Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Is the environment your main reason for buying a Rivian?

• Yes

Votes: 36 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 110 75.3%
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Curious math. Why does a Rivian have to pay for itself in savings before you can justify buying one? Do you apply that same criteria to ICE vehicles? By your logic you should sell your LX570 and don't buy a replacement then you will actually be making money AND saving thousands of dollars a year.

So if I buy a new rivian today for $100k and drive it for 10 years and 171k miles. With no supercharging and only charging at home, and keeping my kWh rate what it is today, and taking my 7.2 KW solar I would be out at least ~$25k in electricity.
Substitute LX570 for Rivian in the above (they are close to the same MSRP) and with your value of $7/gal for gas it would read:
"So if I buy a new LX570 today for $100k and drive it for 10 years and 171k miles ... I would be out at least ~$100k in gas."

Sounds like buying the Rivian would save you $75k over 10 years compared to buying that Lexus. Using your numbers.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Despite the survey numbers, its more likely the reverse, that most buyers of EV's do it for climate science issues of global warming. We saw the same phenomenon with Tesla's where people would buy them and then say they did it for reasons other than the environment when they could get easily get ICE vehicles for their same stated non-environmental reasons and pay less money. A lot of people buying expensive status cars are in social situations where climate science is vilified so they have to come up with a cover story for their social set when buying an EV when their main motive is reduced greenhouse gases.

·
Registered
320 Posts
You're leaving out the fact that you drive a 2013 vehicle and it won't last forever. If you are in the market for a new vehicle, and you will be in the near future, it would cost you base price $87k for a replacement LX570, then pay for the gas. If you want to keep paying for gasoline, then by all means go for it. Anyone else wanting to take that into consideration, it's a good idea.

If you drove a newer vehicle with minimal mileage, then don't run off to buy a new one for gas prices.

The R1T isn't for everyone, but there was something motivating you before. I hope you find the transportation you are looking for.
My LX was $102k in 2013 when I bought it. I currently have 96k miles and it will easily go another 170k with no major issues. Land cruisers are the longest lasting vehicles made. I would wager that my 13 LX will out last a 2022 R1T by at least a decade.

I’ve driven Land cruisers overseas that have >500,000 km entirely off road with no major issues.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Curious math. Why does a Rivian have to pay for itself in savings before you can justify buying one? Do you apply that same criteria to ICE vehicles? By your logic you should sell your LX570 and don't buy a replacement then you will actually be making money AND saving thousands of dollars a year.

Substitute LX570 for Rivian in the above (they are close to the same MSRP) and with your value of $7/gal for gas it would read:
"So if I buy a new LX570 today for $100k and drive it for 10 years and 171k miles ... I would be out at least ~$100k in gas."

Sounds like buying the Rivian would save you $75k over 10 years compared to buying that Lexus. Using your numbers.
I’m fully in on EVs. I’m just saying the argument of buying one to Replace a running ICE to save money on gas doesn’t make sense.

if my LX got totaled tomorrow I would not replace it with an ICE.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I’m fully in on EVs. I’m just saying the argument of buying one to Replace a running ICE to save money on gas doesn’t make sense.
I guess you'd want to factor in maintenance and repairs as well, but with your Lexus being a reliable vehicle that probably doesn't add up to much. In my Touareg, it did, haha.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Despite the survey numbers, its more likely the reverse, that most buyers of EV's do it for climate science issues of global warming. We saw the same phenomenon with Tesla's where people would buy them and then say they did it for reasons other than the environment when they could get easily get ICE vehicles for their same stated non-environmental reasons and pay less money. A lot of people buying expensive status cars are in social situations where climate science is vilified so they have to come up with a cover story for their social set when buying an EV when their main motive is reduced greenhouse gases.
I can tell you for myself that the environment is a positive but it is the LEAST on my list of considerations. I need a truck, I don't have one now so that's #1. Two is the Rivian is smaller than your standard truck but has the same sort of performance I didn't want the size of a massive truck but I need the full size capability for towing. Third is how fast it is. Fourth is that I don't have to go to the gas station ever.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I can tell you for myself that the environment is a positive but it is the LEAST on my list of considerations. I need a truck, I don't have one now so that's #1. Two is the Rivian is smaller than your standard truck but has the same sort of performance I didn't want the size of a massive truck but I need the full size capability for towing. Third is how fast it is. Fourth is that I don't have to go to the gas station ever.
You can get what you want in a ICE for less money other than the "don't go to gas station" which is more than offset by "have to use public charger when traveling". Especially true if towing is the main reason for the RT1. EV's are not really ready for prime time on towing. So if no environmental concerns and need for truck bed and towing, ICE is going work better and be cheaper. Tundra and Ranger have performance models that put them in the 6 sec range on 0-60 and can two 7,000, about the same as RS1.

If you take out environmental reasons, no real reasons for buying an EV over ICE and especially for towing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
We made the transition to EV primarily for the environment but also because most of my 50+ yrs of driving I have hated big oils grip, along with knowing some portion of the money spent went into the pockets of folks who want us dead.

We chose R1T and EV6 to make the initial transition to EV. 15yrs ago we purchased a Prius because it emitted less crap into the air.

EVs are NOT the perfect solution but I believe it’s a step in the right direction.

Just imagine if EVs were the norm and the new thing were ICEs. Would you choose to switch to vehicles that inefficiently burn toxic explosive flammable gasoline while emitting toxic chemicals, particles and gasses. That are limited to the amount of gas they can hold. No infrastructure but that will eventually create thousands of mini super fund sites (leaking gas storage tanks). There is so much more bad stuff to say but we have had 100+ years to adjust and become complacent to becoming down right stupid.

We want what we think we want and dam responsibility and common sense!

If ICE exhaust was black and smelled bad we would pay a lot more attention to it. But it is mostly colorless and odorless so we drive and live immersed in it not caring about what it does to us.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts