Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building Automotive design Floor Industry Line

Teslarati had this interesting piece yesterday explaining that Rivian is apparently the only pure electric vehicle manufacturer to use outsourced electric motors.

The key here is that we're talking about "pure" electric vehicle manufactures - so Ford, GM, Nissan, etc. are excluded and the article points out that GM is using Bosch motors, so it's not like there aren't great electric motor suppliers out there, but this was news to me. Lucid and Tesla have both gotten a lot of headlines out of the efficiency of their motor tech, but I realize now that I've never even thought about Rivian's motors.

Apparently, the company is working on their own motors, so this may soon be a moot point, but I'm wondering what people think about this. I'm sure some of you knew this a long time ago, but it strikes me as a sort of unsettled point in the EV world -- do we care about who makes the motor? ICE car folks sure care about who makes their engine!

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
314 Posts
Personally I don't care. Let's look at specific reviews of the car and performance. If it is bad, I find it's irrelevant if the reason is because they didn't design their own motor or something else. If it's good, great!

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
314 Posts
By the way, Rivian from the beginning stated that they want to partner with the legacy industry to produce components and maybe even a car. It's was never their goal to be an outsider like Tesla. That's one reason it's initially headquartered in Michigan, though it's moved to CA in 2020.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As long as they last and Rivian backs them up I honestly don’t care.
Rivian wouldn’t sell them if they didn’t think they would be quality. Also gives them (Rivian) a chance to evaluate the motors before or as they develop their own motor in house.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One other thing hit me. Do all these other "pure" companies really manufacture their own product? What about tires, wheels, carpet, material for seats, wire for the electrical portion, do they have their own refineries the make produce the metal or make their own carbon fiber weave? What do you really consider "pure"? No one makes all their own components and parts even the mighty Tesla. Heck the Write Brothers even outsourced the engine for the first airplane.

·
Registered
Reservation: R1S, Explorer, Glacier White.
5 Posts
so they are 1 of what, 3 companies, that don’t make there own drive units? This is journalism just for the sake of journalism.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sandy Munro did some interesting videos on the Mach-E, and while he hated the rear motor, he was blown away by the front motor, which is made by LG-Magna. I might be wrong, but I think he favors the design over Tesla's and VW's. You can view a couple of the videos here:

I take that as confirmation that outsourcing the motor can be the right way to go. Of course, the whole debate over vertical integration can get complex, since there are tons of trade-offs in each direction.

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
142 Posts
No concern. Kyle from Out of Spec Motoring keeps gushing about how nice they are compared to the many other EVs he has driven.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
222 Posts
Outsourcing doesn't mean it was designed by Rivian just not produced. Plenty of companies outsource all sorts of things to others for production.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I believe that the motors are made by Bosch. Right now Rivian has a lot to figure out and I think that they have bitten off more than they can chew already. Bosch has the R&D to make a great drive system and can justify the costs over a potentially larger market than Rivian at this point. I think we all just want our vehicles and can become idealistic in time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts