Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
85D, P100D, Camaro 2SS, Silverado SS, Jeep TJ
6 Posts
Yeah I would imagine so. Frankly my 03 Silverado SS towed better then my 2019 ram just because it was so much closer to the ground. Expecting the same from the rivan.

· Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
114 Posts
Well come on now, the RAM 1500 costs less than half of a Rivian R1T. At least compare the same money. Even a Limited Edition RAM 3500 is cheaper. And you can get the blue paint at no extra charge ;)

I'm glad to hear your Rivian is doing well as a heavy duty hauler. Do you have any idea how much weight your trailer was? I hope to tow a sailboat with mine someday. It'll be north of 8000 pounds likely, and potentially quite long - perhaps 35 feet. We'd also like to have a camper trailer for the Rocky Mountains.

· Registered
67 Posts
It'll be north of 8000 pounds likely, and potentially quite long - perhaps 35 feet. We'd also like to have a camper trailer for the Rocky Mountains.
R1T is rated for 11k lbs towing capacity. There are lots of YouTubers that have done range testing with heavy trailers. Consensus is aerodynamics are a bigger range factor than weight. Personally I really like the self leveling. I've hauled some large loads and you can barely tell its there.

· Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
114 Posts
R1T is rated for 11k lbs towing capacity. There are lots of YouTubers that have done range testing with heavy trailers. Consensus is aerodynamics are a bigger range factor than weight. Personally I really like the self leveling. I've hauled some large loads and you can barely tell its there.
Oh definitely aerodynamics is far more important than weight for long distance work, but just for short stuff I'm curious how the truck feels with heavy loads. I've towed with a variety of vehicles and some are awful towing over 75% of their rated capacity, and some are super smooth at 100% of their rated capacity. I kind of assume such a heavy tow vehicle and smooth power delivery would make it really nice.

· Registered
14 Posts
Saw 2 R1Ts this morning on way to work in Nashua, NH. Strange to see 2 of them within a minute of each other but more relevant to this post was the Black one had strobe light bar on windshield and was towing a trailer that looked like it was either in construction or landscaping. Possible a compressor to blow out sprinklers? Definitely a work truck! Hope to see more of them. Sadly, still waiting on mine.

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suspect that @rhumbliner doesn't give a damn about aerodynamics or range because his trips are short; just guessing
You are absolutely right. All of my work related stuff is within a 20-mile radius so the R1T is perfect for that type of range. However, towing my Airstream is a different matter. There the range hit and lack of a reliable charging network prevents me from doing any long distance travel. Some folks think I’m a little too timid but when I set my destination to a specific charger I want to be absolutely positive I can charge there. The Tesla network has spoiled me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts