R1T Launch Edition | El Cap Granite
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing my wheels in about a month.

Anyone try these out yet?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Haven't tried them (Rivian doesn't want to give me my R1T, it seems)... But I'll be purchasing a set if Rivian ever changes their mind. After seeing that a normal jack requires removal of body trim pieces, I think having these pucks is a "must have" and I would even bring one with me if I was going to a non-Rivian service center, such as for tire replacement. I don't expect most shops to be familiar with the proper procedure or even to have the right tools, so supplying the puck seems prudent, imo.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Grind 'em to size?
I can only imagine how awful that would smell!

There's also the issue of the "peg" that slots into the frame. I suppose you could drill a hole and install a metal dowel, but then this is a lot of work for little gain. I think $50 for what appears to be a well-machined piece of billet is a fair price, and I'll just buy the product.

·
Registered
R1T Launch Edition | El Cap Granite
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grind 'em to size?
I was told by other buddy who owns an R1T that hockey puck won't work. They're not thick enough to clear the plastic, even if it was “ground down” diameter. And….no centering lug to keep the "puck" in place.

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
195 Posts
So if it requires these odd lift pads probably can’t use a hi-lift Jack…. Another bummer…
I could see some kind of adapter that goes on the bottom jaw of the jack or a specialized high lift jack that could key into the same area the pucks go into. Sure, might not be able to use a jack you already have, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Haven't tried them (Rivian doesn't want to give me my R1T, it seems)... But I'll be purchasing a set if Rivian ever changes their mind. After seeing that a normal jack requires removal of body trim pieces, I think having these pucks is a "must have" and I would even bring one with me if I was going to a non-Rivian service center, such as for tire replacement. I don't expect most shops to be familiar with the proper procedure or even to have the right tools, so supplying the puck seems prudent, imo.
I keep And have used a set of these for my Tesla. Piece of mind

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok, that seems like a non-trivial design flaw. It's night, it's raining, I'm on the side of the road, and in order to replace the tire without damaging my truck, I have to removed a body panel? Yech. And yes, I have had to do exactly this in the past. Worse, in my Mazda, I had to remove all my dive gear from the back to get at the spare.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Ok, that seems like a non-trivial design flaw. It's night, it's raining, I'm on the side of the road, and in order to replace the tire without damaging my truck, I have to removed a body panel? Yech. And yes, I have had to do exactly this in the past. Worse, in my Mazda, I had to remove all my dive gear from the back to get at the spare.
No, if you get the Rivian spare tire it includes jack+tools and that can be used without removing any body panels. You only have to remove the panels to use a non-Rivian jack or lift.

·
Registered
Launch Edition LG/FE
145 Posts
No, if you get the Rivian spare tire it includes jack+tools and that can be used without removing any body panels. You only have to remove the panels to use a non-Rivian jack or lift.
Really? I wasn't told the spare came with the jack and tools. Interesting. I added the spare tire, so I guess I will find out. Now just curious if it will be in the truck on Friday when it delivers. I've heard conflicting reports there. My guide said it would be, but ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts