Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to mount a couple of extension ladders on the R1T and was wondering how it could work on this pickup? The bed and roof cargo mounts seem like a good starting point, especially with official Rivian crossover being available at launch. Can they be used as part of a ladder mount setup?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Rivian has said that the crossbars will have attachment points for accessories. If Rivian doesn't offer something directly, there would be a market for another company (or enterprising individual) to create an attachment for this purpose.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would expect a higher extension rack system to be offered for those wanting a higher roof level platform to carry ladders, lumber, etc... As @CommodoreAmiga mentioned if not Rivian then the aftermarket will be quick to jump on this I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@CommodoreAmiga @FirstStateR1T Any other preferences to what should come? Like brands (Thule, Yakima, Rhino Rack, etc.), material (aluminum?), dimensions, and any others? I hope Rivian is giving aftermarket companies a head start on specs before the pickup and SUV are ready for launch.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Aluminum is preferable, imo, unless the specific use case requires a different material. Aluminum looks good, doesn't have unsightly oxidation (like steel), is relatively light and inexpensive for its strength, and is easy to machine.

I'm a fan of Thule products. I've used Yakima, as well, and they're fine, too -- but I give the edge to Thule.

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes traditional accessory vendors to build stuff for Rivian. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more enthusiast-built products and parts from fringe vendors, at first.

·
Registered
80 Posts
@CommodoreAmiga @FirstStateR1T Any other preferences to what should come? Like brands (Thule, Yakima, Rhino Rack, etc.), material (aluminum?), dimensions, and any others? I hope Rivian is giving aftermarket companies a head start on specs before the pickup and SUV are ready for launch.
I too have owned both Yakima and Thule Products, no preference either way. Integration with the factory bed rail inserts will be key and I would think a non-issue on both the OEM and Aftermarket side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would consider getting a telescoping ladder that can tuck away in the bed nice and easy. That said, I don't regularly use a ladder for work so take my suggestion as nothing more than food for thought at best.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I keep a folding telescoping ladder in my truck 24/7 and don't often need something longer than 18':

Unfortunately the packed length is just under 6' so the Rivian bed wont work for this. If the bed comes in at 55" then I don't think you'll get any decent size telescoping ladder in there without the tailgate down.

For extension ladders I plan on using a load extender. My second vehicle is a 170 Sprinter and this setup still wont be as long as that:

I'm willing to compromise in whatever way to use an EV as my daily driver. It certainly won't be ideal for a work truck but I think the benefits of the truck outweigh the negatives.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aluminum is preferable, imo, unless the specific use case requires a different material. Aluminum looks good, doesn't have unsightly oxidation (like steel), is relatively light and inexpensive for its strength, and is easy to machine.

I'm a fan of Thule products. I've used Yakima, as well, and they're fine, too -- but I give the edge to Thule.

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes traditional accessory vendors to build stuff for Rivian. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more enthusiast-built products and parts from fringe vendors, at first.
That easy to machine part will be important when it comes to making crossbars, racks, accessories for them, etc. more aerodynamic. Being an EV we might see more considerations how range will be impacted but I'm thinking it wont be by much. If anyone here can speak on this from experience, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I keep a folding telescoping ladder in my truck 24/7 and don't often need something longer than 18':

Unfortunately the packed length is just under 6' so the Rivian bed wont work for this. If the bed comes in at 55" then I don't think you'll get any decent size telescoping ladder in there without the tailgate down.

For extension ladders I plan on using a load extender. My second vehicle is a 170 Sprinter and this setup still wont be as long as that:
[/URL]

I'm willing to compromise in whatever way to use an EV as my daily driver. It certainly won't be ideal for a work truck but I think the benefits of the truck outweigh the negatives.

That TriCam looks like a great attachment to have. Alleviates some of my concerns about the bed length for when I want to haul long items such as lumber. I’ve added it to my HD Wish List. Thanks for Sharing!

·
Registered
11 Posts
That Tricam gizmo is going to be handy. Leave the roof racks on the roof and support the load at the back end of the truck.

Steve

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wicked (from Yakima) said the bed racks do not telescope, but there may be something in the works that would get you an overlanding type bed frame that could theoretically match bed bar height to roof bar height (giving you essentially 4 or more racks the span across the full length of the vehicle. This is also something that I would like to see (as mentioned on other threads).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wicked (from Yakima) said the bed racks do not telescope, but there may be something in the works that would get you an overlanding type bed frame that could theoretically match bed bar height to roof bar height (giving you essentially 4 or more racks the span across the full length of the vehicle. This is also something that I would like to see (as mentioned on other threads).
Thank you. Very helpful

·
Registered
243 Posts
Still doesn't address all the other use cases for level bar heights over the cab and over the bed (beyond the ladder). This is a good example... Rooftop hard-shell camper that need to be mounted high enough to clear the cab height: V2 Model Rollout

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use 16' ladders for a seasonal job so I need the bed racks to telescope to the height of the roof racks
I have a telescoping ladder that goes from 3' to 13' from Easy Access Inovations. They may have longer ones, I just didn't have that need when I purchased it eight years ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts