Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Prius, 2012 Tacoma, 2012 Vespa GTV300
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Apologies because I'm neither an owner or someone who has one on preorder, I'm still in the research phase, but I'm looking to chat with others that have questions or answers about unforeseen repairs, both within warranty and not. Range anxiety is one issue but why isn't anyone talking about service repair anxiety?

If either of my current ICE vehicles break down when still under warranty and I'm a within 320 kilometers (198 miles) away from the nearest dealership and their service centre, if it came with complimentary roadside assistance or because I have CAA (AAA) I can get the vehicle towed, then wait for repairs. Depending on the warranty coverage, alternate transportation would either be provided complimentary or be at my expense.

In the unlikely event that an R1T breaks down and Rivian is unable to repair the vehicle with either the OTA or Mobile Service options and the vehicle is located a significant distance from the closest Service Centre, if you have Rivian Roadside Assistance the New Vehicle Limited Warranty Guide states that Rivian will offer alternate transportation for certain repair lengths.

Once either my current ICE vehicles or the R1T are outside warranty the comparison is very different. It is very easy to remain within 320 kms (198 mi) of a dealership in Ontario. If I assume that the first Rivian Service Centre in Ontario will be located in Toronto then this would significantly limit the usefulness of a CAA (AAA) membership when using an R1T on a road trip.

Is anyone else concerned about this?

I agree that EV's are less likely to break down. I agree that Rivian appears to have made a great product. I would prefer to avoid arguing these points and instead focus on the worst case scenario because when it happens it always happens when you least expect it, in the most inconvenient location and at the most inconvenient time. Remember, these vehicles are being marketed as adventure vehicles.

I appreciate any advice and opinions while I continue my research.

Thanks!

·
Registered
498 Posts
...why isn't anyone talking about service repair anxiety?
Well, truthfully... EVSE's are extremely reliable. If they do require major service Rivian has said they will pick up your vehicle and transport it to the Service Center. It would be easy for them to bring a loaner car on the flatbed when they come for your car.

I've had 2 full EV's since 2017... and niether ever went in to the shop.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The Rivian warranty is 5 years, so you'd have lots of coverage while the service network is built out. Adding to the fact you haven't placed a reservation, yet, you probably wouldn't get a vehicle for 2+ years... So the number of locations and distance from a service center will likely be very different in 2028 than it does today.

In other words, I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

Thanks for the prompt responses folks. Keep them coming!

NY_Rob, I'm very happy to hear you haven't had to service either of your EV's in 4 years. Unfortunately not every owner will have the same experience. There are still some components EV's share with ICE's (i.e. brakes, suspension components etc).

CommodoreAmiga, Unfortunately the Canadian market is absolutely tiny when compared to the US market. I would highly doubt that Rivian would be in a position to open one or maybe two service centres in Ontario in the next 7 years. Especially if they share the opinion that EV's never break down or can be fixed via OTA or mobile service.

My intended use for an R1T would be a road trip and tow vehicle in addition to being my daily driver. I also intend to keep the vehicle for well over 10 years. I have no concerns about it meeting my needs as a daily driver. I do have concerns about road tripping as we usually travel over 4000 kms and to some more remote locations when compared with Southern Ontario. I'm prepared to significantly change the way we travel given that the R1T is an EV. I'm addressing my range anxiety. However, I've yet to be able to address my service repair anxiety given that Rivian doesn't intend to have a dealership network.

·
Registered
31 Posts
2 Teslas since 2016, R1S on pre-order, 1 12volt battery replaced in 5 years. Oh yes, I forgot, 0 oil changes, 0 emissions tests, 0 times I ran out of battery charge to include trips to Zion National Park and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon! The Rivian with 300 mile charge capability should do just fine. 400 mile range batteries would be ideal given current battery technology. Hope this information helps!

·
Registered
261 Posts
In Alaska and on our 2nd Tesla since 2014, had an S for 4 years and now a 3 for 3 years. I’m. ~2,300 miles (~3, 700km) from the nearest Tesla service center. EVs are simple, reliable, with almost no PM. As long as Rivian do mobile service similar to Tesla won’t be an issue.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ColeAK. Up to 4 years without any concerns is fantastic! I'm planning to own my next vehicle for well over 10. Our Toyota Echo last 16 years and 423,000 kms before we gave it to our nephew. Our 2012 Toyota Tacoma has over 270,000 kms on it. Our 2017 Prius is new to us as of last year but we're hoping to keep it for over 10 years.

Would love to hear from EV owners who have kept their vehicles well past the end of their warranty period?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks ColeAK. Up to 4 years without any concerns is fantastic! I'm planning to own my next vehicle for well over 10. Our Toyota Echo last 16 years and 423,000 kms before we gave it to our nephew. Our 2012 Toyota Tacoma has over 270,000 kms on it. Our 2017 Prius is new to us as of last year but we're hoping to keep it for over 10 years.

Would love to hear from EV owners who have kept their vehicles well past the end of their warranty period?
I have had a Toyota truck for 24 years so obviously I like to keep my vehicles for a long time. However given how EVs are really computers or cellphones on wheels, I think that keeping an EV for 24 years will be a lot like trying to keep a PC or a cellphone for 24 years. In other words, not a good idea given how rapidly computer and battery technology is evolving. Specifically, once solid state batteries that give longer range and are safer are widely available, I think I will feel a strong urge to upgrade. That will likely happen before the R1T goes out of warranty.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Driving my 2009 lx570 still. It's only been in the shop two times.

I have similar concerns especially on a newer brand, especially with air ride. Check other vehicles with air ride, they ALL FAIL within 5-7 years every single one of them. Lexus, Acura, range rover etc.

The 5 year bumper to bumper eases my concerns a little. Keep for 5 years and start deciding what to do based on quality etc.

I don't think I would even entertain the vehicle with only a 3 year warranty

·
Registered
27 Posts

I agree with Riviano that if your goal is to buy a vehicle that you will keep for 10+ years, an early production BEV from a brand new automaker just might not be the right car at the right time for your needs. Its a simple fact that the batteries will degrade over a 10+ year lifetime that includes heavy usage in daily driving/charging, and only time will tell exactly how much and how fast they will decline. Battery degradation and the progression of battery technology is one of my main concerns with buying a Rivian, if for no other reason than it could significantly reduce the resale value of these vehicles within 5-7 years. Add to that your concerns about not having a service center/dealership near by, and you might be better served to look into a PHEV (although they are extremely complicated mechanically, as NY_Rob pointed out to me in a different thread) or a good old fashion ICE vehicle until battery technology and Rivian itself progress a little further in their development.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for keeping this conversation going. Meanwhile I've heard back from Rivian via email but unfortunately it appears that its going to take several emails to get all the answers. I swear they have a computer generating their replies.

Anyway, I share your concerns regarding the steep initial depreciation with EV's. However, I feel that would be offset by keeping the vehicle for a long time (10+ years). But as you mentioned, while the 5 yr/60,000mi warranty helps, not surprisingly it doesn't go far enough.

I wholeheartedly support the transition from ICE to EV vehicles. Our last vehicle purchase was a hybrid and I truly hope our next will be an EV. I feel that most households that don't currently own an EV will follow a similar path and that the manufacturers know this. However, I'd love to see a comparison of the environmental impact of upgrading a new vehicle every 5 years to every 10 years. I know Engineering Explained did a great video comparing ICE to EV but I don't think he discussed the impact of keeping vehicles for a specific period of time.

Am I not being more environmentally friendly by keeping a vehicle well maintained, driving it conservatively and doing so for as long as possible?

Side note, our 2005 Toyota Echo was rated at 4.5L/100km. 12 years later our 2017 Toyota Prius is rated at 4.5L/100km. Both vehicles suited our needs. Is this really progress?

Or am I confused and Rivian plans to allow R1T owners to completely swap out their skateboard battery for a new battery while keeping the remainder of the original vehicle? Isn't this what Nio is doing with their battery swaps? Certainly seems way more environmentally friendly than scrapping the entire vehicle after only 10 years.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a 3 year old model 3 with no battery degradation. My model S had lost 5 miles after 4 years. It will take a long time before these batteries degrade to the point that is meaningful. And yes batteries can be swapped without swapping out cars.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Or am I confused and Rivian plans to allow R1T owners to completely swap out their skateboard battery for a new battery while keeping the remainder of the original vehicle? Isn't this what Nio is doing with their battery swaps? Certainly seems way more environmentally friendly than scrapping the entire vehicle after only 10 years.

Thoughts?
I am a big fan of NIO's swappable batteries and I would like Rivian to offer something similar. Swappable batteries eliminate the anxiety over battery degradation and battery technology obsolescence. In addition they provide one with a 100% recharged pack in minutes versus the 80-85% recharge people typically target when using a DC charger.

NIO expects to release a 150kWh solid state swappable battery pack by Q4 of next year that will be compatible with all the vehicles they have made so far. That means soon there will be NIO cars that are several years old driving around with a battery larger than the one in the R1T!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m a 2013 Tesla Model S owner with 108k miles. We bought it as a CPO in Feb of 2017 so coming up on 5 years. We have been out of warranty for the last two years. I just got back from my first service visit where I actually had to pay anything and it was $299. The break down was $99 for new rear axle nuts to address a click in the drivetrain and $200 for LTE cellular upgrade. I have had mobile service for a couple recalls at my home and at my work office and both were completely seamless. I did use the KC Tesla service center early on for some minor warranty things like door handles and a power window issue but those could have been easily addressed by mobile service had it been an option.

Wake up, drive the car, come home and plug it in at night, repeat day after day. I have no desire to buy any more gas powered cars.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The Edmunds Review is really the only review to watch (particularly if you can only watch 1 un-biased, fair and free from Rivian influence review)... highly recommend. The CO Journalist expedition was good to see what we already knew were awesome features, in action, out in the field. Those videos showed what a curated adventure on challenging off-road terrain could look like, and demonstrated some less apparent things like the compressor's utility and a spare tire change (for example). Its fantastic the Edmunds review was so positive.

·
Registered
261 Posts

We usually keep cars for a long time. Only reason we got rid of the S was it is sort of an odd car. Huge, but not much space. It was almost the same foot print as my LX570 with no where near the space inside. If the model 3 had been out in 2013 would have never bought the S. Sold it for >90% of what it was new after 4 years.

I’ve owned 3 vehicles since 1992. A 1991 land cruiser from 1992-2010, 2003 g500 from 2003-2014, and a 2013 LX570 from 2014 until now.

Prior to the Tesla S my wife drive a 2003 e320 4matic that we still have and out kids drive. Planning on at least 15 years out of the model 3. Im on the fence about getting a gen 1 Rivian since I use my trucks hard. Fairly technical off roading, tow a 6800 lb camper 10-15k miles a summer, not to mention AK is fairly remote so utmost reliability is a priority to me. My LX is on 34’s, it will be great if the RIvian will fit a 17” (or at least 18”) rim on 35’s.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.