Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I discovered that my F150 battery was dead; it was original equipment and it was time for it to be replaced. However, when I first realized that my battery was dead, my instinct was to jump it. As I was working through the logistics of jumping the battery and replacing it, I began wondering if or how I would jump a dead battery from my R1T. Does anybody know if there are accessible positive and negative 12V terminals that could be used for jumping another battery?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm not sure how easily accessed it will be, but I believe Rivian will still be using a 12V battery, so jump starting another vehicle is theoretically possible. Although, some manufacturers now recommend not jump starting vehicles, due to the voltage sag that can occur.

It may be better to get one of those portable lithium jump packs and keep it in your ICE vehicles.

·
Registered
204 Posts
This is one of those things we do not know. My Bolt has a 12V AGM battery with 520CCA and the terminals are accessible. So the questions are:

Is there a 12V battery?
If yes, are the terminals easily accessible?
If yes, does it have enough cranking amps?

It there is no 12V battery, which seems unlikely, then a DC/DC converter from the high voltage battery would not likely have the cranking amp capacity to jump another vehicle.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This past weekend I discovered that my F150 battery was dead; it was original equipment and it was time for it to be replaced. However, when I first realized that my battery was dead, my instinct was to jump it. As I was working through the logistics of jumping the battery and replacing it, I began wondering if or how I would jump a dead battery from my R1T. Does anybody know if there are accessible positive and negative 12V terminals that could be used for jumping another battery?
I purchased a $40 USB backup battery that has what appear to be Fisher-Price charging cables that can be attached. When my car battery discharged overnight I attached the baby cables, hit the "Boost" button on the pocket-sized battery and my car started up on the 1st try. Moral of the story: if you can get it done for $40, don't overcomplicate things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
An F150 would take a lot of amps to start. If there is a 12 volt battery in the Rivian, it will just be sized to run the infotainment system. However, you could plug a battery charger into the 110v outlet in the bed of the Rivian and wait a few minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts