Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else concerned that Rivian won't be able to survive by not being able to raise prices on pre-orders?
I was actually anticipating a 5k-ish increase on my 7/2021 R1S order.

Just concerned for the health of the company in general.

· Registered
74 Posts
Is anyone else concerned that Rivian won't be able to survive by not being able to raise prices on pre-orders?

They're in trouble because of how they bungled the pricing decision, not because they have to eat the cost for preorders -- which is a relative drop in the bucket compared to the long-term wounds they inflicted on themselves by alienating their core supporters, or hell...even just the initial loss in market cap they suffered within hours of the decision.

· Banned
473 Posts

I think the company is a complete mess. Will it survive? I do t think so but we will all see soooon.

· Registered
24 Posts
The investors like Ford, Soros, Bezos who basically Own this company will get it back on the tracks. I think they will fire some people that will be announced on March 10th. Having an engineer type as CEO is great for product and image but clearly he got bullied into the way they handled pricing and announcement of 2 motor which is really their future. The market is going to demand a product that is equal to other for a fair market cost. Just like Tesla who sells very few Model S vs 3 or Y the halo launch produce will not be the bulk of sales by 2024. A 2 motor truck does everything a buyer needs in reality and is going to be easier and more cost-effective to build. The bean counters are going to win because this is a business for profit and the halo ideas should be about image and on for a select percentage willing to pay the 20%+ more for what is really a nominally better product. As an example, a MB G550 is $133K base a G63 is 158K is 18% more.

· Registered
131 Posts
As an example, a MB G550 is $133K base a G63 is 158K is 18% more.
A few months ago I had an interesting conversation with a LR salesman. He was offering a 8cl defender for $160 and I told him that was G-wagon teritory. He proceeded to educate me that the G wagon was $250k.

Rivian has to accept the fact that the initial batch of R1s are just like all other initial batches of cars from other manufacturers. Even the G-wagon didn't start of at the $133k range (inflation adjusted). Pricing and profitability came with the reputation and popularity. IF Rivian focuses on building a similar cult-like following, I'm sure the profitability and success will follow.

· Registered
1,036 Posts
Rivian is a brand new public company company - essentially an emerging tech company that now has the cash, resources, employees and technology to potentially make this brand fly. Expectations that they crash and burn because of all of the hurdles they must clear are laughable. Look at their bank account, look at the reservations they have to fill and look at their biggest customer. This is going to take some time, so if you are just in it for the short term, you should definitely cut your losses and stop wasting time on posting on forums or pretending to invest in the stock - especially if you are just an oil and gas lobbyist. Let's face it, this whole EV thing might be here for a while. If you know the nature of emerging technology companies and how long it could take for a new company (like Tesla for example) to become profitable, then strap in and enjoy the wild ride, because that is what it will be - a wild ride. The question is not if they fail but rather where they end up. Will they emerge on top of a little man-made mole hill and be acquired, or will they summit an actual mountain. It's anybody's guess, but we won't know that answer for years. As far as I am concerned, RJ did what most CEO's aren't willing to do because of hubris, down-right arrogance or ego - he admitted a giant whopper of a mistake. Impressive is all I can say without being too offensive.

· Registered
530 Posts
Agree with everything you've written @R1TVT, save for the last sentence.

The response to the price increases was completely predictable, and I have to believe that was more than apparent to most of Rivian exec management. It is admirable that RJ was willing to take the fall for the poor decision, but I find it concerning that the decision was made in the first place. Perhaps RJ was big-boyed by his board, but that too is concerning since it raises the issue not only of who's running the company, but also of Rivian's corporate identity.

I'm optimistic about Rivian in the long run however. I just hope they've learned a lesson about what happens when you let bean-counters take charge of an engineering/tech company.

· Registered
9 Posts
Rivian is a brand new public company company - essentially an emerging tech company that now has the cash, resources, employees and technology to potentially make this brand fly. Expectations that they crash and burn because of all of the hurdles they must clear are laughable. Look at their bank account, look at the reservations they have to fill and look at their biggest customer. This is going to take some time, so if you are just in it for the short term, you should definitely cut your losses and stop wasting time on posting on forums or pretending to invest in the stock - especially if you are just an oil and gas lobbyist. Let's face it, this whole EV thing might be here for a while. If you know the nature of emerging technology companies and how long it could take for a new company (like Tesla for example) to become profitable, then strap in and enjoy the wild ride, because that is what it will be - a wild ride. The question is not if they fail but rather where they end up. Will they emerge on top of a little man-made mole hill and be acquired, or will they summit an actual mountain. It's anybody's guess, but we won't know that answer for years. As far as I am concerned, RJ did what most CEO's aren't willing to do because of hubris, down-right arrogance or ego - he admitted a giant whopper of a mistake. Impressive is all I can say without being too offensive.
I'd been trying to capture the words to express this, but you did it better. None of us should want or expect this company to fail. What they are creating is too important; far more so than our enjoyment as owners or our angst at having to wait.
The absence of mistakes does not define excellence; rather, it is found in the willingness to own a mistake, correct it, and not repeat it.
I'm in for the long haul.

· Registered
1 Posts
No. The consumer pickups are small part of their sales and Rivian no doubt ran it past the board and backers, Amazon, Soros et al.
Surviving is not enough, without the so called "small part of their sales..", you don't have the high valuation by retail investors, this goes for all "growth" / tech companies... I don't give much weight on the backings of Amazon, as they have their own share holders demands. IF, Amazon would even consider backing RVN it wouldn't be in the 100's of millions anymore.. but it would be in the $billions at that point, at which i don't believe the RVN's narrative as it stands today, it'll be that of Amazon's.

· Registered
6 Posts
The company should be flush with cash after the IPO, so no concerns there. The part I find strange is the original price increase didn't have a name to it, but the turn-around did, and it was RJ? Interesting to see how this plays out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.