Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2022 R1T Adventure Package, Quad Motors
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my R1T today!! Happy day for sure. Everything went well with my introduction person, who reviewed all the features with me. The only thing we had trouble with was that we were not able to pair my iPod Touch with the truck. My iPhone was no trouble, recognized it immediately, but it would not find the iPod, and the iPod could not see the truck. The funny thing, to me, was that the camp speaker was recognized right away and my iPod could pair with that. Just not the truck. My Rivian rep said they had never tried to pair an iPad or iPod before and they were confused. I turned off the iPod and tried again, but it was the same thing. I tried disconnecting my iPhone, no difference. Anyone else in the community have experience with running multiple devices via bluetooth. Music streaming services are nice enough I suppose, but I have many thousands of my songs and albums on that iPod (which I got because my last vehicle no longer offered a CD player.) Ha. Maybe I'm getting too old to keep up, but I will miss not being able to play my own music, as I often like to do. Do any stream services offer to play full albums (am I dating myself using the term albums?)
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is an iPod Touch (6th generation), so one of the latest ones. It looks like a mini iPhone 8. Why would the camp speaker support it but not the truck. I would think they should work with the same things.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
It is an iPod Touch (6th generation), so one of the latest ones. It looks like a mini iPhone 8. Why would the camp speaker support it but not the truck. I would think they should work with the same things.
They're completely different devices. Likely made by different suppliers, even. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even use the same bluetooth chipset, let alone software stack.

The 6th-gen iPod Touch was released in 2015 -- SIX years ago; and it was discontinued in 2019. It can't even run the latest version of iOS. It seems to be at least 3 years out of date, as it maxes out at 12.5.5 despite the current production version being 15.5 (with 16 right around the corner).

Another thing to consider is that the R1T may only want to pair to a device that announces itself as a "phone" rather than merely an audio device. I've seen other vehicles that do the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. My guide told me the iPod would work fine. Bummer, I guess. Maybe I can get an unlocked iPhone with no cell service for strictly music storage. I'll have to investigate.

·
Registered
565 Posts
You might try resetting the infotainment system, if you haven't tried that already, but I agree with the Commodore that the most likely problem is outdated Bluetooth hardware/software on the touch. The infotainment system is likely to support only current BT versions of hardware/software and not have any support for legacy versions. Starting with a clean slate, they probably don't want to build in a lot of technical debt. It's a shame that Apple doesn't support their software for a longer period of time, because your touch is probably working just fine otherwise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts