Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After more than a week, I just got the call!, my truck at the service center was ready!
My truck is in the service center, It had a plethora of things that needed to be fixed... My truck seemed like it was put together at 4:00 pm on a Friday... Hood was badly misaligned, charge port door was almost touching in the lower left corner, dust was painted over on rear passenger side door, and then sanded through to where spots of primer were showing through and was still rough to the touch, rear DS door was very hard to close and misaligned, Tailgate was misaligned, there were a couple other paint issues also... And after a week in my smelly rental, I finally get the call that my truck is ready, except... The big powder coat chip on my rear caliper was probably caused by me and I will be charged for the service... WHAT?
The chip was discovered when I was washing the truck a week after I got it, I believe it was caused by the installation of the rear tire or hit by a tool while the tire was off.
they offered to put touch up paint on the caliper but if anyone knows about powder coat, It is thick and the chances of them matching color perfectly is slim and it would still look like a painted over chip. I told them the only probable way that chip could have occured is if the wheel was removed, and, if they look into the spare compartment they will see that none of the tire changing equipment has been removed or used.

As I was typing this, I got another call from Rivian service saying they will replace the caliper and is having one shipped... I am relieved that they stepped up and are going to replace the caliper... It may sound petty to some, but to me, the bright yellow calipers are one of the key features on the R1T that make it stand out.
I don't fault Rivian for the condition my truck arrived in, and I don't want to sound like a Kile (male Karen), it is part of the growing pains of a new company... their assemblers don't have years of experience on the line to catch all the finite details and head trouble off before they happen.

I personally would train future assemblers in the service centers so they would be proficient in body panel alignment and know what to look for during assembly... I know I am speaking as an armchair quarterback with no experience in manufacturing or assembly... It's just a thought.
Again, Rivian stepped up and that is what I expected of Rivian and it is still the best truck I've ever owned, I hope Rivian does well!

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

· Registered
14 Posts
Given the “plethora of things that needed to be fixed” on your brand new truck, I’m surprised that you “don’t fault Rivian for the condition my truck arrived in.” Say what? I’d assume there is a quality control inspection done on each car prior to being shipped out to a new owner. Hopefully your experience is an anomaly; as a big Rivian fan and investor, I sure hope so. Enjoy your R1T. I look forward to getting mine!

· Registered
109 Posts
Given the “plethora of things that needed to be fixed” on your brand new truck, I’m surprised that you “don’t fault Rivian for the condition my truck arrived in.” Say what? I’d assume there is a quality control inspection done on each car prior to being shipped out to a new owner. Hopefully your experience is an anomaly; as a big Rivian fan and investor, I sure hope so. Enjoy your R1T. I look forward to getting mine!
I have to admit that with that many body issues I would have refused to take delivery until everything had been fixed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts