Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, wanted to get others opinion on the acceleration/ deceleration sensitivity.

I have driven all variations of tesla including performance models and very experienced in 1 pedal driving.

The R1T seems jerky to me. Only my 3rd day so learning to adjust the pedal feel. Tried both standard and high regen. All purpose and sport.

The problem is if I hit a bump on the road it changes the pedal position and causes the regen to kick in immediately. So on local roads with bumps it get can get jerky.

What is everyone’s opinion on this?

Thanks!

· Registered
69 Posts
All, wanted to get others opinion on the acceleration/ deceleration sensitivity.

I have driven all variations of tesla including performance models and very experienced in 1 pedal driving.

The R1T seems jerky to me. Only my 3rd day so learning to adjust the pedal feel. Tried both standard and high regen. All purpose and sport.

The problem is if I hit a bump on the road it changes the pedal position and causes the regen to kick in immediately. So on local roads with bumps it get can get jerky.

Thanks!
Not my experience...although, I will say that after the latest OTA update, response does seem smoother. I actually appreciate that the power curve is a little tamped down vs other EVs I've driven...seems safer.

· Registered
1,127 Posts
I would agree with this 100% on crappy New England roadways.
Once you start getting bounced around in the cabin, it becomes much harder to keep the foot steady on the pedal...
I wonder if a SW upgrade would allow for less pedal sensitivity when the suspension is more active on bumpy road surfaces.

· Registered
31 Posts
I'd say in general it definitely feels like you need to be gentle with your throttle pedal movements in this truck, particularly starting off from the drive way and going out in reverse it seems you have to push relatively hard on the pedal to get going and then you somewhat shoot backwards. Also the one pedal driving took a bit of getting used to, particularly with regen being quite heavy and there not being an option to turn it off (like there was in my Taycan). Conserve mode is, understandably, even more aggressive per some other posts.

As I've done mostly highway driving, I haven't experienced the jerkiness on bumps much yet but I can imagine that would happen with the current sensitivity of the throttle. The one thing I will say about the smoothness of driving is that when I used the radar distance cruise control function while driving back from Houston I was impressed at how smoothly the truck followed and braked with the cars in front of me, even to a full stop. Our Cayenne which has the "innodrive" feature sometimes almost emergency brakes while following other vehicles that are slowing to a halt. There was however a moment when I was driving on auto cruise control in the Rivian that it appeared to keep accelerating towards the slowing car in front which made me manually hit the brakes. Not sure if I was just being paranoid and it would have slowed down eventually, but it scared me for a second.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@BlueHorizon where did you charge in Houston. I was looking at EVGO and EA but seemed like 150KW options limited inside the loop. I go back to Houston once every few months.

Today i switched back to standard regen instead of high. I think it helped but I had to really focus on not moving the pedal over bumps. I use sport mode now for the acceleration and low suspension setting.

· Registered
31 Posts
@robinxlee I didn’t have to charge in Houston as they had charged it to 85% when I took delivery. I did look to see if there were any chargers in between Austin and Houston along the major freeways but it seemed surprisingly sparse. The delivery center rep did say that a good place to stop by is at a Walmart (which I believe is EA charging).

On the topic of driving between Austin and other major metros, I did see this article that might be of interest: Texas plans to place charging stations for electric cars every 50 miles on most interstates

Glad to hear you switched to standard regen - definitely makes a difference. I hope they will at some point provide an alternative for light or no regen driving via a software update.

· Registered
3 Posts

Thanks!
I have experienced the same hesitation or jerkiness with mine during rapid acceleration in sport and conserve mode. The truck is now in time out at the Richmond Service center being diagnosed.

· Registered
7 Posts
Yes I have noticed it as well and have owned two Tesla's (and driven them all).

But my cousin did not notice it so I chaulked it up to the extra cushioning of the seat and my particular seating position, not really an issue with the truck.

· Registered
3 Posts
To be more more accurate. When accelerating with a steady press on the pedal the vehicle very briefly hesitates or misses a beat as it speeds up. I was able to recreate the issue with a focus on a steady push from my foot on the accelerator while I braced myself in the drivers seat.

· Registered
50 Posts
To be more more accurate. When accelerating with a steady press on the pedal the vehicle very briefly hesitates or misses a beat as it speeds up. I was able to recreate the issue with a focus on a steady push from my foot on the accelerator while I braced myself in the drivers seat.
I had this same issue this morning. Pulled into the parking lot at work, steady pressure on the pedal and it felt like I was pumping the accelerator and letting the regen kick in over and over. I stopped, went into sport and back into all purpose and it went away. I’m thinking it had something to do with the auto ride height adjustment as I was going from highway to parking lot.

· Registered
3 Posts
I had this same issue this morning. Pulled into the parking lot at work, steady pressure on the pedal and it felt like I was pumping the accelerator and letting the regen kick in over and over. I stopped, went into sport and back into all purpose and it went away. I’m thinking it had something to do with the auto ride height adjustment as I was going from highway to parking lot.
After having mine in for service that issue seemed to be resolved.

· Registered
15 Posts

Thanks!
Jerky in sport mode, not jerky in all purpose or conserve (we have lots of bumps here) and this lines up with their throttle mapping on each mode, the throttle is way more sensitive and regen is higher on sport so makes sense for it to be more jerky

· Registered
1,127 Posts
I think mine got better with recent SW updates, but haven't seen that in release notes. I would agree it seems better in All-purpose. I just drive around in All-purpose most of the time now, and haven't noticed the issue. Might be b/c I have settled on All-purpose for almost all of my driving, so likely have also self adjusted to that "mode".

· Registered
2 Posts
I just got to do my first drive today and immediately noticed the same problem. My wife is not the best driver and about gave me whiplash during her portion of our drive today. This problem is so pronounced I may choose to cancel my reservation. It seems that whenever you’re near a zero “power” on the pedal (between accelerating and regen) The truck has a hard time modulating and kind of toggles back-and-forth where the tesla can manage this transition very very smoothly.
Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Plant

· Registered
199 Posts
I have driven Tesla, EV6, XC recharge, R1T and like most EVs the accelerator is touchy because of the instant torque.

Neither my wife or I experience jerky acceleration for our R1T or our EV6.

· Registered
1,127 Posts
I find that All-Purpose mode is more optimized for most driving and reduces the accelerator sensitivity somewhat. Sport mode def feels more torquey. Over time, you get used to driving with less foot motion and learn to really like the torque. In fact, I HATE getting back into an ICE vehicle now. The R1T just get some gettin used to (in different drive modes / different settings). it would be hard to go back!

· Registered
37 Posts
What drive mode are you in?

SPORT MODE: absolutely agree it’s “jerky” but that’s by design I assume. To me, this mode makes torque and HP available quickly, and that with the “regen” as high as it is on R1T vs Tesla, it’s going to jerk.

ALL PURPOSE: middle ground, acceleration is there, but not as much ”jerk” when driving.

CONSERVE: No jerking with fluctuation in peddle pressure.

· Registered
2 Posts
What drive mode are you in?

SPORT MODE: absolutely agree it’s “jerky” but that’s by design I assume. To me, this mode makes torque and HP available quickly, and that with the “regen” as high as it is on R1T vs Tesla, it’s going to jerk.

ALL PURPOSE: middle ground, acceleration is there, but not as much ”jerk” when driving.

CONSERVE: No jerking with fluctuation in peddle pressure.
We didn’t have too much time to drive the vehicle during our test drive but my wife and I noticed it in every mood we tried mostly all purpose in a little sport.

I think a better way to describe the issue is it’s very difficult to maintain a steady speed smoothly without cruise control. A lot of other comments on this thread a test of the same issue where a little bit of input will switch from accelerating to region in the car will jerk and then you correct for that in the car will jerk again as it switches back to applying power. We’re also the example of your foot bouncing from a bump making the entire truck react.

My comparison is from our Tesla model 3 as our daily driver and the ability to modulate the speed of the vehicle is dramatically smoother than the Rivian in every mode.

If I were to put an accelerometer in the car you would measure almost zero jerk compared to the rivian.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts