Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve noticed that occasionally when I move the shift stem on the right of the steering column into drive or reverse the windshield wiper goes through one operational cycle. I found this strange as the wiper functions are operated by the stem on the opposite side of the steering column. Has anyone else addressed this event? Is it normal? Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Okay so I took the truck to service again. Creaking from front anytime I step on or off the accelerator is ridiculous. Few hours later they call me and tell me that there is currently no fix for creaking. They do not know what causes this but the vehicle is safe to drive and I should pick it up. How do they know it’s safe to drive if they don’t know what causes the creaking? Honestly, Rivian service is a joke. I had an early Model X for 4 years and only been to service twice.

·
Registered
929 Posts
UPDATE: Sorry, I've had mine back now for over a week. The creaking was fixed, but I'm not sure if it was the new Front Drive Unit that fixed it, or if it was this... The work order and service recap below makes it sound like it was corrosion, which is strange:

Concern: - Creaking noise from of upon acceleration from a stop and when braking at low speed.
Cause: - Corrosion present on half shaft and hub.
Correction/Remedy: - Steering General Diagnostic - Halfshaft, Front, LH (Remove and Replace)
Labor: Time (Hours): Labor Time Cost:1.2 $0

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’ve noticed that occasionally when I move the shift stem on the right of the steering column into drive or reverse the windshield wiper goes through one operational cycle. I found this strange as the wiper functions are operated by the stem on the opposite side of the steering column. Has anyone else addressed this event? Is it normal? Thanks
I can't speak to if it's normal, but it happens to me on occasion as well. I haven't addressed it with Rivian. Anyone else?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't speak to if it's normal, but it happens to me on occasion as well. I haven't addressed it with Rivian. Anyone else?
I located the source of the issue and simple fix. It’s an adjustment of the windshield wiper settings through the ‘setting’ menu. Place it on ‘off’ (last choice at bottom of list) and not on the selection about it. FIXED

·
Registered
7 Posts
I located the source of the issue and simple fix. It’s an adjustment of the windshield wiper settings through the ‘setting’ menu. Place it on ‘off’ (last choice at bottom of list) and not on the selection about it. FIXED
But is that really a fix? It’s not working as intended and should be reported to Rivian. It’s happening to me and just reported it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe the setting my was on is an option for the wipers to come on when it senses moisture or another reason to clean the windshield before you drive. I’m investigating further and will post what I find out. Please let me know what Rivian does in response to your submission.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am sending my R1T in for the same creaking noise when accelerating or decelerating at low speeds. I also have a clunking sounds at the same low speeds- both occurring on the front/driver side. Don't know if this is related as well, but the truck shudders when accelerating on an on-ramp around 50 mph. Hope they are able to diagnose and, most important, FIX the problem. The sounds are very annoying, and point to a significant issue. Will let you know what they find...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe the setting my was on is an option for the wipers to come on when it senses moisture or another reason to clean the windshield before you drive. I’m investigating further and will post what I find out. Please let me know what Rivian does in response to your submission.
They got back to me on this and said it’s intentional…”courtesy wipe” to remove any dust or debris.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, diagnosed as blown front drive unit. Part should arrive in service center tomorrow. I would get yours checked out.
After my 2 trips to the SC for the 'pulling to right' issue, the creaking started from that same front right wheel one day after I got it back. It got progressively worse over a couple days and I'm really uncomfortable driving it. Now it sits in my driveway. The truck still pulls to the right BTW, but much less than it did. I called this in via the support contact in the app. That was 2 days ago and the reply has been crickets. Crickets from Service and from my Guide.

I had that same wiper discrepancy too, which I brought up when I dropped off the truck for the 'pulling to the right' issue. Seems like they went into my settings and turned that "feature" off because it hasn't happened since.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts