 years. I don't see any reason to get rid of it. I suspect the Rivian will be similar.

#16 ·
when I bought I wanted to keep it at least 10 years. Now I doubt I’d keep it past warranty and will probably sell much sooner than that.

#22 ·
I am going to see how reliability and service shake out over time as I hit warranty expiration, then decide what to do. I too have seen amazing advancements with the SW in just 1 year of ownership, which I have never seen from any other OEM, but I am not coming from a Tesla (I am coming from other ICE trucks). The updates make me feel like my truck is better than when I first got it, which also makes me feel better about a depreciating asset. I am also keeping my eye on what Scout drops, and I while I will not be interested in a R2 coming from a R1, I would be interested in keeping current, keeping all options open and I think this new Scout could potentially be as good a fit for me (personally) as the Rivian for a few reasons, but we'll see.

#29 ·
Just to add a little more here. I have a 2016 Tesla Model S with AP1 hardware. I have had a lot of enhancements to the vehicle since I picked it up, some that come to mind are pin to drive, reading text, pin to lock glovebox, several updates to what the app can do. Many others as well, The hardware is old enough that many of the new features that go out are not supported on it but all of the hardware still is more than acceptable and works as well or better than when I picked it up.

Like anything, if you want the latest and greatest you will be trading up but by no means will these R1 series vehicle be so outdated in 2 or 3 years that they are not usable. I am certain they will work as well in 7 or 8 years (probably longer) as they do today.

#32 ·
Just to add a little more here. I have a 2016 Tesla Model S with AP1 hardware. I have had a lot of enhancements to the vehicle since I picked it up, some that come to mind are pin to drive, reading text, pin to lock glovebox, several updates to what the app can do. Many others as well, The hardware is old enough that many of the new features that go out are not supported on it but all of the hardware still is more than acceptable and works as well or better than when I picked it up.

Like anything, if you want the latest and greatest you will be trading up but by no means will these R1 series vehicle be so outdated in 2 or 3 years that they are not usable. I am certain they will work as well in 7 or 8 years (probably longer) as they do today.
But you can also upgrade your hardware from AP1, can’t you?

#30 ·
Since you've added, regardless of features that's been added (I like the added features too on my Model 3), it does not change the HW architecture and its limitations. Since 2~3 yrs is a relatively short period, doubt not many noticeable changes; however, go out 5~6 yrs just as my 2016 OLED TV looks great, by itself, put it next to 2023 OLED TV, there are noticeable differences and is inferior in many aspects.

Many Tesla owners of earlier S,X and 3 that have replaced it with newer would tell you that there are noticeable differences in terms of build quality, sound proofing, ride comfort and so on. It doesn't mean that the older vehicle are not usable, as you say, but there are differences.

In 7~8 yrs, it is most likely that R1 will be in the 2nd gen, if Rivian survives. I expect R2 to be in many ways more technologically advanced than today's R1, even though being the flagship vehicles for Rivian.

All manufactures of goods plans obsolescences to generate new sales. Sometimes its due to subsystems and parts suppliers forces the change, other times its because there are better ways of designing and building it. But always motivated by newer products generating more sales. Reportedly, Model 3 and Y are being refreshed later this year. The original Model 3 is now 5~6 yrs old design. While not useless, it is getting bit too long on its tooth, so to speak. I'm sure many will replace the original design with new.

#31 ·
All manufactures of goods plans obsolescences to generate new sales.
Yes and no. Tesla keeps making improvements but the cars look the same so no real obsolescence. Apple example earlier, yes new ones have improvements but Apple has not made my 2015 iMac obsolete in any real way. I love new tech but there's really no reason to get a new iMac, the 2015 was a great product. Same is true for 2019 Tesla really. I can wait out Rivian's production timing and new models of other vehicles to compete with it, Silverado or Blazer could knock me off my Rivian.

#41 ·
I love my R1T. I’ve had it for a year, driven 12k essentially problem free miles, my Rivian rep is responsive, service has been good (although I’ve only had one issue requiring keeping my truck for a few days) and communication and tech support has been great. I’m thrilled to be on the leading edge of something truly unique and exciting and am more than willing to tolerate a few mysteries and shoulder shrugs along the way. Sometimes the truck has a mind of its own or doesn’t do something I think it should, but then I spend a day crawling over rocksbeing shot into hyperspace or answering question from fascinated people and any frustration evaporates.
People love to complain. Much more than they are likely to report positive experiences. I think this amazing vehicle/company has an incredible future and the R1T is loved by the vast majority of those who are lucky enough to wake up to one in their driveway. They’re just too busy out having fun to sit home and write ranting reviews. KW

#43 ·
Just wanted to chime in, VIN ~63XX here. Coming up on one year since delivery, our experience thus far has been fantastic. Best vehicle I've ever driven. Crazy fast, capable off-road, and the software is miles better today than it was when we took delivery. We've had to take it in for service a few times, they have been awesome and super flexible. My one complaint would be the powered tonneau, which broke 2 weeks after delivery but it sounds like they'll hopefully have a replacement this summer.

#49 ·
My VIN is in the early 6,000's and while I have had a few issues, Rivian has always addressed them. Sure, waiting 5 weeks for a mobile tech visit can be frustrating, but they do eventually show up and do the work. I love my R1T and would buy it again. My only lingering gripe is the lack of Apple Car Play and/or SiriusXM.

#56 ·
Hey! My buddy asked for my thoughts and I figured I’d make this my first post. I ordered my forest green R1S 10/24/21, took delivery 2/23/23. I had a model Y before and that was an awesome car, too. Smaller but not so much as to be less comfortable for my size (6’1” 250#), it was more right sized for my daily use, but trips with the kids and gear would get cramped, bikes on the back killed efficiency and ski days tight enough to make us take the wife’s Honda Pilot.

I love the truck for all of its capabilities and size is perfect for the family and any recreation I get into ( camping, mtbiking, skiing). I had an 08 4Runner before the Y and the Rivian is a perfect mashup of the Y and 4Runner. The y wasn’t big enough, the Toyota was a dinosaur.

Hard to say given how long I’ll keep it given How much the tech is changing. I actually worry less about the Teslas than the Rivian past warranty simply for the inclusion of the adjustable suspension, I’ve already had a sensor give off a warning that stopped the truck from changing modes. Mobile service messed with it for a while but recommended it go in to the service center. Hasn’t given warning in the week since but I expect I’ll make that call soon.

My brother has a 2012 Tesla S and while there have been updates past his car’s capabilities. It is still performing as well as it ever had and higher miles is not as significant a factor in wear on these EVs as it is on ICE vehicles.

So unless some other remarkable tech revolution rears it’s head or this truck proves itself to be of the lemon variety, I could see keeping it for 10-15 years easy.

#63 ·
Sounds like it really depends on how much of a "techie" you are. Mechanically, an EV's skateboard platform should be relatively trouble-free for 500,000 miles or more. However, what technical bells and whistles will grab your attention in the future and get you to "upgrade" to something else???? Using the computer analogy....if you were interested in basic word processing functions...and that's still really all you want to do, then a 1st generation IBM PC can handle all your needs a whole lot faster than you can type. BUT.........if over the years things like YouTube videos got your attention and you just had to have that new technology, then you've likely upgraded to a new computer every 3 years.

Cars follow a very similar trend. Some of us will probably keep a Rivian for 2 or 3 years before some new model catches our eyes. Others will be more than happy to keep a Rivian as long as we can keep it on the road and running.

Variety is the spice of life!!!! Enjoy the Rivian adventure!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.