Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
R1T Adv Lg Preorder, Forest Green/Ocean
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In his recent review of the R1T on Instagram, in the comments section Jason Cammisa confirms that heard from Rivian that CarPlay will be added. No mention of timing, or any caveats, but has anyone else received word on this from Rivian that goes beyond the usual "no plans at this time" line? Screenshot below.
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Software

·
Registered
504 Posts
This is one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" situations.

There is one particular high-tech car manufacturer CEO who likes to use one word tweets like "sure", "okay", "done", etc.. regarding future software feature requests. Sadly, probably 90% of the requested features never make it to production.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tsk tsk, Apple fanboys. How about Android Auto (which I don't much use)
That's what I wonder as well, since I'm an Android fan, and having used both, prefer its UI.
So who is Jason Cammisa and why would they confirm to him but no one else.

Big plus if Rivian includes CarPlay.
He's a Motortrend editor and automotive journalist, so the kind of person who'd be professionally damaged by lying. I'm guessing they confirmed to him because he's the latest to ask and this is a new turn of events? Not sure. Was hoping someone here would be more knowledgable and have some inside info.

·
Registered
481 Posts
so the kind of person who'd be professionally damaged by lying
Getting his information wrong isn't lying and if he were wrong it doesn't damage his reputation. Since it's unofficial and anonymous, anything could happen for it not to happen, stuff happens,

But it is good that he is involved in the auto media and likely has higher level sources that make it more probable which is a good thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Getting his information wrong isn't lying and if he were wrong it doesn't damage his reputation. Since it's unofficial and anonymous, anything could happen for it not to happen, stuff happens,

But it is good that he is involved in the auto media and likely has higher level sources that make it more probable which is a good thing.
Exactly. That's why I chose to share the information here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rivian’s perspective on this should be that Android Auto and CarPlay are just apps like Spotify is an app. Let people run those apps if they prefer them. And if the native apps are genuinely better, then people will use the better experience.
I think the play here is the Rivian subscription plan they're offering that they want everybody to sign up for. It's already said that plan at about $50/mo (maybe $75 once they start implementing it) will include full-time connectivity for the car among all its other things (some free charging, roadside, etc). They know if we have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, people will NOT sign up for the connection subscription and that is lost revenue. It's likely also why Tesla does it, it's guaranteed regular income to offset some of these connection costs that the cars need, anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Eyow...didn't see that anywhere. That's $1k a year. Even Tesla only charges $100 a year. So much for saving on maintenance.
I'm pretty sure nothing official has been said about the price, but my (admittedly terrible) memory wants to say the $50/mo rate was listed somewhere in their IPO documents as the target price.

This is the membership, so it comes with WAY more than what Tesla offers on their $100/yr plan as far as we can tell. But many of us have no use for free charging or rescue services for running out of juice when out on the trails. Hopefully they tier it somehow.

·
Registered
481 Posts
This is the membership, so it comes with WAY more than what Tesla offers on their $100/yr plan as far as we can tell. But many of us have no use for free charging or rescue services for running out of juice when out on the trails. Hopefully they tier it somehow.
Looks like it is optional and has no effect on car functionality.

Wonder what they do charge for connectivity for maps, streaming etc.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think the play here is the Rivian subscription plan they're offering that they want everybody to sign up for. It's already said that plan at about $50/mo (maybe $75 once they start implementing it) will include full-time connectivity for the car among all its other things (some free charging, roadside, etc). They know if we have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, people will NOT sign up for the connection subscription and that is lost revenue. It's likely also why Tesla does it, it's guaranteed regular income to offset some of these connection costs that the cars need, anyway.
Or they could look to include AC/AA/SXM integration bundled within their monthly subscription plan.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not that everyone will use every capability. Rivian states that the updates that come after the sale can bring up to possibly $10K per unit in its IPO. This may include fully autonomous driving ability, other software updates, subscriptions, etc. These prices we do not know about and could is undoubtedly a way they can increase their profit per unit. This, of course, is much different than a regular ICE car, but I wonder how much some Tesla owners have paid over five-plus years for software and enhanced capabilities? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I wonder how much some Tesla owners have paid over five-plus years for software and enhanced capabilities?
Zero. Only thing you pay for is the $10 a month for the connectivity for streaming. You can buy things. like faster acceleration or "Full Self Driving" (triple quotes needed) but for OTA updates including Nav updates, no charge.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not that everyone will use every capability. Rivian states that the updates that come after the sale can bring up to possibly $10K per unit in its IPO. This may include fully autonomous driving ability, other software updates, subscriptions, etc. These prices we do not know about and could is undoubtedly a way they can increase their profit per unit. This, of course, is much different than a regular ICE car, but I wonder how much some Tesla owners have paid over five-plus years for software and enhanced capabilities? Thanks so much.
I fully expect Rivian to partner with others beyond Snow Peak to make more purpose-built gear for the gear tunnel and shuttle. There could be new bed accessories too, like an OEM bed cap. Not all of the post-sales revenue will be software-based.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is anyone else concerned that they're shipping vehicles and there's zero disclosure of membership pricing from Rivian? I'd expect better communication and transparency from them.
I don’t know that I’m concerned, necessarily. My expectation is that it’ll be free for a minimum of a year, likely 2-3. I fully expect things like car hotspot and potentially other user-facing data hogs may be something we end up paying $10-40/mo for, depending on what they end up making as-a-service now or in the future.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.