Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having my truck for over a month, It finally made it to the Orlando service center for a laundry list of things that needed correcting like alignment issues on the hood, doors and tailgate, paint defects and the door seal... and a big chip in my rear caliper.

I finally just got the call today, all my service issues were corrected... except for one, the chip in my caliper which they said I had probably caused and would be charged for... What?
I discovered the chip while I was washing my wheels.
They offered to paint over the chip, but if any of you know about powder coat, it is thick! and "IF" the spot paint matched, it would still look like a painted chip.

Then I defended myself by saying it probably happened during assembly, either hit by the wheel while putting it on, or by being hit by a tool while the wheel was off, Powder coat is some pretty tough stuff, it would take a pretty hard strike to cause that, and that they should look in my spare tire compartment, and they will see that none of the jacking equipment has been used to change the tire that may have caused the damage.
Normally if it was any of my other trucks, I would say fine, just paint it, but one of the key features of the Rivian are its bright yellow accents, the calipers being the most prominent.

After stating my case, Rivian called back to tell me they would replace the caliper at no charge, I expected no less of Rivian and they shined through on customer service.
... I was just rattled a little bit.

I don't fault Rivian for the issues I've had with my new truck, they are a new company with growing pains. their assemblers don't have years of experience under their belts to head off these problems and they are under the gun of keeping up with production number quotas... some of the truck will seem like they were assembled on Friday at 4:00 pm.

I would personally put new hires in a service center correcting the alignment issues so when they get to the assembly line, they will know what to look for and assemble the vehicles correctly the first time... But I know nothing of manufacturing or assembly lines... It's just a thought.
It's easy to be a Kile (male Karen) and an armchair quarterback and complain of what should have or could have been done to make Rivian a better company, they will get there!
I'm just glad I bought this truck, It's the best truck out of the last 6 I've owned, hands down!

The picture of the chip.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

· Registered
505 Posts
Just my 2 cents here. I think people have an realistic expectation for fit and finish or miner defects. I gauge my expectation by how I would spend my money. If I caused a cosmetic nick like that on the caliber I would not be replacing it and therefore would not expect Rivian to replace it. Seems it was not obvious enough to note it at delivery so clearly not a glaring defect.

That is probably just me though….

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just my 2 cents here. I think people have an realistic expectation for fit and finish or miner defects. I gauge my expectation by how I would spend my money. If I caused a cosmetic nick like that on the caliber I would not be replacing it and therefore would not expect Rivian to replace it. Seems it was not obvious enough to note it at delivery so clearly not a glaring defect.

That is probably just me though….
If I would have caused it, I would probably suck it up and deal with it, but when my previous truck at half the cost had none of these defects, I do expect more.

· Registered
6 Posts
After having my truck for over a month, It finally made it to the Orlando service center for a laundry list of things that needed correcting like alignment issues on the hood, doors and tailgate, paint defects and the door seal... and a big chip in my rear caliper.

I finally just got the call today, all my service issues were corrected... except for one, the chip in my caliper which they said I had probably caused and would be charged for... What?
I discovered the chip while I was washing my wheels.
They offered to paint over the chip, but if any of you know about powder coat, it is thick! and "IF" the spot paint matched, it would still look like a painted chip.

Then I defended myself by saying it probably happened during assembly, either hit by the wheel while putting it on, or by being hit by a tool while the wheel was off, Powder coat is some pretty tough stuff, it would take a pretty hard strike to cause that, and that they should look in my spare tire compartment, and they will see that none of the jacking equipment has been used to change the tire that may have caused the damage.
Normally if it was any of my other trucks, I would say fine, just paint it, but one of the key features of the Rivian are its bright yellow accents, the calipers being the most prominent.

After stating my case, Rivian called back to tell me they would replace the caliper at no charge, I expected no less of Rivian and they shined through on customer service.
... I was just rattled a little bit.

I don't fault Rivian for the issues I've had with my new truck, they are a new company with growing pains. their assemblers don't have years of experience under their belts to head off these problems and they are under the gun of keeping up with production number quotas... some of the truck will seem like they were assembled on Friday at 4:00 pm.

I would personally put new hires in a service center correcting the alignment issues so when they get to the assembly line, they will know what to look for and assemble the vehicles correctly the first time... But I know nothing of manufacturing or assembly lines... It's just a thought.
It's easy to be a Kile (male Karen) and an armchair quarterback and complain of what should have or could have been done to make Rivian a better company, they will get there!
I'm just glad I bought this truck, It's the best truck out of the last 6 I've owned, hands down!

The picture of the chip.

View attachment 8519

· Registered
50 Posts
If I would have caused it, I would probably suck it up and deal with it, but when my previous truck at half the cost had none of these defects, I do expect more.
If you travel I-4 like I do daily, it's probably from the road. I've already got a coupe chips on mine. But, Orlando Service Center is pretty solid. Sucks that it's in the middle of nowhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts