Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally had the 21” wheels because I will be mostly driving locally, not off-road and I wanted maximum range. Then I thought, hmm… there are so many off-road possibilities within 50 miles of metro Phoenix so losing the 10-15% range really won’t be an issue. I have no desire to drive thousands of miles on a road trip even if I wasn’t getting the R1T, so I switched to the 20“ wheels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Forget 20’s. Anyone figure out if it will fit 17” or at least 18”? Of if not for those with 20” how much space is there between the caliper and inside of the rim?
One of the 10,000 youtube videos I have watched 😂, they said you can not go any lower than a 20" wheel due to the bigger brakes. Not sure if this is 100% true, but the 20s did make it look like there wasn't much room to go smaller.

·
Registered
401 Posts
One of the 10,000 youtube videos I have watched 😂, they said you can not go any lower than a 20" wheel due to the bigger brakes. Not sure if this is 100% true, but the 20s did make it look like there wasn't much room to go smaller.
I’ve seen that as well. I’m looking for a real person to measure. Tesla said over and over that the 3P wouldn’t fit under a 20” and all the top SCCA track cars are running 18” on the P. For the rivian for me It will be a bummer if at least an 18” wont fit. For me that will probably be a canceled reservation.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I sure hope the Rivian isn't too urbanized.
Which model did you order?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've flipped my reservation back and forth between those two options so many times it's ridiculous. I still don't know what my final choice will be. Maybe I'll buy a set of each and swap in the 20s when it's adventure time. :LOL:
Which set of wheels do you currently have in your reservations? 😆What spec is your Rivian?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Which set of wheels do you currently have in your reservations? 😆What spec is your Rivian?
At the moment of this posting, I've got the 20s in my configuration :). Adventure package, max pack, offroad upgrade. (I'd be getting that either way; I can always swap out the wheels later but I can't magically add armor and tow hooks.)

·
Registered
130 Posts
10-15% seems like a pretty big reduction in mileage. The overall diameter of the tire + wheel is the same whether one chooses 20" or 21" wheels, correct?
Off-roaders like smaller wheels and larger tires because the sidewall is larger, they can "air-down" the tire for better grip off-road and potential damage to the wheel when off-roading is less likely.

If you put the same type of tire on a 20" vs 21" wheel, would there be a difference in mileage? Maybe the 20" would be better because they weigh less and have less unsprung weight.

Has anyone scientifically tested this?

·
Registered
935 Posts
To clarify, are you asking what would happen if you put different tread pattern (non-A/T) on the 20"s? If you found a tire with the same measurements but less aggressive tread / different compound and put it on the 20 you would absolutely get less range reduction, but the exact amount would be TBD.

Doesn't really matter at all to me, because if I am going on a long road trip (most commonly no more than 300 miles on the weekend), I am going to have to charge anyway, so its really moot to me.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I big, burly, wide, mud chucking A/T tire would not be optimal, but the Pirelli A/T's for these 20's has a 3 Peak Mountain Snow Service rating. From Pirelli: "The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is designed with a focus on optimizing durability, traction and wear resistance, in addition to providing snow traction: it gained indeed the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol."

·
Registered
130 Posts
I still have difficulty believing a 10-15% range hit on 20" wheels vs 21" if the overall diameter of the tire and wheel is the same.
If I put an all terrain tire (like the Pirelli Scorpion) on 21" wheels, would my range suffer 10-15%?

·
Registered
516 Posts
I still have difficulty believing a 10-15% range hit on 20" wheels vs 21" if the overall diameter of the tire and wheel is the same.
If I put an all terrain tire (like the Pirelli Scorpion) on 21" wheels, would my range suffer 10-15%?
Yeah I'm with you on this one. I think 10% range loss is pessimistic. Does anyone know the weight of the 21 vs 20 wheels? If equal weights, the difference in diameter is actually a (small) contribution in favor of the 20" wheel because of rotational inertia.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts