Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure many of us are disappointed to not see the 400+ mile battery at launch. Hopefully on Monday we get to find out about the the price difference between the 135KW battery and the bigger 180KW battery. So how much more would you be willing to drop on the bigger battery? #rangeanxiety

·
Registered
12 Posts
OMG, I was so disappointed about the 400kwh is not available out the gate. Not sure how much I'd want to spend on it, but another $5k seems reasonable. Also, gonna be looking for that extra bed based auxiliary battery.

I chatted with support about a battery upgrade/exchange program, they didn't want to say anything but to monitor the launch on Monday. So there is that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting! Yeah I can feel the range anxiety and I am leaning towards the bigger one as well, but then I just looked at all the level 3 charging available and it looks like that the anxiety is not really justified. I'd agree that for an extra $5k, I'd buy the bigger battery, but anything above $8-10k and I'd say it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am sure many of us are disappointed to not see the 400+ mile battery at launch. Hopefully on Monday we get to find out about the the price difference between the 135KW battery and the bigger 180KW battery. So how much more would you be willing to drop on the bigger battery? #rangeanxiety
Going to be satisfied with the 300 mile range, a full day unless you are beating up the interstate. Find a charger out about 200+ miles and take an hour break. Now you are good for another 250 miles. Sounds like enough for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It was the 400mi battery range that SPARKED my interest in the Rivian SUV. Most of the automakers out there, as well as the newer startups are boasting 300+plus range. I placed my preorder recently, and just had this discussion with my friend who preordered over a year ago. I'm upset to hear that the 400 mile range battery packs are not available at launch! Occasionally I use my SUV to pull my trailer. I can expect the 400 mile range be reduced when pulling another 6k pounds, but I can only imagine how many times I would have to stop to recharge with the 300 mile range battery pack!
My friend as well I is FUMING to hear that the 400 mile range pack will require a longer wait!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I might do it for $5k. In reality, how often do I really drive 300 miles? From my door to Yosemite is 329 miles. My jeep only gets 200 miles on a tank.

I guess if the 300 mile 135 kWH only gets 200 miles in real life situations, I might think differently.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I might do it for $5k. In reality, how often do I really drive 300 miles? From my door to Yosemite is 329 miles. My jeep only gets 200 miles on a tank.

I guess if the 300 mile 135 kWH only gets 200 miles in real life situations, I might think differently.
I would say start thinking differently. Because in cold weather at highway speeds 200 miles will be about it especially if there is any head wind, or rain, or snow. When driving my Tesla S100D across Kansas to Denver in the winter at 15 degrees I charged to 285 miles and almost didn't make it to the next supercharger about 145 miles away. And I had to slow down to do that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It was the 400mi battery range that SPARKED my interest in the Rivian SUV. Most of the automakers out there, as well as the newer startups are boasting 300+plus range. I placed my preorder recently, and just had this discussion with my friend who preordered over a year ago. I'm upset to hear that the 400 mile range battery packs are not available at launch! Occasionally I use my SUV to pull my trailer. I can expect the 400 mile range be reduced when pulling another 6k pounds, but I can only imagine how many times I would have to stop to recharge with the 300 mile range battery pack!
My friend as well I is FUMING to hear that the 400 mile range pack will require a longer wait!
Me too! That was one of the main reasons I pulled the trigger on the deposit. This just seems ass-backwards to have a better range model be released not long after the initial model (which is supposed to be the best model.) Anyone who buys a Rivian in June, will have a hard time trying to justify their purchase when "the best" model is released 8 months later. WTF?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Me too! That was one of the main reasons I pulled the trigger on the deposit. This just seems ass-backwards to have a better range model be released not long after the initial model (which is supposed to be the best model.) Anyone who buys a Rivian in June, will have a hard time trying to justify their purchase when "the best" model is released 8 months later. WTF?
So if nobody buys the launch what will happen to Rivian?

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I agree, completely disappointed with the delay in the launch of 400+ as this is the only one I’m interested in. I am struggling to understand the strategy of not launching the vehicle Rivian could charge the largest premium for first - similar to Tesla (I have a Model Y Dual Motor). This is particularly true with other competitors set to come to market in the next year or two. Makes me a bit concerned if there is going to be a longer delay in the launch date for the 400+ . Hopefully, we learn more on Monday. Probably not, as they said more info once production begins. Totally bummed!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I still think it has something to do with a "sweet spot" between max performance with 135kwh battery and trade off on weight for more range. Batteries are heavy...

·
Registered
23 Posts

My concern is even if I may not drive that distance, the higher battery models are going to be more desirable and probably depreciate less, making it worth my while to choose the larger battery. 300 miles would be fine for me. Takes forever to drive small distances around the SF Bay Area anyway

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree on a lot of the points made here. Hopefully we will find out here in a few hours what the cost differences are. Another point, what would happen to Rivian if 80% of the folks order the 400+ mile battery? that should encourage them to pull up their timelines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I agree on a lot of the points made here. Hopefully we will find out here in a few hours what the cost differences are. Another point, what would happen to Rivian if 80% of the folks order the 400+ mile battery? that should encourage them to pull up their timelines.

JK, just found this video of a configuration:

looks like the max battery is an extra $10k. What do you think now? Is that worth it for you?

·
Registered
27 Posts
For those of us planning to tow campers with the Rivian, the 400+ mi battery system is pretty much mandatory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I configured my R1S Adventure and just saw the post $10,000 for Max package option for the R1T 400mi battery pack for the R1T.
I believe that this is very STEEP!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts