Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
148 Posts
My understanding is that you can change your configuration at any time if want to.

Regarding price, well, the only announcement when I made my pre order was that initial price would be 75k. That went down to 67,500 for a mid range battery size. So I guess initial price will be around 60k?

Why people are not talking about that? Sure Rivian could have included all the bells and whistles they talked about and sell half dozen cars for 120k like other automakers. Glad they didn't go that route.

What about the recent post of $10,000 for the upgrade to the 400 mile range battery. And most recent $7500 to the 375 mile range battery? I think that this is the greatest curve ball. As none of this was mentioned when I even submitted my configuration!

·
Registered
135 Posts
First I'm hearing about this. Can you provide the source?
No idea what that's referring to. There are only 3 variants, 250 mile, 300 and 400. The 300 is the current base for the Launch models and the 400 will be a $10K add-on starting with the January 2022 models. The 250 will likely get a lower entry price/feature set.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Regarding price, well, the only announcement when I made my pre order was that initial price would be 75k. That went down to 67,500 for a mid range battery size. So I guess initial price will be around 60k?
I don't know when you placed your pre-order but when I did (Apr 2019) the prices were $69k for the R1T and $72,500 for the R1S which was the same when they revealed in Nov 2018. I'm not aware of those prices "officially" changing until the configurator came online last November. (Though I do recall some rumblings of a price adjustment during that time period (Apr 2019 and Nov 2020), but nothing official. None the less I could have missed it.)

I don't know what the $67,500 is in relation to nor how you get to $60k besides factoring in the US federal tax credit? If so, you still have to come up with the full amount initially. And to get the $7500 "credit" when you file your taxes in the following year, you have to at least have a $7500 tax liability to get the full credit which is not the case for everyone, hence why Rivian does not include that in their pricing like another large EV manufacturer does on their website. So it's not an automatic $7500 reduction if that's what you were inferring with the $7500 reduction down to $60k.

·
Registered
191 Posts
No idea what that's referring to. There are only 3 variants, 250 mile, 300 and 400. The 300 is the current base for the Launch models and the 400 will be a $10K add-on starting with the January 2022 models. The 250 will likely get a lower entry price/feature set.
Exactly. That's why I had asked @Broker21 to provide a source of that info or at least elaborate on it. ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
And to get the $7500 "credit" when you file your taxes in the following year, you have to at least have a $7500 tax liability to get the full credit which is not the case for everyone, hence why Rivian does not include that in their pricing like another large EV manufacturer does on their website. So it's not an automatic $7500 reduction if that's what you were inferring with the $7500 reduction down to $60k.
There was some discussion of the current administration modifying that $7,500 to an immediate credit at point of sale. Not sure that will make it through by this summer (or at all).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bad link

Oops! We ran into some problems.
The requested page could not be found.
Apologies, seems like it does not keep the link when I post it. See below for the screenshot and the title on RivianForums

$7,500 to spend on R1S: upgrade to Adventure trim, or 75mi of range?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I mixed up some numbers but the final point remains.

I got the 60k by considering that $67,500 is the 300 miles version and assuming that the smaller version must be at least $7,500 cheaper. Granted, it's not official. But I can't imagine that the smaller battery will be much above 60k.

So the starting price will likely be in the park of 60k. Maybe less. That's a big reduction over the 69k announcement.
I don't know when you placed your pre-order but when I did (Apr 2019) the prices were $69k for the R1T and $72,500 for the R1S which was the same when they revealed in Nov 2018. I'm not aware of those prices "officially" changing until the configurator came online last November. (Though I do recall some rumblings of a price adjustment during that time period (Apr 2019 and Nov 2020), but nothing official. None the less I could have missed it.)

I don't know what the $67,500 is in relation to nor how you get to $60k besides factoring in the US federal tax credit? If so, you still have to come up with the full amount initially. And to get the $7500 "credit" when you file your taxes in the following year, you have to at least have a $7500 tax liability to get the full credit which is not the case for everyone, hence why Rivian does not include that in their pricing like another large EV manufacturer does on their website. So it's not an automatic $7500 reduction if that's what you were inferring with the $7500 reduction down to $60k.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I want the 400 mile R1S too. But the Hummer looks pretty cool. I like that you can take off the roof. Which do you think will be ready first, Hummer or R1S with 400 mile battery?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I want the 400 mile R1S too. But the Hummer looks pretty cool. I like that you can take off the roof. Which do you think will be ready first, Hummer or R1S with 400 mile battery?
GMC says the $112K, 350 mile model will release this fall. The cheaper ones will follow starting late 2022.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I mixed up some numbers but the final point remains.

I got the 60k by considering that $67,500 is the 300 miles version and assuming that the smaller version must be at least $7,500 cheaper. Granted, it's not official. But I can't imagine that the smaller battery will be much above 60k.

So the starting price will likely be in the park of 60k. Maybe less. That's a big reduction over the 69k announcement.
OK, I got it. Configurator has the R1T w/ Large pack (135 kWh, 300 mi) and the Explore package at $67,500. And to round things out the R1S with same setup at $70K. The original prices were $69k and $72,500, respectively, but for the smallest pack (105 kWh, 240 mi).

Rivian's battery pack is made up of battery modules. Each module is 15 kWh. Given that ...
The 135 kWh (large) BP has 9 battery modules. 180 kWh (max) BP has 12. For those 3 additional battery modules Rivian prices the max pack at $10k which roughly breaks down to $3333 per module.

The 105 kWh (standard?) BP has 7 battery modules. That's 2 battery modules less than the 135. So that would be about $6666 less for the 105 kWh BP. So, yea, that's close to $7500.

Bottom line, the base (105 kWh BP) prices for R1T and R1S have come down over $8k and $9k respectively since the original prices were announced at the reveal. It will be interesting to see how Rivian prices out the options that make up the Adventure package and all the other features they haven't given us any details on, e.g. roof rack system, etc.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Rivian's battery pack is made up of battery modules. Each module is 15 kWh. Given that ...
The 135 kWh (large) BP has 9 battery modules. 180 kWh (max) BP has 12. For those 3 additional battery modules Rivian prices the max pack at $10k which roughly breaks down to $3333 per module.

The 105 kWh (standard?) BP has 7 battery modules. That's 2 battery modules less than the 135. So that would be about $6666 less for the 105 kWh BP. So, yea, that's close to $7500.
We don't know how many kWh the packs will be, now. Rivian pulled the info from their site and is instead referring to them by estimated range (300/400 mile packs). So it's possible they may reduce (or increase) the size of the packs, based on EPA estimates. So I'm not as confident your rigid math based on 15kWh modules will hold true.

Furthermore, Rivian is a lifestyle brand, and as such they're pricing their options based on what people will pay, and not necessarily a linear scale or fixed profit margin.

·
Registered
22 Posts
GMC says the $112K, 350 mile model will release this fall. The cheaper ones will follow starting late 2022.
That's about what my P85 Model S cost in Feb 2014, and I only got 265 miles and is still a great car.
Buying the first electric hummers may be asking for trouble. A friend of mine says, "never buy the first ones of anything"
My main concern since day one with non-Tesla vehicles is charging. People will charge at home 90% of the time, but a few bad experiences with other charging networks (EA, blink, chargepoint) may cause people to shun EVs. Elon did it right by making SC network.

·
Registered
148 Posts
This is definitely true. Using as exemple our favorite company Tesla, they adjust the price all the time based on demand factors. People may or may not like, but they do find a way to hit their delivery targets.

I don't think Rivian should go that extreme. But certainly they won't do something as simple as adjusting for the cost of the battery.

Furthermore, Rivian is a lifestyle brand, and as such they're pricing their options based on what people will pay, and not necessarily a linear scale or fixed profit margin.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Buying the first electric hummers may be asking for trouble. A friend of mine says, "never buy the first ones of anything"
So what if you substitute "Rivians" for "hummers" in that statement? since you are on this forum, I assume you do not listen to that friend or yours.

I have orders for both, and am planning on getting one of each. R1S for the wife, Hummer for me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We don't know how many kWh the packs will be, now. Rivian pulled the info from their site and is instead referring to them by estimated range (300/400 mile packs). So it's possible they may reduce (or increase) the size of the packs, based on EPA estimates. So I'm not as confident your rigid math based on 15kWh modules will hold true.

That may be true. I hadn't realized Rivian removed that info from their website. It was there for so long with many articles using those numbers too. None the less, my math wasn't meant to be rigid but more of using what was known as a guide to help derive at an estimated cost of the different battery pack sizes. Regardless of what the actually kWh per battery "module" is, when compared to the large pack the max pack has 3 extra modules and the standard(?) pack will have 2 less. Factor in the price for the large and max packs, which are known, makes it rather straight forward to come up with an estimated price for an R1 with the standard pack. Now, did Rivian change up the number of modules that will be in each battery pack, sure that's possible, but I would think being this close to production they haven't. Regardless, just working with, what was, known information versus working from nothing and conjecture for a simple exercise that may help someone get in the ballpark for an estimate on the cost of the standard pack.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Regardless, just working with, what was, known information versus working from nothing and conjecture for a simple exercise that may help someone get in the ballpark for an estimate on the cost of the standard pack.
You're ignoring the fact that Rivian doesn't price it's product linearly or based on a fixed profit margin.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts