Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious, has anyone with a Rivian pre-order considered cancelling it given all uncertainty surrounding the Coronavirus? Or are you planning to still going through with it?

This may sound like an overreaction since Rivian hasn't started production but this virus is affecting everyone in different ways, especially financially. I know my bank account is starting to tighten up because of this virus.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I haven't canceled, and not planning on it, but I am cautiously watching both the US and global markets. I have 20+ years until retirement, but like you, I'm starting to reevaluate my spending habits.
Wise.

But yes, no change.

I'm not retiring any time either. In the long haul, this will just be an economic blip. As bad as it is right now.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Rivian just gave official word on the delay that should see cancellations increase:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rivian just gave official word on the delay that should see cancellations increase:
It'll be interesting to see how many orders they'll have left once this coronavirus situation has been dealt with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm guessing that they won't see as many cancellations as you think. Anyone who has been thru this with Tesla knows that the launch of a vehicle is iffy at best until they actually come off the line.
Based on what happened with the Model 3, Y, Semi, Roadster, we went into this expecting that there would be delays (not knowing about Covid at the time). We love the vehicle and believe in the mission so we'll take ownership when they come out. Until then, saving a few more dollars for some other options. :)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm guessing that they won't see as many cancellations as you think. Anyone who has been thru this with Tesla knows that the launch of a vehicle is iffy at best until they actually come off the line.
Based on what happened with the Model 3, Y, Semi, Roadster, we went into this expecting that there would be delays (not knowing about Covid at the time). We love the vehicle and believe in the mission so we'll take ownership when they come out. Until then, saving a few more dollars for some other options. :)
I hope you're right Joe! I hope people stick with Rivian like they've done with Tesla.

·
Registered
2017 Prius, 2012 Tacoma, 2012 Vespa GTV300
256 Posts
Respectfully, comparing the BEV landscape of even a year ago to today, and the next few years, is a non starter. Anyone interested in a BEV has way more options today and will have even more in the future. I would expect interested buyers to be swapping between BEV preorders/reservations regularly, making actual productions numbers completely unpredictable.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Except, a $100 reservation doesn't indicate much if any of a commitment to buy - that's less than 1 tank of gas for your full-sized pickup. When it comes time to buy, those people still have to be sold on what's offered. I expect a lot of those people will back out for a wide variety of reasons - they might have bought something else, they might not have the money yet for a new car, they might find out the cost is going to be way more that advertised or that the dealer wants a $30,000 markup, or they might find something they like better, etc. I would be surprised if a high percentage of these reservations were ever completed.

With a $1000 reservation, on the other hand, I expect a much higher take rate, because people who aren't serious about buying just aren't going to tie up that much money. They are essentially already sold on the vehicle. They may still back out, but the less-serious buyers are filtered out from the start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Many will cancel. The rate will primarily depend on how Ford and competitors execute their truck deliveries. Agree that the $1k deposit weeds out a lot of people compared to $100 to temper reservations. I've seen several posts on here about people having multiple brands reserved, and the first one out wins their money.
Personally, I have a truck and will drive it until the Rivian arrives. Have a Model 3 arriving next month to scratch the EV itch until then.
The Lightning doesn't interest me (dealer markup, less features, slower, bigger) and the Cybertruck doesn't exist. The coming Silverado and Ram EVs are barely a blip right now and also dont seem to match the R1T. Nobody has an R1S competitor really.
Rivian has a home run product here. It's all about delivery and quality now. "Manufacturing hell"

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm curious, has anyone with a Rivian pre-order considered cancelling it given all uncertainty surrounding the Coronavirus? Or are you planning to still going through with it?

This may sound like an overreaction since Rivian hasn't started production but this virus is affecting everyone in different ways, especially financially. I know my bank account is starting to tighten up because of this virus.
I will cancel if they don't get smart about this and if the $7,500 rebate goes away with any new government bills.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am after the $12K price hike. I don't mind waiting if difficult to get parts, but I'm not going to pay $12K premium on a vehicle I was already paying more than double what I've ever spent on any vehicle. I'd be extremely pissed if my preorder was made a year ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am after the $12K price hike. I don't mind waiting if difficult to get parts, but I'm not going to pay $12K premium on a vehicle I was already paying more than double what I've ever spent on any vehicle. I'd be extremely pissed if my preorder was made a year ago.
I was in there to cancel yesterday, and ultimately decided not to because I thought give them time to reverse course, which they ultimately did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.