Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I think we're all a bit disappointed to not have more solid information now 6 days from "June" about how the infotainment system will work. I had a thought, and I wondered if anyone else has thoughts.

Maybe we're hearing so little because, potentially, I wonder if Amazon is launching a Carplay/Andriod Auto competitor? Is this why its so hush-hush? Launching it on a flagship product like Rivian would be a coup and make the kind of splash I'm sure they'd like. They've been moving more this direction. Here is their auto product launched last year. It already does turn-by-turn directions. I know very little, but presumably Amazon delivery vans have mapping that directs drivers in the fastest route already.

And, relatedly, if so, I think that's a game-changer for me. Meaning, I do not want Alexa at all, much less a giant battery-powered Alexa following me throughout my day, every day, knowing what I listen to on my podcasts, music, where I go, what directions I put in, monitoring my battery usage, knowing where my "home" is and my "office" is, who I call, etc. So, if the entire system is "Alexa" powered, that may completely turn me off of Rivian.

Am I being a paranoid? They seem really reticent to give details.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Amazon got out of the smartphone game years ago... so I don't see how they'd launch a CP/AA competitor. The primary purpose of CP/AA is to use the smartphone for processing/connectivity and have the vehicle simply render a video stream (and pass back user input and/or voice stream to the phone for processing).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amazon got out of the smartphone game years ago... so I don't see how they'd launch a CP/AA competitor. The primary purpose of CP/AA is to use the smartphone for processing/connectivity and have the vehicle simply render a video stream (and pass back user input and/or voice stream to the phone for processing).
I think you take me a bit too literally. I mean that the infotainment will be "Amazon" powered. I agree it will not be some sort of screen mirroring/passthrough for an Amazon phone. And, I think that's a real possibility here.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I think you take me a bit too literally. I mean that the infotainment will be "Amazon" powered. I agree it will not be some sort of screen mirroring/passthrough for an Amazon phone. And, I think that's a real possibility here.
I suppose anything is possible.... But I think it is extremely unlikely. Rivian has had a team building their infotainment system for several years. It may access some amazon cloud services but I think it's extremely unlikely they'd ditch their custom infotainment for something Amazon developed.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you are really worried about data collection from a company like Amazon then you should be calling your congressperson and telling them to enact some reasonable privacy laws in the US.

I would also suggest reviewing any data sharing agreements made available (once they are, I know we're all frothing at the orifii for any and all information) to see what Rivian is sharing, if anything, with Amazon.

All of that being said, if you're truly interested in your privacy or security, I'd recommend doing a deep dive in your personal activities. Most of us give away vast quantities of data every day without having any idea we're doing so. Start with what browser you use on every device you interact with and go from there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think we understand, but if you have an apple or android phone, google and siri are already listening and collecting that information. Tesla is also collecting that information with their voice controls. The information collected by Telsa and the others are generally being used to improve the interfaces, but in the case of Google and Apple they are also tailoring ads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are really worried about data collection from a company like Amazon then you should be calling your congressperson and telling them to enact some reasonable privacy laws in the US.

I would also suggest reviewing any data sharing agreements made available (once they are, I know we're all frothing at the orifii for any and all information) to see what Rivian is sharing, if anything, with Amazon.

All of that being said, if you're truly interested in your privacy or security, I'd recommend doing a deep dive in your personal activities. Most of us give away vast quantities of data every day without having any idea we're doing so. Start with what browser you use on every device you interact with and go from there.
I already do. No social media for nearly a year. Almost no apps with location privacy. Avoiding Android altogether, no Alexa devices in my home or on my person. I do the best I can, while still trying to live in this world... And, I recognize I'm looking essentially a giant computer with wheels and a huge battery. I'm just saying, I'd like actual control over what is shared. And, my legitimate fear is that it will be heavily Alexa-empowered. Sure, it'll work with Alexa "off," but it won't really. If that's the case, that's a huge bummer.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you want actual control then I refer to my previous first sentence - don't tell us, tell your congressperson.

The US Government is the only entity with the power to give you that power, unfortunately.

EDIT: For anyone else reading - substitute your country for US. There are pretty much no worldwide governments doing privacy right. Some are doing it better than others (mostly in the EU) but I wouldn't describe any existing laws anywhere as providing full control over your data and privacy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Honestly we are ALL more concerned when Rivian will go 110% on the reactor and start having the Rivian Guides contacting order holders and seeing live vehicles in the possession of real customers. Any EV that is currently out, and slated to come out will have a lot of the abilities that you are concerned with. It's the world we live in now. So the question truly is, do you want a EV or something that is a standalone vehicle??

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
Honestly we are ALL more concerned when Rivian will go 110% on the reactor and start having the Rivian Guides contacting order holders and seeing live vehicles in the possession of real customers. Any EV that is currently out, and slated to come out will have a lot of the abilities that you are concerned with. It's the world we live in now. So the question truly is, do you want a EV or something that is a standalone vehicle??
To me, whether it’s an EV or not isn’t the primary issue. It’s whether you want a connected car experience that can learn from yours and others driving, support various levels of autonomous driving, provide you real time information on traffic, suggest alternative routes, recommend entertainment, etc, etc. nothing about any of that is exclusive or specific to EVs. It just so happens that EVs tend to be more high tech, and therefore have more “connect car” features. But there’s no reason that a company couldn’t make an EV with zero connectivity. Or am I E that’s even more connected than an EV.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I already do. No social media for nearly a year. Almost no apps with location privacy. Avoiding Android altogether, no Alexa devices in my home or on my person. I do the best I can, while still trying to live in this world... And, I recognize I'm looking essentially a giant computer with wheels and a huge battery. I'm just saying, I'd like actual control over what is shared. And, my legitimate fear is that it will be heavily Alexa-empowered. Sure, it'll work with Alexa "off," but it won't really. If that's the case, that's a huge bummer.
Any new car will be a problem for you
I don't like it but I love the benefits
Drive a new Subaru AMAZING
My suggestion go but a classic auto and a flip phone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.