Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

How will the value of Rivians hold over time?

9K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  R99 
#1 ·
I know I'm getting a bit ahead of myself since the R1S and the R1T aren't for sale yet, but I saw this report from iSeeCars.com and it got me thinking about how Rivian's value will hold compared to the competition.

According to their research, on average new electric vehicles loses 56.6 percent of its original value in three years. While the average for all vehicles 38.2 percent in that same span.

Some of the EVs with the most depreciation in three years include the Fiat 500e (69.7%), BMW i3 (63.3%), Nissan Leaf (59.6%), Volkswagen e-Golf (58.1%), and the Ford Fusion Energi (57.7%).

The only exception seems to be Tesla, where the Model S only depreciates 17.1 percent after three years.

My guess is that the Rivians will buck the trend and hold their value like Tesla, but with the EV landscape always changing, who knows maybe you'll get a great deal on Rivians down the road. For anyone interested in buying a R1T and R1S, is this going to be a big factor for you?

Discussion starter · #6 ·
I do expect to replace the batteries at some point, hopefully with next gen, whatever that might be. At this point I don't know if I will last twenty years, so the point may be moot. :cool:
That's fair, 20 years is a long way away for all of us haha. I imagine that you're planning on getting the 180 kWh battery then?

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Depreciation has crossed my mind. I also tend to hold cars longer than 3 years - but not as long as 20. I look at what my current vehicles are worth now compared to what I paid for them - one new, the other used - and realize that no matter what, a car is NOT an investment. It's a tool to be used. However, I would like to be able to get a reasonable amount back when the day comes that I will sell my (future) Rivian. I would hope that with active OTA updates the Rivian would hold value similar to a Tesla. I would agree with another comment that part of Tesla's ability to hold value is in the scarcity and the lack of regular model updates. I also think that having less to wear out over time and OTA updates keeping older vehicles current with the best and newest features of the brand also help.

All that being said, I fully expect to see some volatility in resale values and depreciation over time.
OTAs will be huge for holding value for Rivian, and other new EVs. Especially if it can help with improving range at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.