Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'd say that it's plenty of space considering that it's an adventure vehicle, not a work truck. I was about to pull the trigger on a Gladiator and there the concern about bedspace is a lot more real, as it's missing the frunk and tunnel. For the adventure application, the current bed should be more than enough
It's interesting how similar the two beds are for size

Rivian R1T
  • Bed width: 51 inches
  • Bed length with tailgate up: 54 inches

Jeep Gladiator
  • Bed width:56.8 inches
  • Gate opening: 50 inches
  • Bed length with tailgate up: 60.3 inches

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's interesting how similar the two beds are for size

Rivian R1T
  • Bed width: 51 inches
  • Bed length with tailgate up: 54 inches

Jeep Gladiator
  • Bed width:56.8 inches
  • Gate opening: 50 inches
  • Bed length with tailgate up: 60.3 inches
I used an Explorer Sport trac in the past, so plenty big for my use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do we know if sheet goods will fit lying flat in the bed?
I reached out to Rivian today and they stated the distance between the wheel wells on the truck bed is 50", so it will barely accommodate a 4x8' sheet of plywood. I think for most contractors who do light construction the truck bed will be fine. Anyone who does a lot of building has their materials delivered to the job site anyway. There are times I may need an 8' or 10' 2x4, and this bed would suffice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I reached out to Rivian today and they stated the distance between the wheel wells on the truck bed is 50", so it will barely accommodate a 4x8' sheet of plywood. I think for most contractors who do light construction the truck bed will be fine. Anyone who does a lot of building has their materials delivered to the job site anyway. There are times I may need an 8' or 10' 2x4, and this bed would suffice.
Let's be honest, this is as much of a "work-truck" as my track car. Anybody that does hauling day-in-day-out would never spend ~$75k for a car.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
141 Posts
I’ve not seen it marketed as a “work truck”. It’s an adventure vehicle. If you want a work truck, wait for the F150.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just put my $1K down yesterday so I may be the newest member here. I would like more bed room even at the cost of less cabin. My needs aren't as a work truck as Im retired. I have a crew cab F350 long bed with a slide in camper that I plan to keep. Im tired of mounting and un-mounting the camper whenever I need a truck bed. I think the Rivian will work for my needs and it seems like it is coming sooner. Still, from my POV and if I were king for a day I would like more bed. If the F150E came out sooner I might jump that way if it had more bed. I do see some huge advantages to having a motor at each wheel and the cool capabilities that brings. As kind of a related point- I have more solar panels than I need so with "free" electricity I don't need the most efficient vehicle out there - as long as it is electric. That is where I started thinking of an electric truck.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
141 Posts
I just put my $1K down yesterday so I may be the newest member here. I would like more bed room even at the cost of less cabin. My needs aren't as a work truck as Im retired. I have a crew cab F350 long bed with a slide in camper that I plan to keep. Im tired of mounting and un-mounting the camper whenever I need a truck bed. I think the Rivian will work for my needs and it seems like it is coming sooner. Still, from my POV and if I were king for a day I would like more bed. If the F150E came out sooner I might jump that way if it had more bed. I do see some huge advantages to having a motor at each wheel and the cool capabilities that brings. As kind of a related point- I have more solar panels than I need so with "free" electricity I don't need the most efficient vehicle out there - as long as it is electric. That is where I started thinking of an electric truck.

Steve
Welcome to the forum Steve!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Steve
Welcome @Stevew! Aside from the R1T and electric F-150 did you consider any other trucks like the Hummer or Cybertruck?

·
Registered
4 Posts
R99, The hummer is not really my style. I don't want to live quite that large! :). The cyber truck will probably be good but Im not crazy about the looks. So in my mind that leaves Rivian and then the typical Detroit players.

Steve

·
Registered
907 Posts
R99, The hummer is not really my style. I don't want to live quite that large! :). The cyber truck will probably be good but Im not crazy about the looks. So in my mind that leaves Rivian and then the typical Detroit players.

Steve
Welcome.

I agree. the Hummer is a massive upgrade over the R1T. Its almost like upgrading to a heavy duty pickup and for most of us that's unrealistic.

Anyone ever wonder what customer demographic Rivian had in mind from the start?
Because the R1T seems to be more on the mild side of pickups and they didn't give us footsteps...
Maybe the data says most R1T's will be used like the average SUV?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Steve
That's definitely fair. Plus GMC is pricing the Hummer way above the other trucks as a "super truck"

·
Super Moderator
141 Posts
Just saw this on the cold weather testing in MN article. Perhaps an extended cab vs. crew cab that also includes a longer bed?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts