Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I should have clarified that part is specific to the TM3 launch. When they launched shortly after I was given the opportunity to take delivery of a TM3P even though I didn’t have a reservation due to an order cancellation. It would have been my 4th Tesla that year and they explained they wanted to give me first shot because of that.

As for their service, a lot of it depends on when you bought. Tesla today is not what Tesla used to be in terms of customer service.

Tesla of before had loyalty programs. I’ve gotten multiple sets of free wheels, several radio flyer vehicles for my kids, free powerwalls, free supercharging, etc.

They used to come to my house or work and do a loaner swap if I needed any work. They’ve even done work in my driveway at 9pm to get me back on the road. I had a dedicated service advisor if I ever needed anything.

Whne your vehicle was being built, you used to be able to track it down the line. You got a phone call when it was built. When it shipped. When it arrived and was being prepped.

Current Tesla? Well I’ve been selling all of mine for a reason. I finally had enough of them around 2018.
Interesting. You have a point. I started in early 2016 with a Model S, and yes, the rangers where quick and helpful. And the service center was 10+ miles away. Now the service center is closer, but the service is worse ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry it is not naivete or some type of delusional thinking at the heart of my concerns. I have been patiently waiting for Rivian since 2018.

The issue has nothing to due with delays in production per se, but has everything to do with poor communication as many others have pointed out. I'm realistic and would appreciate it if Rivian provided a more realistic snapshot of their situation to reign in expectations. Expectations get mis-aligned when my Guide contacts me in mid-April, I sign a contract, I get repeated confirming emails that my delivery window is April-May 2022, my Guide confirms no slippage in that delivery window and THEN get a cryptic email from Caravano indicating a likely shift in delivery schedule. IMO, Caravano should never have sent that email. Rather, Rivian should wait until they have a plan and are ready to execute on that plan. When they have that plan in place and ready for execution, they should communicate in a clear and transparent manner. Caravano's email just leads to debates like this one (and others) on various forums because the email content is clear as mud.
Agreed, that is frustrating. I get your point. My experience was much better. I ordered my Truck (I made sure to order what they said they could produce) much later, and took delivery in May.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So .... you all watch Tesla delay their cars for years and years and talk about their 'production hell' and so forth, over and over, and saw Volkswagen and everybody else fall behind on EV production, add a pandemic and a global supply chain shortage - but you did expect Rivian (a brand new company and production startup) to deliver everything on time? That must take a special kind of naivety .... just saying. Be realistic, take a spec you can get, or wait. Or cancel, and buy something else better (oh wait, there is nothing)....
I reserved my Model 3 on April 2 2016 and picked one up on April 22 2018. 2 years almost to the day. With only one actual, clearly communicated delay. I've gone through all the correspondance with Tesla in that timeframe, and it was clear and simple. None of this fawning nonsense from Tony or a CEC. Rivian has abdandoned chronological reasons, geographical reasons and now configuration reasons for their delays. It's a random free for all with the order process and people are rightly pissed off.

There is no comparison with Rivian in that regard and if there is a single reason for that, it comes down to the CEO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I reserved my Model 3 on April 2 2016 and picked one up on April 22 2018. 2 years almost to the day. With only one actual, clearly communicated delay. I've gone through all the correspondence with Tesla in that timeframe, and it was clear and simple. None of this fawning nonsense from Tony or a CEC. Rivian has abandoned chronological reasons, geographical reasons and now configuration reasons for their delays. It's a random free for all with the order process and people are rightly pissed off.

There is no comparison with Rivian in that regard and if there is a single reason for that, it comes down to the CEO.
I reserved my Cybertruck 2 years ago, have not gotten a single response from Tesla. My model S Plaid delivery time window was moved 6 times last year, online, with no explanation ever, until I got tired of waiting and tracked a unit down on a dealer lot with different specs and bought that one on the spot. My Rivian got delivered early on the other hand .... So, I think that can go both ways.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I reserved my Cybertruck 2 years ago, have not gotten a single response from Tesla. My model S Plaid delivery time window was moved 6 times last year, online, with no explanation ever, until I got tired of waiting and tracked a unit down on a dealer lot with different specs and bought that one on the spot. My Rivian got delivered early on the other hand .... So, I think that can go both ways.
That’s Tesla of today for you. They’ve built up enough to give you the bird because..what else are you going to buy? If they don’t change, I do believe it will eventually catch up with them. For now, they can sit back and rest on their supercharging “moat” to protect the business.

Rivian on the other hand has no moat. They really shouldn’t be trying to pull the same antics.

·
Registered
393 Posts
There’s been several folks who have and have been invited to the shop.

Keep in mind, everyone will get an email. But you won’t get an email until it’s your turn.

So sit tight….
For the invite to the R1Shop that is true but everyone that had a 2022 delivery window is supposed to get updated windows this week based on Tony’s email.

·
Registered
130 Posts
For the invite to the R1Shop that is true but everyone that had a 2022 delivery window is supposed to get updated windows this week based on Tony’s email.
The email was vague so I reached out to CS. I have a 2022 date and I specifically asked if I'll definitely get a notification as such. They confirmed to me that the windows will be refreshed this week. But the communication for those dates will be on a rolling basis starting with those with the closest deliveries and the communication will not go out to everyone all at once.

That said..we know how reliable CS is...

·
Registered
16 Posts
The email was vague so I reached out to CS. I have a 2022 date and I specifically asked if I'll definitely get a notification as such. They confirmed to me that the windows will be refreshed this week. But the communication for those dates will be on a rolling basis starting with those with the closest deliveries and the communication will not go out to everyone all at once.

That said..we know how reliable CS is...
So dr
Yeah, Tony’s email on Monday said that those with a 2022 delivery window and those who had a 2022 delivery window but are being pushed back and will no longer have a 2022 window would be given refreshed delivery estimates this week. It’s now Friday evening and we’ve heard nothing. How is it possible that Rivian is STILL woefully lacking and under delivering on its own communications!?!? That is something that is completely controllable on their end and yet here we are again, left to wonder and speculate with no actual reliable information.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here is the email I just received from Caravano - another wholly uninformative communication. Essentially Rivian kicked the can down the road for another 2 weeks.

As we continue to ramp R1 production, we'd like to update our R1S preorder holders on the progress we're making at our plant in Normal.

We are scaling both the R1T and R1S as fast as possible without compromising quality. We know how important it is for all of you to have better clarity on your R1S delivery timing and that many of you are making plans around your delivery windows. With this, we are working through supply chain challenges and the ripple impacts on our production ramp up that may affect some of the delivery windows we previously communicated. Much like we did with the R1T, we are focusing much of the early R1S production on employee deliveries to ensure the best possible ownership experience for everyone from day one.

Over the next two weeks, we'll share delivery windows with R1S customers who have updated delivery timing in 2022, or who previously had windows in 2022 that will be shifting later. For all other preorder holders, expect updates on your delivery timing through the end of summer. As we have communicated before, delivery timing is dependent on many factors including delivery address, configuration and preorder date – we are working to provide as much clarity as possible understanding some of the challenges with supply chain predictability.

We’re grateful for your continued support. Let us know if you have questions.

Tony Caravano
Head of Rivian Customer Engagement

·
Registered
10 Posts
And then the hammer dropped. Delayed from April-May 2022 to October-December 2022 per email just received. And again this after the Guide repeatedly confirmed a May-June delivery and I signed the buyer's agreement in April.
___

Thank you for your preorder and your commitment to helping us create a more sustainable world. As we continue to assess our supply chain and build plans, we want to provide an update on your estimated delivery window.

Your Launch Edition R1S estimated delivery window is October - December 2022

Your delivery window estimate is based on your preorder date, delivery location and current configuration. Here’s why your window has shifted:
  1. Supply chain
    As we’ve continued to navigate a tight supply chain, we’ve had to reduce complexity wherever possible, including prioritizing certain build combinations over others.
  2. Service Infrastructure
    We continue to prioritize deliveries in locations where service infrastructure is in place so that we can provide the full ownership experience to Rivian owners from day one.
We’re grateful for your continued support and will continue to keep you updated. Your preorder is a vote for finding better ways of doing things on a planet that needs all of us to innovate for the future. If you have any questions, please reach out to us.

Thank you again for being on this journey with us.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ouch that's a tough bill to swallow. They would not do that unless they had some issues with R1S production or simply prioritized R1T.
I have a hunch, the latter: The R1T already has fierce competition from the legacy automakers; the R1S has zero competition right now and there's nothing comparable on the horizon, so they feel safe in just making us wait a little longer.

And then the hammer dropped. Delayed from April-May 2022 to October-December 2022 per email just received. And again this after the Guide repeatedly confirmed a May-June delivery and I signed the buyer's agreement in April.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a June-July delivery window and got pushed to Oct-Dec as well. But, someone in another forum had a July-September window and they were moved to August-September. Of course, I got the push email after cvs hrs

41 - 60 of 68 Posts