Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Is the environment your main reason for buying a Rivian?

• Yes

Votes: 36 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 110 75.3%
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
The results I would have expected. I do however love how the anti-EV crowd constantly assumes we're all a bunch of tree huggers, hell bent on saving the world by buying EVs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
View attachment 7237

According to a recent survey taken by Polestar, 55% of drivers in the U.S. bought an EV for reasons other than it benefitting the environment.

Was that your reason for ordering a R1T or R1S? Or was it another reason? It'll be interesting to see the results given how much Rivian prides itself as a company that embraces the outdoors. Cast your votes and let's see if we get similar numbers to the survey.

Here's the link to the Polestar press release about the survey:

World class speed, truck bed, quality build

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think a lot of people here get the other reasons which is great to see. I have a reservation for an R1S and had a Ford Focus Electric for a few years. My biggest reason is the fact I don't need to go to the gas station and have a full tank every time I get in. I currently drive a Subaru Ascent and the size will be about the same but the power will be much better as I can really feel a difference between when I'm in the car and when I have my family in the car. I also pay for my electricity to be generated via Solar so moving off gas would benefit the environment.
Last I was looking at getting an Expedition so I can haul more stuff with the family and the price difference is not that large really and when you factor in gas the R1S ends up cheaper. I wish Ford and GM would electrify the big SUVs as that would be the largest gas savings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for this thread, this is a great discussion. For me, environmental concerns and wanting to help decarbonize transportation were a real factor. I definitely understand that buying a fairly expensive, heavy, relatively inefficient EV like a Rivian is not the best thing you can do environmentally - better to get something small like a Leaf (or just bike or take the bus), buy carbon offsets, etc. However, I have wanted an AWD vehicle for a long time to enhance enjoyment of the outdoors for myself and my (growing) family, but there really haven't been any good environmentally friendly options until now. I remember 10 years ago thinking this over in a lot of detail and almost buying a Subaru - but in the end I couldn't stomach buying what at the time was an 18 MPG vehicle. I think many of us have found that being an early adopter of Rivian has opened up many productive conversations with people who probably wouldn't be considering EVs, and might even be downright hostile to the idea. I can explain the convenience, low maintenance, super fun driving and monstrous speed to people who might not have listened otherwise. I welcome this given how polarized nearly every topic has become in the US these days!

·
Registered
34 Posts
LET ME ADD: FOR ME THERE ARE TWO ELEMENTS TO MY ANALYSIS AND DECISION MAKING ABOUT PLACING MY RIVIAN ORDER.

ECONOMICS IS AN ELEMENT; DOES THE PURCHASE MAKE SENSE FOR MY FAMILY ON AN ECONOMIC BASIS. GIVEN THE QUALITY OF THE CAR AND THE LIKELY SERVICE LIFE, THE ANSWER IS YES. AND SO LIKEWISE THAT I'LL SAVE MONEY DRIVING PAST GAS STATIONS (ANYONE REMEMBER WHEN THEY WERE CALLED SERVICE STATIONS?).

BUT OF EQUAL OR GREATER IMPORTANCE IS THE ETHICAL ELEMENT OF BEING PART OF DOING SOMETHING TO AID THE ENVIRONMENT. YES, I'M AWARE OF THE CHILDREN WITH DADDY ISSUES RUNNING ABOUT LETTING THE AIR OUT OF SUV TIRES, INCLUDING EV SUVs. THEIR REVOLUTIONARY "LOGIC" IS THAT . . . SORRY, BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER, BUT I THINK IT WAS SOMETHING ALONG THE LINES OF "SEE WE WHAT I'M DOING DADDY? DOES THIS JUST PISS YOU OFF?"

IS THE EV THE PERFECT SOLUTION? IT IS NOT. BUT IT'S A STEP FORWARD, AND IF WE WAIT FOR PERFECTION WE'LL ALL BE DEAD FIRST. WE'VE CHOSEN TO DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE, RATHER THAN RUN ABOUT IN THE DARK LETTING THE AIR OUT OF OTHER PEOPLE'S TIRES. DOING NOTHING IS A CHOICE. DOING SOMETHING IS A BETTER CHOICE.
No need to yell... or perhaps your caps lock key is stuck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I want to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.
I live on an island- its getting smaller.
We all live on an island (Earth) and its already too small.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My primary reason for purchasing an EV was environmental, and still is. However, even though the R1S is still much more environmentally friendly than any ICE vehicle, there are far more efficient EVs out there. I must admit that utility, practicality (for my use), and fun certainly entered into the equation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
These polls can be so twisted. So much depends on how they ask the question: Was it your main reason? Was it a factor in your decision? Was it important in making your decision? There are so many ways to read into these and the author can draw nearly any conclusion they want, and even print something else entirely in the headline! :sneaky:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I think a lot of people here get the other reasons which is great to see. I have a reservation for an R1S and had a Ford Focus Electric for a few years. My biggest reason is the fact I don't need to go to the gas station and have a full tank every time I get in. I currently drive a Subaru Ascent and the size will be about the same but the power will be much better as I can really feel a difference between when I'm in the car and when I have my family in the car. I also pay for my electricity to be generated via Solar so moving off gas would benefit the environment.
Last I was looking at getting an Expedition so I can haul more stuff with the family and the price difference is not that large really and when you factor in gas the R1S ends up cheaper. I wish Ford and GM would electrify the big SUVs as that would be the largest gas savings.
Welcome to the forum. Would love to see your solar charging setup!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I signed up for the technology. I am interested in preserving the planet as well. ICE is such an archaic system when compared to the technology that we have available. But economics have stood in the way of rolling out alternatives. Suzuki in his book "Romance of the Engines" describes the French exploding gunpowder in a cylinder system to pump water at Versailles. Then we went to steam and then ICE. The engineering has been magnificent. If you are a tech geek like me, try to get to the Air and Space Museum Annex near Dulles Airport and look at the lineage of fixed wing engines from early Wright 4 cylinders to these massive 36 cylinder spiral radial engines. The overall efficiency of ICE used for mobility is so poor. It is something like <1% in most passenger cars with so much loss due to heat, vibration/sound, friction and other parasitic losses. We can do so much better.

Now we are moving toward energizing electrons and creating electromagnetic fields to move us around. How do you energize those electrons? You can burn X and create steam>turbine>Generator>energize electrons. Or you can use fission>create steam>turbine>generator>energize electrons. Or you can use wind(fan blades) or water(turbine)>generator>energize electrons. Then there is the loss during transmission. Most of us do not have the space or the resources (makes economic sense unless subsidized by the government)) to install a solar array to energize the electrons.

I am interested in how motorsport will adopt the technology. I work for Formula One and Formula E. The hybrid transition is happening and is being embraced by sanctioning bodies. But there are massive hurdles when gas or diesel hold so many more joules/kg when compared to current battery technology. Motorsports is a show and pitting a car to recharge for 15 minutes for 1/2 hour of running would not be very fan friendly. The 24 hours of Le Mans is supposed to have a large number of prototype hybrids in 2023. But the fan base for battery only Formula E and Extreme E is growing.

Electric mobility is coming. Let's hope our grid can take it, or give me my own fusion reactor with an efficiency >1.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
It will be interesting to see when Ford and GM bring out electric Expeditions and Tahoes/Suburbans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was already planning to get a pickup truck as my next vehicle (Honda Ridgeline) but i just happened to Google ’electric pickup truck’ and was greeted to the now-familair image of the Hippo Nostril-d front end of the R1T
Why would I shell out $50k to get a pickup truck outfitted to my needs and get ~25mpg!
I’m so over ICE vehicles, it seems every time I have to address an issue under the hood it’s a minimum expenditure of at least $300 every time
im willing to spend a little more for a more mechanically simple vehicle i can fill up at home that will easily get 300000 miles on the ODO and fueling with electrons will save so much money over time to offset the initial cost

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sucking dino juice out of the ground is quickly coming to a halt and the concept that 80% of it goes up in heat makes no sense to me. I have been looking for a common sense solution to ICE problems for over 10 years. My last truck was CNG, but that was merely a band-aid on the problem. I decided 3 years ago to end the old truck and spent a long time figuring out the answer. I didn't want to drive a Prius and I regularly haul trailers, go off road to work, so I need a strong vehicle. The other prototypes seemed ridiculous (Nikola Badger, Bollinger B2, Endurance Workforce, Cybertruck), so when I came across this one, it just fit.

Answering your inquiry, I want to be on the solution side for the long run, but I haven't given up living in the meantime. Solar on the roof and electric vehicles in the garage is a good start. And...I don't miss the old truck at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I answered no above, but that is an over-simplification. If the environment were my main reason for buying then I would get something small like a Leaf. The reality is that the environment is a huge concern for me and my husband and replacing our gas guzzling 4-runner is a top priority. But, we don't want to give up our outdoor lifestyle and wish to increase our off-roading (not off trail) and camping in areas that are not all paved over. The Rivian is the best fit for what we are envisioning for our travel goals. It is also built in the US, and while not the greenest EV out there, is still a step in the right direction in our book. If we can use this vehicle the explore our country and those adjacent to us, we will be saving on flights and seeing amazing places that you can't get to without 4-wheel drive capabilities.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Part of my reason for buying a Rivian is for the environment but I also the performance and the price of energy is cheaper than gas.
The price of gas vs electricity is definitely a driving force for a lot of people. Do you have your Rivian now? Or are you waiting for delivery?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Owned 2 teslas over the last 8 years and on the list for multiple EV trucks. But Buying a new truck because gas is expensive doesn’t make sense.

example. My 2013 LX570 is paid for and my lifetime average is 12 mpg. My rivian configuration was (before I canceled it) explore and max pack and a few options was ~$92k, new price with jump is ~$99k. Let’s just say $90k for the following math. To make up the cost of the R1T @12 mpg at an average of $7/gallon I would have to drive 156,000 miles, at an average of $10/gallon I would have to drive 105,000 miles. For $100k truck I would need to drive 171,000 @ 7/gallon or 115,000 miles @ 10/gallon.

So if I buy a new rivian today for $100k and drive it for 10 years and 171k miles. With no supercharging and only charging at home, and keeping my kWh rate what it is today, and taking my 7.2 KW solar I would be out at least ~$25k in electricity.

from The standpoint of gas is expensive it doesn’t add up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Owned 2 teslas over the last 8 years and on the list for multiple EV trucks. But Buying a new truck because gas is expensive doesn’t make sense.

example. My 2013 LX570 is paid for and my lifetime average is 12 mpg. My rivian configuration was (before I canceled it) explore and max pack and a few options was ~$92k, new price with jump is ~$99k. Let’s just say $90k for the following math. To make up the cost of the R1T @12 mpg at an average of $7/gallon I would have to drive 156,000 miles, at an average of $10/gallon I would have to drive 105,000 miles. For $100k truck I would need to drive 171,000 @ 7/gallon or 115,000 miles @ 10/gallon.

So if I buy a new rivian today for $100k and drive it for 10 years and 171k miles. With no supercharging and only charging at home, and keeping my kWh rate what it is today, and taking my 7.2 KW solar I would be out at least ~$25k in electricity.

from The standpoint of gas is expensive it doesn’t add up.
You're leaving out the fact that you drive a 2013 vehicle and it won't last forever. If you are in the market for a new vehicle, and you will be in the near future, it would cost you base price $87k for a replacement LX570, then pay for the gas. If you want to keep paying for gasoline, then by all means go for it. Anyone else wanting to take that into consideration, it's a good idea.

If you drove a newer vehicle with minimal mileage, then don't run off to buy a new one for gas prices.

The R1T isn't for everyone, but there was something motivating you before. I hope you find the transportation you are looking for.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts