Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an electrician buying his first EV. I was all ready to buy a Tesla in 2019, then I got a gas card from my company, which make me change my plan. For a while I was looking for a performance car because premium gas would be "on the house". Then Rivian announced their launch edition and since I've wanted a truck, I signed up for a R1T.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
467 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
What are you driving now?

Also, did you add your info to the tracking doc here:
If not, please do, it's great to see the data that comes out of this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum!
What are you driving now?
I’m driving a 2009 Civic with 300K miles on it.

Also, did you add your info to the tracking doc here:
That was the first thing I did when I joined.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Welcome to the forum @PDXsparky!
Are you only interested in the Rivian R1T or are also considering comparable EVs coming out?
(ex. electric F-150, Hummer EV)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum @PDXsparky!
Are you only interested in the Rivian R1T or are also considering comparable EVs coming out?
(ex. electric F-150, Hummer EV)
I would consider an EV-150 depending on how it specs out. Hummer is too expensive, and the cyber truck doesn't suit my tastes at all. I really want a truck. If I don't get a R1T, I'll be getting a 3/4 diesel pickup and an EV sedan.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I would consider an EV-150 depending on how it specs out. Hummer is too expensive, and the cyber truck doesn't suit my tastes at all. I really want a truck. If I don't get a R1T, I'll be getting a 3/4 diesel pickup and an EV sedan.
I hear you on that. For me its easily the R1T and the F-150 EV to fall back on if anything.
What sort of specs are you hoping the Ford will have?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear you on that. For me its easily the R1T and the F-150 EV to fall back on if anything.
What sort of specs are you hoping the Ford will have?
It needs to be at least equal in range and towing as the R1T.

I would prefer a extended cab option so the bed length could be longer . I’d happily accept a slower 0 to 60 time if it meant a longer range. I’d like to tow a small 5th wheel.

·
Registered
861 Posts

I would prefer a extended cab option so the bed length could be longer . I’d happily accept a slower 0 to 60 time if it meant a longer range. I’d like to tow a small 5th wheel.
You’ve mentioned in a few threads that you’re considering a 2500-class diesel, you prefer extended cab, want a longer bed, and want to tow a 5th wheel. Are you sure the R1T will meet your needs?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm an electrician buying his first EV. I was all ready to buy a Tesla in 2019, then I got a gas card from my company, which make me change my plan. For a while I was looking for a performance car because premium gas would be "on the house". Then Rivian announced their launch edition and since I've wanted a truck, I signed up for a R1T.
Welcome to the forum @PDXsparky! Do you plan on using the R1T as a work truck?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You’ve mentioned in a few threads that you’re considering a 2500-class diesel, you prefer extended cab, want a longer bed, and want to tow a 5th wheel. Are you sure the R1T will meet your needs?
There is a lot to like about the R1T. It comes the closest to the truck I want while still being an EV, which is the most important factor for me. I don't like the look of the cyber truck at all. I don't know enough about the upcoming F-150 EV to know if it would be a better choice.

I'm looking to retire within the next 2 years, so I'm thinking about the future use of the truck. I'd like to pull a travel trailer to do some traveling around the US with my wife. I plan to start with a smaller, light weight trailer and see how it goes. If that doesn't suit us, we will develop a plan B.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is a lot to like about the R1T. It comes the closest to the truck I want while still being an EV, which is the most important factor for me. I don't like the look of the cyber truck at all. I don't know enough about the upcoming F-150 EV to know if it would be a better choice.

I'm looking to retire within the next 2 years, so I'm thinking about the future use of the truck. I'd like to pull a travel trailer to do some traveling around the US with my wife. I plan to start with a smaller, light weight trailer and see how it goes. If that doesn't suit us, we will develop a plan B.
I am retired and a good plan B would be: get a motor home and tow your R1T. I have a motor home, my daughter has a 5th wheel. The decision should be based on your use. If you plan to go to a destination and park for a while the trailer may be the best choice, however if you travel to various destinations and only stay for a short while at each the motor home is the better choice. Why? It takes about two hours to setup a trailer and about ten minutes to set up your motor home (similar takedown times). Either way have fun and enjoy the wonderful outdoors our country offers.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

As a benchmark, Ford implied that the F-150 EV will pack more power and torque than the current Raptor.
So at least we have that covered.
Pro Power OnBoard will be another reason to go for to those such a setup really matters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts