Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure why I waited this long, but I just canceled my 2020 Cybertruck order. Maybe because the $100 deposit wasn’t a big motivation to do it sooner.

The cancelation confirmation has a silhouette of the Cybertruck, which totally solidified my decision. Only regret is that I didn’t know about Rivian back in 2020, and my R1T won’t be coming any time soon. January 2022 preorder date.

Sidenote: Tesla has to at some point notify preorder holders of a significant price increase, right? i Would think that will put a huge dent in those preorder numbers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
I'm also holding on to a CT pre-order, in my case a dual-motor with the FSD option. I have no idea if Tesla will honor the original pricing, but when I put the deposit down, the FSD was $7k. While I love the utility of a vehicle with a no-maintenance stainless steel exoskeleton, and appreciate the Tesla engineering of the dynamic system, the looks of the CT are atrocious.

Will be interesting to see which vehicle oskedelivers first. Rivian's delivery window for the R1T Max I presently have configured is first half of 2023. I think that's highly optimistic and the first half of 2024 is much more likely. I also think the chance of Tesla delivering the CT in 2023 as Elon claims will happen is also very low. Like I said, it will be interesting to see which one delivers first.
 

·
Registered
15 MS 70D, Chevy Bolt, Yamaha T700
Joined
·
21 Posts
I'm also holding on to a CT pre-order, in my case a dual-motor with the FSD option. I have no idea if Tesla will honor the original pricing, but when I put the deposit down, the FSD was $7k. While I love the utility of a vehicle with a no-maintenance stainless steel exoskeleton, and appreciate the Tesla engineering of the dynamic system, the looks of the CT are atrocious.

Will be interesting to see which vehicle oskedelivers first. Rivian's delivery window for the R1T Max I presently have configured is first half of 2023. I think that's highly optimistic and the first half of 2024 is much more likely. I also think the chance of Tesla delivering the CT in 2023 as Elon claims will happen is also very low. Like I said, it will be interesting to see which one delivers first.
I have both and am keeping both. I'm a January 2022 holder for R1S, would guess late 2023 delivery (don't even have a delivery window yet). CT reservation is Jun 21, delivery in 2025/2026? I do expect they will deliver some vehicles in 2023 and probably be ramped up in 2024. If Tesla honors the price of $50K (dual motor), not sure how I couldn't buy it? I put in the reservation because it is a very practical truck inspite of the looks (provided they deliver on range and other specs, which they have done with their other models). I'm not sure the used car market will stay as hot as it is now, but I think the EV used car market will continue due to supply constraints. As people get past the politics that were initially (and still are) associated with EVs and realize that they are superior vehicles for most people (not all people) the demand will continue to outpace supply. I'm not aware of any EV model that isn't in high demand (maybe the new Mazda EV?) and hard to come by even on the used market. If CT is delivered at 50K, even though I'm a late reservation holder I'm quite sure I'll be able to sell it for more than I paid - not sure they will honor the pricing, but kind of thinking that anyone who put in a reservation before they took down the pricing will get the original pricing. Somewhat like Rivian did without they raise and lower it part...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
. . . If CT is delivered at 50K, even though I'm a late reservation holder I'm quite sure I'll be able to sell it for more than I paid - not sure they will honor the pricing, but kind of thinking that anyone who put in a reservation before they took down the pricing will get the original pricing. Somewhat like Rivian did without they raise and lower it part...
I'm not sure when Tesla removed the pricing from the website, but it was posted and ~$50k for the dual-motor when I put my deposit down in Aug 2020. Elon doesn't seem to care what his customers think either of him or his companies (look at what they did with the Powerwall), and Tesla seems indifferent at best to repeat customers, so I don't really expect that they will follow Rivian's lead in pricing. Happy to be proved wrong and will keep the depost in place until there's some clarity. Agree with the comments regarding the EV market and depreciation risk.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
473 Posts
I'm also holding on to a CT pre-order, in my case a dual-motor with the FSD option. I have no idea if Tesla will honor the original pricing, but when I put the deposit down, the FSD was $7k. While I love the utility of a vehicle with a no-maintenance stainless steel exoskeleton, and appreciate the Tesla engineering of the dynamic system, the looks of the CT are atrocious.

Will be interesting to see which vehicle oskedelivers first. Rivian's delivery window for the R1T Max I presently have configured is first half of 2023. I think that's highly optimistic and the first half of 2024 is much more likely. I also think the chance of Tesla delivering the CT in 2023 as Elon claims will happen is also very low. Like I said, it will be interesting to see which one delivers first.
Skip the FSD. It’s a complete fraud and you will be happier in the end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I reserved an R1T Max pack in April, 2019, and reserved a Cybertruck in Dec., 2019. I will take delivery of both, and keep the one I favor. I was told to expect my R1T Max in "the first half of 2023". I have no idea about the Cybertruck delivery. Even though I reserved the Tesla 2.5 years ago, I may have to wait another few YEARS...!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
473 Posts
I reserved an R1T Max pack in April, 2019, and reserved a Cybertruck in Dec., 2019. I will take delivery of both, and keep the one I favor. I expect my R1T Max in "the first half of 2023". I have no idea about the Cybertruck delivery. Even though I reserved the Tesla 2.5 years ago, I may have to wait another few YEARS...!!!
Great idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
For the $100 I would’ve hung on to both. I holding on to a CT pre-order and 2 R1T pre-orders (with maxpack so maybe 2023 but probably 2024) and I’ll likely take which ever one delivers first.
I also have pre-orders for both -- 1 and 1 (R1T Max Pack, CT trimotor). I'll take whichever comes first (or 2nd-to-last).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
I reserved an R1T Max pack in April, 2019, and reserved a Cybertruck in Dec., 2019. I will take delivery of both, and keep the one I favor. I expect my R1T Max in "the first half of 2023". I have no idea about the Cybertruck delivery. Even though I reserved the Tesla 2.5 years ago, I may have to wait another few YEARS...!!!
Curious if you have a clue what the price will be? Has Tesla sent out any updates to reservation holders?

Looking at a base Model S at 105k and a base Model X at 121k, I can’t imagine this being under 130k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
I also have pre-orders for both -- 1 and 1 (R1T Max Pack, CT trimotor). I'll take whichever comes first (or 2nd-to-last).
Until very recently, I would have said that the R1T Max would absolutely beat the CT to driveways by many months, perhaps even a year or more. I'm no longer so sure.

I thought for sure that R1T Max deliveries would start to trickle out mid-next year, and slowly ramp to a few dozen each month by the end of the year. I now suspect that was overly optimistic, and now am guessing - which since Rivian has not given out any information, is all we can do - that 2024 is more likely.

Another thing I'm now unsure about is the configuration of the Max. Given the very slow progress of the larger battery pack relative to the quad-motor R1T, I would not be surprised if we learn in coming months that Rivian has now decided to offer it only on the dual-motor.

In addition to buying more time, that also solves some other problems for Rivian. A two-motor setup will be somewhat lighter than the quad, and could boost range to closer to 450 miles, or at least to something well over the 400+ Rivian now estimates for the Max. A dual-motor Max also potentially gets them off the hook of delivering what are at best loss leaders to pre-March reservation holders. Those who are grandfathered in can either switch to the dual-motor with the Max, or choose to have their deposit returned, similar to what Rivian did with Explore reservation holders.

The price for a dual-motor with a Max will certainly be more than the $81,500 those with existing reservations will pay. Since a dual-motor Max is a new model that was not configurable before March, there is no grandfathering. Max reservation holders either pay for the new model or cancel and get their $1,000 back ($900 for those of us with PBA's in place). Rivian wins either way.

Let me stress that I'm not saying this is going to happen, merely speculating that could. It would be really nice if we had some information on the Max from Rivian, but I suppose that's asking for too much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
Until very recently, I would have said that the R1T Max would absolutely beat the CT to driveways by many months, perhaps even a year or more. I'm no longer so sure.

I thought for sure that R1T Max deliveries would start to trickle out mid-next year, and slowly ramp to a few dozen each month by the end of the year. I now suspect that was overly optimistic, and now am guessing - which since Rivian has not given out any information, is all we can do - that 2024 is more likely.

Another thing I'm now unsure about is the configuration of the Max. Given the very slow progress of the larger battery pack relative to the quad-motor R1T, I would not be surprised if we learn in coming months that Rivian has now decided to offer it only on the dual-motor.

In addition to buying more time, that also solves some other problems for Rivian. A two-motor setup will be somewhat lighter than the quad, and could boost range to closer to 450 miles, or at least to something well over the 400+ Rivian now estimates for the Max. A dual-motor Max also potentially gets them off the hook of delivering what are at best loss leaders to pre-March reservation holders. Those who are grandfathered in can either switch to the dual-motor with the Max, or choose to have their deposit returned, similar to what Rivian did with Explore reservation holders.

The price for a dual-motor with a Max will certainly be more than the $81,500 those with existing reservations will pay. Since a dual-motor Max is a new model that was not configurable before March, there is no grandfathering. Max reservation holders either pay for the new model or cancel and get their $1,000 back ($900 for those of us with PBA's in place). Rivian wins either way.

Let me stress that I'm not saying this is going to happen, merely speculating that could. It would be really nice if we had some information on the Max from Rivian, but I suppose that's asking for too much.
The unknowns with the max is the primary reason I canceled my Rivian order. That said it is looking less and less likely that the CT will make it in its initial configuration/cost, it it ever does. If Rivian was $100 like my CT and Silverado reservations I would have kept it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
Everyone keeps making comparisons based on what Tesla said they would do, back in 2020. Namely, that CT would be half the cost (<$40k), almost twice the range (>500 miles), and would ship in 2021 before the R1T.

None of that is true. Well, perhaps maybe eventually the claimed range of the CT might be 500 on some configurations delivered at some point in the future. Actual range is another matter ...

I would say it's pure speculation at this time to assume the CT will have a range of 500 miles, and it's pure speculation to assume that the initially available CT configuration will be comparable to the Max Pack. And it's pure speculation to assume that the CT will ship in 2023. I'd also say that the CT that will ship is not really going to be a direct competitor for the R1T Max Pack because they are such different vehicles aimed at different markets. I personally cannot see choosing one or the other based on which one is available first, because they are such different vehicles and because I want the vehicle to fit my intended uses. If you're in the "range is king" crowd for whom the Rivian Large Pack is not sufficient, then it seems to me the choice would be whichever has the longest range, not whichever comes first. And we still don't know what the CT range will be; when we do perhaps that decision will be made for you.

We don't know when either the CT or the Max Pack will actually be available, but at least we know that the R1T does exist and (for pre-3/1 orders) what the Max Pack is going to cost when/if it's available, and at least we can have some confidence that the range of the Max Pack is going to be >=400 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
…which since Rivian has not given out any information, is all we can do - that 2024 is more likely.
Since I placed an early reservation for a Max Pack, my Guide called in June to let me know it was likely delayed until mid-2024 and if I didn’t want to wait I could get an R1T with a Large Pack in a month. I jumped on the Large Pack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Since I placed an early reservation for a Max Pack, my Guide called in June to let me know it was likely delayed until mid-2024 and if I didn’t want to wait I could get an R1T with a Large Pack in a month. I jumped on the Large Pack.
Interesting. My guide mentioned only that he thought that Rivian would be sending out new delivery windows in the fall, or maybe the winter, but had no info as to whether that meant earlier deliveries or further delays. I declined to take the Large pack; if the LR is the best I can ever hope for, I'd rather get the R1S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
Interesting. My guide mentioned only that he thought that Rivian would be sending out new delivery windows in the fall, or maybe the winter, but had no info as to whether that meant earlier deliveries or further delays. I declined to take the Large pack; if the LR is the best I can ever hope for, I'd rather get the R1S.
I agree if large is the biggest pack I’d take a R1S as well. If the max was available in the R1S I would have reserved it over the T in the first place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Curious if you have a clue what the price will be? Has Tesla sent out any updates to reservation holders?
Looking at a base Model S at 105k and a base Model X at 121k, I can’t imagine this being under 130k.
I have not heard anything from Tesla regarding the CyberTruck, in TWO Years...
My current quote on the R1T MAX is $88,500.
If the CyberTruck is more than $90,000, I may not take delivery...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
The email confirming receipt of my pre-order deposit is the only contact I've had with Tesla in the two years the reservation has been in place. I assumed that ignoring customers was Tesla's SOP, and it looks like that may be correct.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top