Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my R1T after 3 years. Carabiner key doesn’t not work, hood is misaligned, the steering shakes at speed over 50mph and truck pulls to the right. Service called me back 3 times every time a different person and still can’t tell me when they can fix it. Last service advisor told me that I should’ve expected some issues since it’s a new car company and a new car. I am hoping that shaking of the steering wheel and pulling to the right could be solved with rebalancing of the wheels. If I wanted panel gaps and issues would’ve bought a Tesla.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Car Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Grille Hood

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
R1S LE in LE Green & Forest Edge (8/14/2019 Preorder) Oct-Dec 2022 Arrival
216 Posts
I got my R1T after 3 years. Carabiner key doesn’t not work, hood is misaligned, the steering shakes at speed over 50mph and truck pulls to the right. Service called me back 3 times every time a different person and still can’t tell me when they can fix it. Last service advisor told me that I should’ve expected some issues since it’s a new car company and a new car. I am hoping that shaking of the steering wheel and pulling to the right could be solved with rebalancing of the wheels. If I wanted panel gaps and issues would’ve bought a Tesla. View attachment 6277
View attachment 6274
View attachment 6276
View attachment 6275
Whoa! That hood is closed?! That’s the worst hood/gap picture I have seen in the last year!

·
Registered
21 Posts
omg do we have the same R1T.... Same problem lol. steering wheel shakes above 50 and pulls to the right... and panel gap galore... mines not as bad as yours.... its been over a week 3-4 different service representatives....no update on when to bring vehicle in.... not happy with service experience so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear it. It’s been very disappointing so far. Seems like the trucks delivered are hit or miss.

omg do we have the same R1T.... Same problem lol. steering wheel shakes above 50 and pulls to the right... and panel gap galore... mines not as bad as yours.... its been over a week 3-4 different service representatives....no update on when to bring vehicle in.... not happy with service experience so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Car finally returned from service. The only thing they fixed was the hood alignment. Still pulls to the right. Steering wheel still vibrates at high speed. In addition to all that one plastic panel on the bottom of the car under drivers side door was barely attached, the other under rear passenger door on driver's side is bent and looks like it was popped with screwdriver. I don't know why I expected more from this company, but I did. Lesson learned. As soon as my title comes in I am flipping this truck. Or and tailgate is misaligned as well on the passenger side.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Wood Rim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I would have driven it right back to the service center. Likely not even driven it away since the panel alignments not done. Sounds just like Tesla early days of the Model 3.
I would have but service center is 170 miles from me. They tow my car back and forth and the tow company is not related to Rivian.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I would have but service center is 170 miles from me.
Yikes. Explains why Rivian said it wanted to limit to deliveries to where it had service centers in place. Would have returned it after hitting 50 and getting the wobble (if I didn't notice the alignment issues not addressed) and gotten rental and driven home. With Tesla, that would happen and once you took it you'd have to reschedule for 20-30 days later

·
Registered
266 Posts
So does Rivian “suspend” your return window days/mileage while it’s in their hands being serviced? If a service Ranger comes to me that might be one thing, but if it’s taking a trip on a flat bed & will be there for days I’m thinking the clock should stop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see the Cross Turismo in the background - is that yours also? Having previously owned a 911 and a model X, the Porsche build quality is hard to match. If you're very unsatisfied with it just put it on Cars & Bids and enjoy the profit?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Who out there expected to receive a ‘99% perfect vehicle’ from a first year car company producing first year rather complex vehicles? If you did you have unrealistic expectations. Like betting on a first year expansion football team winning the super bowl after year 1. We all paid good money and got a good vehicle. Suggest you look at this as an adventure by helping out a new company trouble shoot their problems. Seems like some folks were upset because delivery of their R1T was delayed so they ramped up production and there were some hood alignments off and wheels not balanced properly. Life’s an adventure, enjoy the ride. If you want to complaint about something talk politics with someone!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Your sentiment is accurate, but there is a balance between delighting your first customers and experiencing more minor issues. Yes, as early adopters we should anticipate (and expect) that we will be bug testing and requiring some service, however, this particular vehicle (given what the OP has shown in the photos & described from driving the vehicle) may have skipped through Rivian Q/A. A vehicle like this is an exception (at least based on what I have seen for deliveries to date), and the OP probably could make a return claim or request a new vehicle even (if these issues are not addressed).

My R1T is now in for its first service, as I have a checklist of mostly minor items. None of which make me want to return or sell the vehicle. I had to wait almost a month for a service window. I had to leave my R1T at the SC yesterday. I did not get a Rivian Loaner (but I did get an Enterprise rental while the work is being performed). Is any of this ideal? No, of course not, but is it to be expected? I would say YES, it is to be expected.

This is my punch list:

1. Found a SW bug in gear guard (RESOLVED w/latest SW update)
2. Have one key card that does not work (can be easily fixed I imagine)
3. Found weather strip / high water seal for driver side pulling away/missing adhesive (easy fix)
4. Have likely balance issue on 1 wheel at high speed - most noticeable at 80+MPH (advised service to try spare wheel if needed)
5. Have some unexpected power window behaviors & noises (inconsistent, but should be fixable)
6. Suspension "creaking" from dead stop or when applying brakes on front-end of vehicle (biggest issue IMHO, this one is possibly tricky)

Despite the above, the truck continues to far exceed my expectations everyday I drive it, and I can't imagine that these can't / won't be resolved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That hood gap is pretty bad but I am sure it's not funny. Have you checked the tire pressure? Mine pulls slightly to the right as well but not enough for it to bother me, and I would prefer a slight pull to the right than left.

Your tailgate looks similar to mine. I have only seen one other in person and theirs was the same. Also the stamping doesn't look like it is perfectly aligned so I don't think any adjusting will fix mine, if you line up one section another will be misaligned.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took the car to the service last week. Drove a bit with the technician who noticed that the car pulls. His comment was that this air suspension is similar to McLaren. He said it sometimes takes them three takes to properly adjust it. On the tailgate he bluntly said that there is nothing they can do. Got the truck after three days and it doesn't pull to the right anymore. But now there is crazy creaking from suspension or wheels every time I get on or off the accelerator. Now it has to go to service for the third time in a month!!! Anyone else had the creaking noise? It also makes softer noises when the truck self leveling.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Who out there expected to receive a ‘99% perfect vehicle’ from a first year car company producing first year rather complex vehicles? If you did you have unrealistic expectations. Like betting on a first year expansion football team winning the super bowl after year 1. We all paid good money and got a good vehicle. Suggest you look at this as an adventure by helping out a new company trouble shoot their problems. Seems like some folks were upset because delivery of their R1T was delayed so they ramped up production and there were some hood alignments off and wheels not balanced properly. Life’s an adventure, enjoy the ride. If you want to complaint about something talk politics with someone!
I know they say "stay adventurous" but taking my truck to service 3 times in a first months is not the adventure I envisioned. Rather than posting videos of how they build trucks RJ should implement better quality control. Also $80K is a lot of money to be a beta tester.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I see the Cross Turismo in the background - is that yours also? Having previously owned a 911 and a model X, the Porsche build quality is hard to match. If you're very unsatisfied with it just put it on Cars & Bids and enjoy the profit?
Cross Turismo is absolutely amazing. I bought it after 4 years in Model X. Hands down best Porsche on the market today aside from GT cars. Probably going to sell R1T. Experience is too frustrating.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your sentiment is accurate, but there is a balance between delighting your first customers and experiencing more minor issues. Yes, as early adopters we should anticipate (and expect) that we will be bug testing and requiring some service, however, this particular vehicle (given what the OP has shown in the photos & described from driving the vehicle) may have skipped through Rivian Q/A. A vehicle like this is an exception (at least based on what I have seen for deliveries to date), and the OP probably could make a return claim or request a new vehicle even (if these issues are not addressed).

My R1T is now in for its first service, as I have a checklist of mostly minor items. None of which make me want to return or sell the vehicle. I had to wait almost a month for a service window. I had to leave my R1T at the SC yesterday. I did not get a Rivian Loaner (but I did get an Enterprise rental while the work is being performed). Is any of this ideal? No, of course not, but is it to be expected? I would say YES, it is to be expected.

This is my punch list:

1. Found a SW bug in gear guard (RESOLVED w/latest SW update)
2. Have one key card that does not work (can be easily fixed I imagine)
3. Found weather strip / high water seal for driver side pulling away/missing adhesive (easy fix)
4. Have likely balance issue on 1 wheel at high speed - most noticeable at 80+MPH (advised service to try spare wheel if needed)
5. Have some unexpected power window behaviors & noises (inconsistent, but should be fixable)
6. Suspension "creaking" from dead stop or when applying brakes on front-end of vehicle (biggest issue IMHO, this one is possibly tricky)

Despite the above, the truck continues to far exceed my expectations everyday I drive it, and I can't imagine that these can't / won't be resolved.
Did they figure out what causes creaking? Mine creaks like crazy. Front end when starting or stoping

1 - 20 of 33 Posts