Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Skis won't fit!
Skis fit in my Chevy Bolt (and Tesla)! The diagonal length of the R1T is 188 cm, so some shorter skis will fit tightly, but not most of what I use. That's an adventure killer for me! I'd definietely buy this truck if skis fit in the bed and I could get a capper with a roof line matching the cab for hauling my long double kayak.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd prefer a 6.5' bed but I could make the R1T work for my needs. I imagine some aftermarket company will come out with a suitable bed extender, making it possible to haul anything with the tail gate down.
Bed is just under 8 feet with tailgate down so anything up to 12 feet is easy with straps. In my Ridgeline (similar size bed) I’ve taken a bundle of 16 foot trim just strapped it down carefully and took it easy on the drive home. If you’re taking a lot of longer items or something that is flimsy you can get a trailer hitch extender. Basically just square metal tubing that adjusts to same height as bed.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Skis won't fit!
Skis fit in my Chevy Bolt (and Tesla)! The diagonal length of the R1T is 188 cm, so some shorter skis will fit tightly, but not most of what I use. That's an adventure killer for me! I'd definietely buy this truck if skis fit in the bed and I could get a capper with a roof line matching the cab for hauling my long double kayak.
You can easily mount a box or rack with the crossbars, so not being able to load longer skis directly into your truck bed isn't necessarily going to kill any adventures. You could even throw skis into a travel bag, open the tonneau a bit and be fine with them sticking up a foot over the tailgate.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The Atlis XT is a gigantic prototype "HD-type" truck concept targeted specifically toward work (not really in the same category as Rivian).
Atlis doesn't even put themselves into the same category as Rivian in their investor deck.
Any work truck is going to have a different bed configuration than Rivian's shorter and more compact bed.
I just wouldn't compare the beds, because I would never buy an Atlis, for a whole slew of reasons.
I don't even think you can actually "BUY" one in the traditional sense, since they have some whacky, all-in, lease-only subscription model. Def not what I am after anyway.

·
Registered
2017 Prius, 2012 Tacoma, 2012 Vespa GTV300
62 Posts
As someone considering the R1T for use as a TV, I have to say that the Atlis XT's longer bed options, larger frunk and ability to remove one or both of the rear seats is very attractive!
I'm not saying the prototype will become a reality or be available to purchase by retail customers.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Everything is a compromise. If you tow most of the time and need a humongous FRUNK and massive payload and care less about the refined drive quality that Rivian is delivering for BOTH on and off-road use (at least based on all the initial reviews), then go nuts on Atlis!

There will always be some work truck-oriented buyers for Rivian (despite Rivian being billed as an "adventure vehicle"), and there will always be some adventure-oriented buyers for EV work trucks out there. I'm guessing that 95% of Rivian pre-order holders are NOT in that first category.

I know that since I am in the more "adventure-oriented category" and will ALSO use the truck as a semi-daily driver (or daily driver if that ever becomes a thing again), that I can get bed with less cargo room in the trunk for things like hauling mulch, making dump runs, or towing a few times a year. If that were flipped, and my actual work or job depended on a real work truck (day in and day out), and I didn't want to worry about some dings and scratches after shelling out $80K, then I would probably go with a Ford Lightening before considering an Atlis - particularly since Ford would be the company standing behind it.

I'm not seeing anything particularly impressive about Atlis at all, except some of their battery tech claims, which I am dubious about.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts