Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a little story I thought I’d share with my Rivian brethren.
I have an enormous dog. He’s an Anatolian Shepherd, his name is Samson and he’s my best friend.
A couple of nights ago, after a tough day dealing with life, I decided I needed to check out for a few hours and have some alone time in the mountains. My wife and I live in some of the most remarkable, isolated and beautiful country in the US. Our home is on about 50 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile driveway. We love living as a visitor in our natural surroundings and find that it’s therapy in a demanding world.
The other day I needed some therapy. So I picked up a six pack, loaded Samson in the R1T, and headed south to a small, isolated reservoir on the Oregon/California border we call Applegate Lake. It’s lovely, and exactly what I needed. Samson and I were completely alone amidst thousands of acres of Siskyou mountain wilderness and drove down an old boat ramp to the water. I unloaded Samson, unpacked my IPAs and took my seat on the tailgate to watch the evening happen.
It was an idyllic scene, until Samson’s ears perked up and his attention became focused on a spot somewhere half way up the mountain to our right. Samson is a great dog, but when his pursuit instinct kicks in there’s nothing I can do to stop him. He leaped up, toenails scratching on the pavement and bolted full speed up the ramp, climbed a steep talus slope to the highway and shot up the mountain side. All I could hear was his excited bark trailing off as he got further and further away.
I hadn’t counted on this. He’s done this before and always comes back, but it might take several hours and it was getting dark fast. The only way to get home before midnight was to go up after him. I was totally unprepared, wearing a pair of slippery Sketchers and no headlamp. I drove the R1T up to a spot on the highway where I’d last heard Samson and parked. It was almost dark on a moonless night at the foot of a steep slope of buck brush, struggling pine trees and scree. Really?
Then, the epiphany hit me. I remembered RJ’s 7777th battery! I popped open the door and extracted my salvation, the flashlight hidden in the door frame!
I still didn’t relish the idea of climbing the slippery slope up the mountainside, but at least I could see. Climbing up a steep wash, I came to some large firs and heard a familiar sound, the snapping of jaws and the grunts made by a black bear that has been chased up a tree. Continuing a few more yards and using the powerful beam of the flashlight, I spotted him about 50 feet up in a fir right in front of me. I knew Samson was nearby and scanned the forest with my lamp until I saw his eyes a few yards away glowing back at me. When I called him, he came right away, obviously proud of his prize and wanting to show it off.
I resisted the impulse to give him the “What were you thinking?” speech and instead began the slip and slide back down to the highway and our ride home.
So, many thanks to RJ and the R1T design team. I might still be wandering about the wilds of Southern Oregon or spending the night in my truck, if it weren’t for Rivian’s heads up and creative adventure features.
Actually, a night in the truck might not be too bad. The stereo’s awesome!

· Registered
105 Posts
Is this story yours? If not, do you know who the original post was by? I live in this area and have been wondering if it was too far from a service center to be a deliverable location at this point. Glad this pup is ok, the bears have been coming down off the mountains a ton this year, even to the valley floor. Think it’s cause all the wild blackberries died and they’re hungry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts