Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the Adventure package and only real reason is I have no patience and thought this would get me a Rivian sooner. Well the Jokes on me because i'm still waiting since 1/2020 with no timeline yet from Rivian on when the R1S will be heading my way. Is there any value of the Adventure Package that makes it worth $5500 more than Explorer package? Both get the same motor, battery, wheels, air compressor, power liftgate etc. I honestly don't care about Chilewich WTF? floor mats, yellow tow hooks, fancy pants speaker system, or perforated over non perforated Vegan leather (aka plastic). Wood accents are nice I guess but not $5500 nice. Anyone else in the same boat or of differing opinion? I thought since the new climate bill passed maybe Rivian would change their tune and focus on more affordable versions of the R1T/R1S to keep it under 80k.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I currently have the Adventure package and only real reason is I have no patience and thought this would get me a Rivian sooner. Well the Jokes on me because i'm still waiting since 1/2020 with no timeline yet from Rivian on when the R1S will be heading my way. Is there any value of the Adventure Package that makes it worth $5500 more than Explorer package? Both get the same motor, battery, wheels, air compressor, power liftgate etc. I honestly don't care about Chilewich WTF? floor mats, yellow tow hooks, fancy pants speaker system, or perforated over non perforated Vegan leather (aka plastic). Wood accents are nice I guess but not $5500 nice. Anyone else in the same boat or of differing opinion? I thought since the new climate bill passed maybe Rivian would change their tune and focus on more affordable versions of the R1T/R1S to keep it under 80k.
Adventor pack you might hit Rivian lottery in 2022 or 2023 Explorer pack 2024 may be. Rest is just cosmetic stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In addition to keeping it under 80k they are also imposing the new income cutoff (150k for individual, 300k for couple). If you or anyone out there is above that cutoff and you have the opportunity to get an Adventure trim before the end of the year (perhaps through the R1T shop) then the tax credit basically pays for it as opposed to after Jan 1 when some folks won’t have access to the credit any longer due to income limits… at least that’s my read of the bill.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I started out with Explore but changed to Adventure to get the truck S00Ner. I figured, “it’s just a truck, I don’t need the gingerbread”. But now that I have the Adventure features, I think I would’ve missed them. So unless it’s a serious stretch price wise, I’d recommend it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My take with the adventure package so far after 2 months experience with the R1T. I can’t address any comparisons as I’ve never seen an explore package (not sure if anyone has):
  • Number 1 reason is that you can get delivery now-ish on an adventure trim
  • The cooled seats are surprisingly great and a feature that is worth it
  • Personally I would always pick the premium audio when given the option
  • I use the gear guard security system whenever I park away from my home. Does the explore have this feature? It seems too important not to have.
  • I haven’t used the gear guard security cables yet as I have the power bed cover which does the security job quite well. Note that the bed cover makes loud sounds when operating and has gotten stuck a few times before fully retracting, so it’s far from perfect
  • The wood trim is very well done. Chunky wood with depth and good surfacing. Not just a thin veneer. Much more premium feel overall of the cabin vs Tesla for example.
  • Haven’t used the portable speaker as it was dead on arrival and waiting a replacement. I wouldn’t say this would be a feature worth the package anyway but will come in handy sometimes
  • Tow hooks look nice, but haven’t used them yet.
  • The floor mats are fine and easy to clean. Not a reason to get the package. Note that I usually get the all weather mats on my daily drivers but am thinking these mats could do the job well and they look better. Time will tell

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the Adventure package and it looks really upscale and the speakers are really nice. Does it worth the cost? If you appreciate those things, then it does! I do have to mention that since the interior is fake leather, it is not breathable like real leather interior and it gets uncomfortably hot if you don't have ventilation on seating. Actually, for $5500, Rivian should have used real leather...

·
Registered
352 Posts
I will support the earlier comments that the ventilated seats are a NICE feature. Especially in hot California. Don't realize it until you get in and turn them on how nice it is to get your ass and legs cooled down. Such a refreshing feeling from the hot muggy outdoors you just came from. I was in the same boat deciding, figuring the Adventure package didn't really have anything I "needed" for the Truck, I really wanted the Tonneau cover, which was my primary reason for ponying up. But, knowing what I know now, the seats are almost equally valuable. I do see it having less value on the R1S, since the Tonneau cover isn't a factor. Now, with pricing change in March, it's no longer part of the truck package either.

So the question you have to ask, do you want a cool or hot ass? If you don't care about that, then probably not worth it.

·
Registered
2022 Rivian R1T
29 Posts
I will support the earlier comments that the ventilated seats are a NICE feature. Especially in hot California. ...
And this summer ... they have been a REAL NICE feature to have in CT! 🙃

pat----

·
Registered
6 Posts
The ventilated seats alone are worth the price difference.
Wood is a nice bonus.
The Elevation audio system is disappointing, so I imagine the base system in the Explore may be worse, and if that's true then you really don't want to deal with that.

To me, Adventure was an easy choice over Explore.
The Elevation audio system is far from disappointing but it is only as good as the source material. I‘ve experienced dozens of car audio systems and the one in my Rivian is the best I have heard. That alone may not be worth the extra $5K but with all the other upgrades it seems like a no brainer to me. Having said that, I haven’t heard the entry level sound system so it will be interesting to see the reviews once they come out. One thing for sure, if you don’t like the Elevation system (which again I don’t understand) you are not going to like the entry level system.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The Elevation audio system is far from disappointing but it is only as good as the source material. I‘ve experienced dozens of car audio systems and the one in my Rivian is the best I have heard. That alone may not be worth the extra $5K but with all the other upgrades it seems like a no brainer to me. Having said that, I haven’t heard the entry level sound system so it will be interesting to see the reviews once they come out. One thing for sure, if you don’t like the Elevation system (which again I don’t understand) you are not going to like the entry level system.
What source am I supposed to listen to? Tune-In is so compressed it's worse than SiriusXM. HD Radio sounds good for what it is, but all I use that for is NPR. Spotify is garbage even on Very High quality. The best-sounded sources I've tried are Amazon Music (via Alexa) and Apple Music (via lossy bluetooth) but even then the system is disappointing.

I have always placed a high value on a good audio system, and this is honestly one of the most frustrating parts of the R1T experience. Please, if you think I'm listing to the wrong source, tell me what I should be listening to and under what settings?? I desperately want to experience this so-called amazing Meridian Elevation system... But so far my opinion is that it's offensively bad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What source am I supposed to listen to? Tune-In is so compressed it's worse than SiriusXM. HD Radio sounds good for what it is, but all I use that for is NPR. Spotify is garbage even on Very High quality. The best-sounded sources I've tried are Amazon Music (via Alexa) and Apple Music (via lossy bluetooth) but even then the system is disappointing.

I have always placed a high value on a good audio system, and this is honestly one of the most frustrating parts of the R1T experience. Please, if you think I'm listing to the wrong source, tell me what I should be listening to and under what settings?? I desperately want to experience this so-called amazing Meridian Elevation system... But so far my opinion is that it's offensively bad.
Mine sounded pretty bad on delivery. The settings in the equalizer were all out of whack. I messed with that, which I'm assuming you have done, and it sounded much better. I agree, Tune-In could be a lot better. I don't use Spotify, so can't speak to that. HD Radio sounds the best so far, but sitting through commercials for the next mystery song you might like is not the experience you want for good audio sound. Going to enable Alexa and give Amazon Music a try.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Mine sounded pretty bad on delivery. The settings in the equalizer were all out of whack. I messed with that, which I'm assuming you have done, and it sounded much better. I agree, Tune-In could be a lot better. I don't use Spotify, so can't speak to that. HD Radio sounds the best so far, but sitting through commercials for the next mystery song you might like is not the experience you want for good audio sound. Going to enable Alexa and give Amazon Music a try.
Mine was delivered with the EQ all "flat". I tried adjusting the bands, but I found that moving them more than just a little made things much worse. Increasing bass, for example, simply made the truck rattle at all volume levels. The highs are already too bright at low volume with the EQ flat, but they're okay at higher volume. I think Meridian is doing some pretty heavy dynamic signal processing that varies based on volume level -- so it's basically impossible to adjust for normal use.

I could try turning off the spatial enhancements (on by default). I didn't play much with the EQ with those off because turning them off immediately destroyed the sound stage. Everything felt really low and narrow.

For how big of a deal Rivian/Meridian made about this audio system, it's a massive disappointment. I accept that some "tweaking" may be necessary to dial things in for personal tastes and music genres.... Out-of-the-box it should be a decent setup; but, it is not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What disappoints me the most about the Elevation, presently ... is that I cannot bring my own source. Like a Tesla, I ought to be able to bring a thumbdrive full of FLACs to it ... or, at a minimum even a 3.5mm AUX jack so that I can use some other portable high-def player (i.e., something that is not my phone) that allows me to play high quality source material from my library.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will support the earlier comments that the ventilated seats are a NICE feature. Especially in hot California. Don't realize it until you get in and turn them on how nice it is to get your ass and legs cooled down. Such a refreshing feeling from the hot muggy outdoors you just came from. I was in the same boat deciding, figuring the Adventure package didn't really have anything I "needed" for the Truck, I really wanted the Tonneau cover, which was my primary reason for ponying up. But, knowing what I know now, the seats are almost equally valuable. I do see it having less value on the R1S, since the Tonneau cover isn't a factor. Now, with pricing change in March, it's no longer part of the truck package either.

So the question you have to ask, do you want a cool or hot ass? If you don't care about that, then probably not worth it.
Glad to hear the ventilated seats work well. I have been in some cars that are great and others where you can barely tell they work. This was my primary reason for opting for the adventure package even if the upgraded sound is a nice bonus.

·
Registered
Currently 2019 Tesla M3 - Hopefully R1S Adventure
12 Posts
In addition to keeping it under 80k they are also imposing the new income cutoff (150k for individual, 300k for couple). If you or anyone out there is above that cutoff and you have the opportunity to get an Adventure trim before the end of the year (perhaps through the R1T shop) then the tax credit basically pays for it as opposed to after Jan 1 when some folks won’t have access to the credit any longer due to income limits… at least that’s my read of the bill.
Is the 80K cap before taxes and fees?
My reservation was originally for the R1S explore package but switched to the adventure in hopes of getting it sooner. Right now I'm at $80,500 with El Cap exterior (1,500) and the black AT 20" rims (3,500). Not sure what to do? Change the color to silver and then have it wrapped? But not sure how much it costs to wrap it. Who knows if the credit will be available by the time I get my R1S

1 - 18 of 18 Posts