Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I ordered a Rivian R1S couple of months ago with the wall charger option. Now I'm hearing there are other 3rd party chargers available in the market. So, I'm wondering if getting a Rivian wall charger is worth it? I also think the max charging rate of 25 miles per hour using this in-home wall charger is really not that fast. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
498 Posts
For $500 (when purchased with the truck) it's a decent deal as it's a 48amp unit. Most J1772 home EVSE's are 32-40amp, so the Rivian EVSE is a higher rated unit.
Keep in mind, to charge at 48 amps, you must build a 60amp circuit.

It's only 25 miles/hour charge rate because the R1T is not as efficient as sedan style EV's. If you charged a Model 3 at 48amps it would be 44 miles/hour charge rate.

If you look at the Tesla Wall Charger link below, it has info for the 30% Fed tax credit (good for any brand EVSE) an a link to find local incentives for EVSE's too:

I got my last EVSE, a Juicebox 40 Pro for $25 because my local Utility was offering a $500 rebate on any approved wi-fi enabled EVSE. How could you pass up that deal?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If you don’t already have an EVSE, then the Rivian one is a good one to get. No L2 EVSE will charge your R1S faster. It’s priced well and has an excellent warranty.

The only reason to go with a non-Rivian EVSE is if you have already have an EVSE, want a Tesla connector, or need the ability to “share” a single circuit with another EVSE.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Lol... I just checked, my Utility is still running the $500 rebate on L2 EVSE's:

And the Juicebox Pro 40 is $599:

So you can get a full 40amp wifi EVSE for $99 :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very informative and useful replies. Thanks guys. I already own a Tesla model 3 and I already have a Tesla wall charger installed in my garage. I also live in Texas. I'll have to check with my utility on any rebates for getting the Rivian EVSE. For now, I will keep this option in my order configuration. Thanks again.

·
Registered
498 Posts
^ you can just use a $150 adapter for your Tesla EVSE to charge the R1T:

If I didn't still have my Juicebox Pro 40 EVSE, I'd use the adapter above on our Tesla Wall Charger (we still have a Model 3 at home) so the Tesla EVSE would be doing double duty charging both the Model 3 and the R1T.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I see. I wasn't aware there is an adopter that allows you to use Tesla wall charger to charge a Rivian. Are you sure this adopter will work for Rivian R1S?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

If I didn't still have my Juicebox Pro 40 EVSE, I'd use the adapter above on our Tesla Wall Charger (we still have a Model 3 at home) so the Tesla EVSE would be doing double duty charging both the Model 3 and the R1T.
Will it offer the same charging speed of 25 miles per hour for the Rivian R1S?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Do you really need to charge at 25mph vs. 20mph? You have to consider your daily use and how much time you have to charge. If you leave the house at 8am and return at 6pm... you will have 14hrs to charge. At 20mph, that would add 280mi range overnight. Do you drive more than 280mi/day?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it would work, although it's limited to 40A so you would get ~20 miles of range gained per hour, rather than the ~25 of the Rivian EVSE (48A).
Thank you! This is an attractive option since it will save me $350 plus cost of installing a new Rivian wall charger for basically getting the same speed. I think I will go with the adopter option. I will remove the wall charger from my Rivian R1S order. Thank you very my friend. This is exactly the kind of info and tips I was looking for.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you really need to charge at 25mph vs. 20mph? You have to consider your daily use and how much time you have to charge. If you leave the house at 8am and return at 6pm... you will have 14hrs to charge. At 20mph, that would add 280mi range overnight. Do you drive more than 280mi/day?
Completely agree. That's why I'm going with the adapter option since I already have my Tesla and its wall charger installed in my garage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am a current EV owner (2 x Tesla for over 4 years) and never bothered with a Wall Connector or other brand name charger at home. We have 2 NEMA 14/50 outlets on 60amp circuits and that's it. Both charge at 48amp max.

Once you have an EV at home you never think about the charging speed. Overnight is overnight. The extra 10-15% of juice from a branded charging station doesn't help in any way. It's not a 'supercharger'. For me, the 500 or 700 bucks is far better spent on some other items in the Rivian "Gear" shop.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am a current EV owner (2 x Tesla for over 4 years) and never bothered with a Wall Connector or other brand name charger at home. We have 2 NEMA 14/50 outlets on 60amp circuits and that's it. Both charge at 48amp max.

Once you have an EV at home you never think about the charging speed. Overnight is overnight. The extra 10-15% of juice from a branded charging station doesn't help in any way. It's not a 'supercharger'. For me, the 500 or 700 bucks is far better spent on some other items in the Rivian "Gear" shop.
When I build my next home, I will definitely make sure to have outlets on at least 60 amp circuits. For now, I already have a Tesla wall charger and will just use it with an adapter to charge the Rivian when I get it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all. I ordered a Rivian R1S couple of months ago with the wall charger option. Now I'm hearing there are other 3rd party chargers available in the market. So, I'm wondering if getting a Rivian wall charger is worth it? I also think the max charging rate of 25 miles per hour using this in-home wall charger is really not that fast. Any thoughts?
Tesla now sells a wall charger for non-Tesla vehicles. It has the J1772 plug. I think it's only $415. J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Yes it would work, although it's limited to 40A so you would get ~20 miles of range gained per hour, rather than the ~25 of the Rivian EVSE (48A).
I would personally, if had to install it now, add a Tesla J1772 wall connector. It does 48A (And we are an EV only household and I can say yes it makes a difference to us).
this is mostly because you can then add a second wall connector on the same circuit, just with a sub panel, and have both of them share the 60A line by software - controlled power sharing. And if you are buying a Rivian it is very likely you will become an Ev- only household too, end it is likely than you will appreciate if you have 2 cars, the benefit of having 2 cables you can plug and forget and let them power share.

Also now the Tesla wall charger has 24 feet of cord which is much better than the previous.

I have a Tesla-to-j1772 adapter that is rated for 80A (edit: I noticed people mentioned the Tesla Tap) and is small and elegant. But there is no reason to use that since you can get a Tesla wall connector with J1772 now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.