Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, wanted to get others opinion on the acceleration/ deceleration sensitivity.

I have driven all variations of tesla including performance models and very experienced in 1 pedal driving.

The R1T seems jerky to me. Only my 3rd day so learning to adjust the pedal feel. Tried both standard and high regen. All purpose and sport.

The problem is if I hit a bump on the road it changes the pedal position and causes the regen to kick in immediately. So on local roads with bumps it get can get jerky.

What is everyone’s opinion on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
All, wanted to get others opinion on the acceleration/ deceleration sensitivity.

I have driven all variations of tesla including performance models and very experienced in 1 pedal driving.

The R1T seems jerky to me. Only my 3rd day so learning to adjust the pedal feel. Tried both standard and high regen. All purpose and sport.

The problem is if I hit a bump on the road it changes the pedal position and causes the regen to kick in immediately. So on local roads with bumps it get can get jerky.

What is everyone’s opinion on this?

Thanks!
Not my experience...although, I will say that after the latest OTA update, response does seem smoother. I actually appreciate that the power curve is a little tamped down vs other EVs I've driven...seems safer.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I would agree with this 100% on crappy New England roadways.
Once you start getting bounced around in the cabin, it becomes much harder to keep the foot steady on the pedal...
I wonder if a SW upgrade would allow for less pedal sensitivity when the suspension is more active on bumpy road surfaces.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd say in general it definitely feels like you need to be gentle with your throttle pedal movements in this truck, particularly starting off from the drive way and going out in reverse it seems you have to push relatively hard on the pedal to get going and then you somewhat shoot backwards. Also the one pedal driving took a bit of getting used to, particularly with regen being quite heavy and there not being an option to turn it off (like there was in my Taycan). Conserve mode is, understandably, even more aggressive per some other posts.

As I've done mostly highway driving, I haven't experienced the jerkiness on bumps much yet but I can imagine that would happen with the current sensitivity of the throttle. The one thing I will say about the smoothness of driving is that when I used the radar distance cruise control function while driving back from Houston I was impressed at how smoothly the truck followed and braked with the cars in front of me, even to a full stop. Our Cayenne which has the "innodrive" feature sometimes almost emergency brakes while following other vehicles that are slowing to a halt. There was however a moment when I was driving on auto cruise control in the Rivian that it appeared to keep accelerating towards the slowing car in front which made me manually hit the brakes. Not sure if I was just being paranoid and it would have slowed down eventually, but it scared me for a second.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@BlueHorizon where did you charge in Houston. I was looking at EVGO and EA but seemed like 150KW options limited inside the loop. I go back to Houston once every few months.

Today i switched back to standard regen instead of high. I think it helped but I had to really focus on not moving the pedal over bumps. I use sport mode now for the acceleration and low suspension setting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@robinxlee I didn’t have to charge in Houston as they had charged it to 85% when I took delivery. I did look to see if there were any chargers in between Austin and Houston along the major freeways but it seemed surprisingly sparse. The delivery center rep did say that a good place to stop by is at a Walmart (which I believe is EA charging).

On the topic of driving between Austin and other major metros, I did see this article that might be of interest: Texas plans to place charging stations for electric cars every 50 miles on most interstates

Glad to hear you switched to standard regen - definitely makes a difference. I hope they will at some point provide an alternative for light or no regen driving via a software update.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts