Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When it comes to using the R1T on kayak excursions, dimensions like bed height, cab height, rack mount positions and overall specs of the crossbars all seem ideal from information Rivian has provided so far. I doubt we'll run into problems when we finally know everything because right now its still limited. Do any other kayakers here have concerns about what mounting will be like?
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive parking light

This leaked image shows more of what we can expect from the crossbars.
Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah I would love more info here. I have 4 kayaks. They all fit in the back of my Tundra TRD Pro. I’m pretty sure I’m going to need a trailer with the rivian. I don’t see how a 12’ can hang over the box on the bars. Probably can’t get four on the roof (nor do I want to heman them up there anymore). I was hoping there will be a bed extender. I do have a hitch extension but that sucks on a long trip.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yeah I would love more info here. I have 4 kayaks. They all fit in the back of my Tundra TRD Pro. I’m pretty sure I’m going to need a trailer with the rivian. I don’t see how a 12’ can hang over the box on the bars. Probably can’t get four on the roof (nor do I want to heman them up there anymore). I was hoping there will be a bed extender. I do have a hitch extension but that sucks on a long trip.
Wait, Toyota makes a Tundra with a 12' bed? Since when?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wait, Toyota makes a Tundra with a 12' bed? Since when?
I was referring to having a 12’ kayak sitting on the bars over the bed of the R1T with a 4.5’ box. It would hang 7.5’ off the back. I have a short bed with bed extender. They only hang about 4’ out the back.
i

·
Registered
814 Posts
I was referring to having a 12’ kayak sitting on the bars over the bed of the R1T with a 4.5’ box. It would hang 7.5’ off the back. I have a short bed with bed extender. They only hang about 4’ out the back.
Keep in mind the Tundra has a conventional hinge (rotates on a fixed pivot) and the Rivian has a gooseneck hinge, which causes the tailgate to extend when lowered -- giving the Rivian a longer floor when the tailgate is down.

The Tundra CrewMax bed with tailgate down provides approximately 89.2" of length.

The Rivian R1T bed with tailgate down provides approximately 82" of length.

You're only 7" off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Keep in mind the Tundra has a conventional hinge (rotates on a fixed pivot) and the Rivian has a gooseneck hinge, which causes the tailgate to extend when lowered -- giving the Rivian a longer floor when the tailgate is down.

The Tundra CrewMax bed with tailgate down provides approximately 89.2" of length.

The Rivian R1T bed with tailgate down provides approximately 82" of length.

You're only 7" off.
I don’t think you’re reading anything I’m writing. 👋🏻

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would think a Yakima Long Arm or some type of hitch mount extender would provide the needed support if you wanted to use the bed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would think a Yakima Long Arm or some type of hitch mount extender would provide the needed support if you wanted to use the bed.
I have one of those.
Odd, I was thinking the same thing about you.

The Rivian bed seems like it’ll only be 7” shorter than the Tundra. If that doesn’t make sense then I guess I can’t help you.
I can read the specs just fine sir. I was clearly talking about mounting them above the bed on the cross bars. Kayak mounts were leaked recently.

I had already mentioned having a long hitch arm and how that’s not ideal on a long trip.

I’d much prefer access to the bed and a solution for four kayaks. There also is not a bed extender that we know about so laying them flat hanging out the back means other gear needs to be secured further.

7” shorter doesn’t answer any of those questions:).

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was referring to having a 12’ kayak sitting on the bars over the bed of the R1T with a 4.5’ box. It would hang 7.5’ off the back. I have a short bed with bed extender. They only hang about 4’ out the back. View attachment 1907 i
Awesome pic! 😄 ~although I might be a bit intimidated if I were driving behind you... the lens distortion makes it look like they flair out! I currently have a bed extender for my Ridgeline that I’m thinking about holding onto, in case I can rig it somehow on the R1T. Can’t imagine it will add anything to the Ridgeline’s trade in value when that time comes, so I might as well hang onto it. That might help you, as it looks like you’re good with rigging already. 😏 Bring on Summer!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome pic! 😄 ~although I might be a bit intimidated if I were driving behind you... the lens distortion makes it look like they flair out! I currently have a bed extender for my Ridgeline that I’m thinking about holding onto, in case I can rig it somehow on the R1T. Can’t imagine it will add anything to the Ridgeline’s trade in value when that time comes, so I might as well hang onto it. That might help you, as it looks like you’re good with rigging already. 😏 Bring on Summer!
I’m ready for the summer! Here is a side angle.
I put the 12’ in the middle. The other three are 10’.
Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had already mentioned having a long hitch arm and how that’s not ideal on a long trip.

I’d much prefer access to the bed and a solution for four kayaks.
Sounds like you need a trailer for longer trips. Especially if you want easy bed access...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like you need a trailer for longer trips. Especially if you want easy bed access...
Yeah. I’m just curious to see more of the rack systems for the bed and roof. I don’t have room for a trailer and there are neighborhood restrictions about parking it outside here. I’m sure I’ll figure something out. I can’t wait for this truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts