Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Instantly loved it

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  guerrillasolarguy 
#1 ·
I’ve heard about Rivian for a long time, but only looked into their vehicles last week and I immediately fell in love. I’ve got a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I want to replace soon, and the R1S is the first thing I’ve seen that has the right specs and really appeals to me.

I need something that is both a daily driver and a road trip vehicle as we take several (~1000 mile each way) road trips every year. Plus, we have a ranch in the Texas Hill Country that requires some serious off-road capabilities, and good cargo/dog hauling specs.

I’m not ready to order a Rivian yet as I’ve learned from past experiences (Fisker Karma) to avoid first generation anything. Plus, we drive from Austin to Denver a lot and there’s virtually no EV charging infrastructure along that route yet.

So, I’m lurking here for now, and will hopefully order a Rivian in a few years when they have the kinks worked out and there is better charging infrastructure in the places I travel. Also, no Apple CarPlay is currently a dealbreaker for me as we use Waze on our trips.

-Brian

#2 ·
Welcome aboard Brian.... a lot to like about the R1S. Hopefully Rivian will um "borrow" another Tesla policy.. continual vehicle improvement vs. the age old policy of only making improvements during mid cycle (3+ yrs after introduction).

Are you looking in to Rivian stock?

#3 ·
Thanks. No, Rivian stock is waaaaay overpriced. I'm old-school on stock valuation as I've been in the market for decades and I remember back in the '90 nobody would touch a stock with a PE over 17. Now people will buy shares of companies with PE's of 200 or more and don't stop for a second to consider now ridiculous that is. I'll invest in the car someday, but the stock, not a chance.

#4 ·
Welcome Brian.

We're a single-car household so like you, need our vehicle to be a daily driver as well as one for long-distance trips of 1,800 or so miles (one-way.) Our long distance trips are in the winter, and to places with temps that are often well below zero F. During the warmer months, that same vehicle needs to pull our T@B camper, also over somewhat shorter, but still fairly long distances. We're hoping that the R1S Max Pack with its [hopefully] 400+ miles of range will be that vehicle.

Giving Rivian, or really any new manufacturer, some time to work the kinks out is a good idea. That said, even if you decided that you wanted the R1S Max, you couldn't order one. Rivian has stated that the R1S with the Max Pack should be available to order early in 2022. While Rivian has not given a delivery time for that configuration, I do not believe it will roll off of their production lines in appreciable numbers until at least 2024.

Assuming you also are interested in the R1S Max, you really can't do too much more than lurk for the next few years anyway, though in case you were not aware, the Rivian deposit is fully refundable . . .

#5 ·
Good that you see what we have been seing for about three years. May we suggest that you make your pre-order soon so that your turn to get a Rivian comes up in 3-4 years, like late 2024. If everyone likes the R1S like we do, even when they get up to producing 600,000 per year there may be a few months wait for an order. And so there will be a back log on deliveries for quite some time.

#7 ·
Yes, I've looked at the various EV charging maps and the problem is that there aren't any interstates that get you from Austin to Denver. It's mostly just state highways and rural roads with virtually no EV chargers. Even if you were to plan a route with the few existing stations you're taking your chances because if that station is full or out of order you're stuck there waiting for a tow truck. It's too bad the charger companies are so focused on interstates because most of America is not interstate.

#8 ·
I was in line for a Rivian and then the CT came along and I dropped my reservation. I now own Rivian stock and wish I would have stayed in line. The reviews have been really good...and I think Elon should have made the cybertruck more of a priority. I'm waiting for now but I would like to get R1T before they reach the 200K sold tax break elimination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.