Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my final inspection earlier today the field service team found four issues:
  1. Minor scratch on underside of hood
  2. Subtle peeling of the protective material around the edge of a gear tunnel door
  3. Scratches on the tonneau cover
  4. And most notably two sizable dents on the frame inside the drivers door
Anyone else experience this? My guide thought it was an issue stemming from the production line since it was painted over. How did this pass the inspection at the factory?

Now I can accept delivery with Rivian’s commitment to fix it “within two to four weeks”. A verbal only commitment of course. Or refuse delivery and also wait 2-4 weeks for a ‘fixed’ vehicle. What would you do?
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Grille

I’m also seeing a lot of clear coat surface scratches on the hood from what appears to be a wax or buff job gone astray.

First world problems to be sure. And yet still problems.

·
Registered
77 Posts
During my final inspection earlier today the field service team found four issues:
  2. Subtle peeling of the protective material around the edge of a gear tunnel door
Anyone else experience this? My guide thought it was an issue stemming from the production line since it was painted over. How did this pass the inspection at the factory?

Now I can accept delivery with Rivian’s commitment to fix it “within two to four weeks”. A verbal only commitment of course. Or refuse delivery and also wait 2-4 weeks for a ‘fixed’ vehicle. What would you do?
View attachment 5167

I’m also seeing a lot of clear coat surface scratches on the hood from what appears to be a wax or buff job gone astray.

Congrats!

·
Registered
1 Posts

View attachment 5167

My Subaru has a dent like that from the seatbelt not fully retracting and the door being closed on it. Aka, that could have happen after production

·
Registered
797 Posts

View attachment 5167

That's a bummer that your R1T was delivered with these issues. If it were me I'd refuse delivery and have them fix it. That way there's some kind of documentation on their end that they didn't deliver the vehicle to you, rather than just a verbal agreement.

·
Registered
3 Posts

View attachment 5167

Considering my experience with Tesla. I would not accept it. Especially if getting a new one is the same time frame.

I think part of the problem Tesla is having with quality is because everyone keeps accepting the poor quality. Why should they fix the quality if everyone takes the cars with the defects.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Elcap, how many miles did it have? Could it have been used for First Mile events? I am suspicious of my delivery with 100 miles and low VIN. The "used" R1T for sale has a VIN newer than mine. I will be inspecting my delivery with a microscope!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a bummer that your R1T was delivered with these issues. If it were me I'd refuse delivery and have them fix it. That way there's some kind of documentation on their end that they didn't deliver the vehicle to you, rather than just a verbal agreement.
I should clarify. I have accepted delivery and signed a bill of sale noting the four specific issues and Rivian’s commitment to fix it. There is just nothing in writing about how fast they will fix it. And with quarter end now they are certainly deploying resources to get trucks in driveways vs fixing issues I have to believe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Considering my experience with Tesla. I would not accept it. Especially if getting a new one is the same time frame.

I think part of the problem Tesla is having with quality is because everyone keeps accepting the poor quality. Why should they fix the quality if everyone takes the cars with the defects.
You make a great point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My Subaru has a dent like that from the seatbelt not fully retracting and the door being closed on it. Aka, that could have happen after production
Interesting. It’s certainly possible it happened after but it’s painted over without any noticeable scratches above the dents. So that’s why I’m guessing it happened at the plant.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Given that you've accepted the truck (which I probably would have as well as the issues seem minor), I'd just relax and wait for them to do it. As an aside, are you sure you want them to fix the dents? I wonder if they'd be amenable to some sort of monetary solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts

View attachment 5167

I would refuse delivery and wait for a replacement. I had an issue like this with one of the Model X in 2016. Taking their word for it was a bad choice, as I then became just another person in a list.

·
Registered
4 Posts

View attachment 5167

I’d ask to knock a few k off and get paint correction/ceramic coating/ppf. I’d live with the dent.

mine also came with both gear tunnel plastic coverings on, but also peeling up on the corner edges - so I thought it was just something they forgot to pull off. Ended up pulling off one of them (you can’t help some people) and then they told me oh my god no that’s supposed to be on there. If so then it shouldn’t be peeling up on the edges. Hoping they can replace it, or both while they fix the current total failure.

·
Registered
45 Posts

View attachment 5167

Over the years I've taken delivery of cars with similar flaws. And each time I later regreted accepting the car and having it "corrected" at a dealership. Cosmetic issues like paint, dings, etc, never keep corrected at the point of delivery. This sort of stuff happens, but it's temporary.
I'm a new reservation holder so I know you've waited longer than me for your vehicle. But after waiting this long, another few weeks to have Rivian deliver a new and undamaged vehicle is worth the investment.
I'd have sent it back; you'll be happier in the long run.
I would have swallowed real hard, sent it back, and gone home for a stiff drink.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts