Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my R1T this week; three years, two months, and ten days after I placed my order. It was worth the wait.
For the record it is launch edition, launch green, with 21" All Terrains. Having read all I could read and watch all the video I could find, the R1T is better than advertised in my opinion. The tactile, hands on, drive it down the road experience is everything I anticipated and more. Here is a random list of things that catch my attention (bear in mind this is my first EV).
  1. The spare tire was delivered with the truck, but the cross bars, field kit, wrist band key, and floor mats are back ordered
  2. Issues so far have been: 1) the tonneau does not retract 100%, 2) the driver side gear tunnel door does not "pop" open like the passenger side does, 3) the wall charger is charging at 5 mph instead of the 25 mph noted on the gear website
  3. Customer service has politely and enthusiastically taken note of my issues and will get back to me ASAP with fixes
  4. Being in Texas, I am required to carry a front license plate. While I really do not want to punch holes in the bumper cover, I see no other alternative (I tried everything). So, the service center will punch the holes for me
  5. The center display is very intuitive, I like the fact that the controls are, for the most part, all in one display
  6. Standard ride height is a little higher than I expected, but works well getting in and out of the vehicle
  7. Neither the bed (with the tonneau closed) nor the trunk will accommodate my electric cooler - we have ordered a unit that should fit both
  8. The app communicates well with the truck and our phones are super convenient keys.
  9. I office very close to the truck, and carry my key card with me at all times in my billfold. Consequently the truck is constantly turning on and then chirping off as I move around my office
  10. I find the cab to be short of storage for little things that normally fit in the console, so I am buying an organizer bag to throw the little things in, and will stow the bag in the console
  11. Haven't totally launched it yet, but I have punched it enough to be cautious about launching it in the future
  12. The cab is plenty big for me (6')
  13. My wife loves it and is planning to commandeer it soon
Hope this gives expectant pre order holders a little insight!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ha. All good observations, and similar to mine. I'm about 10 days in.

I have definitely noticed quirks on the lock / un-lock that are starting to get annoying.
that "proximity" lock/unlock is definitely annoying - if i'm working in the yard or garage it triggers off/on all day.

When i exit the vehicle, only the drivers side is unlocking. When i went golfing the other day, the tunnel is locked. (so is the tailgate, so is the back seat)
But i think when the passenger side unlocks maybe it opens all of them? not sure yet, but it seems annoying.
my wife is annoyed that the passenger handle has to be pulled twice - once to unlock and then again to open the door.

also - the "security" screen is popping up now every time i access the car....and its just been pictures of me. if it senses the phone within 60 seconds of an event, then it isnt really an event to capture.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just received my R1T this week; three years, two months, and ten days after I placed my order. It was worth the wait.
For the record it is launch edition, launch green, with 21" All Terrains. Having read all I could read and watch all the video I could find, the R1T is better than advertised in my opinion. The tactile, hands on, drive it down the road experience is everything I anticipated and more. Here is a random list of things that catch my attention (bear in mind this is my first EV).
  1. The spare tire was delivered with the truck, but the cross bars, field kit, wrist band key, and floor mats are back ordered
  2. Issues so far have been: 1) the tonneau does not retract 100%, 2) the driver side gear tunnel door does not "pop" open like the passenger side does, 3) the wall charger is charging at 5 mph instead of the 25 mph noted on the gear website
  3. Customer service has politely and enthusiastically taken note of my issues and will get back to me ASAP with fixes
  4. Being in Texas, I am required to carry a front license plate. While I really do not want to punch holes in the bumper cover, I see no other alternative (I tried everything). So, the service center will punch the holes for me
  5. The center display is very intuitive, I like the fact that the controls are, for the most part, all in one display
  6. Standard ride height is a little higher than I expected, but works well getting in and out of the vehicle
  7. Neither the bed (with the tonneau closed) nor the trunk will accommodate my electric cooler - we have ordered a unit that should fit both
  8. The app communicates well with the truck and our phones are super convenient keys.
  9. I office very close to the truck, and carry my key card with me at all times in my billfold. Consequently the truck is constantly turning on and then chirping off as I move around my office
  10. I find the cab to be short of storage for little things that normally fit in the console, so I am buying an organizer bag to throw the little things in, and will stow the bag in the console
  11. Haven't totally launched it yet, but I have punched it enough to be cautious about launching it in the future
  12. The cab is plenty big for me (6')
  13. My wife loves it and is planning to commandeer it soon
Hope this gives expectant pre order holders a little insight!
There's an entire thread on the front LP issue, including some potential options that don't involve punching the bumper. But I think I'm just gonna have them punch it; it's not like I'm probably gonna move out of state anytime soon and wouldn't need it. :)

I agree with you on the "little things" storage...unless you wanna constantly be dropping things in that little compartment that pulls out from the front seats. It'll be hard to actually see what you might be looking for there though.

A word about Service - they've been incredibly receptive and friendly, but not overly efficient. I got a call this past week (from Texas based techs) saying they were headed out to work on the truck; about 15 minutes later, I got a call from "Service" (presumably in Illinois) that they were still working on getting service scheduled. They knew nothing about the fact that someone was already on the way out; they could find no record of anyone being on the way out so I gave them the number of the techs that called. A short time later, Service called back and told me what the techs were going to be doing when they got here...and that there was obviously a disconnect. Later in the week, Service called again asking me if I could potentially take the vehicle to Houston (or they would come get it) when I pointed out that some of the items they were planning to fix had already been done right in my driveway. We're still working on at least one final issue...but I have no idea when that will be addressed. Or where. Or by whom. So stay on top of them! :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ha. All good observations, and similar to mine. I'm about 10 days in.

I have definitely noticed quirks on the lock / un-lock that are starting to get annoying.
that "proximity" lock/unlock is definitely annoying - if i'm working in the yard or garage it triggers off/on all day.

When i exit the vehicle, only the drivers side is unlocking. When i went golfing the other day, the tunnel is locked. (so is the tailgate, so is the back seat)
But i think when the passenger side unlocks maybe it opens all of them? not sure yet, but it seems annoying.
my wife is annoyed that the passenger handle has to be pulled twice - once to unlock and then again to open the door.

also - the "security" screen is popping up now every time i access the car....and its just been pictures of me. if it senses the phone within 60 seconds of an event, then it isnt really an event to capture.
There's a setting to control if only the driver door or all doors are unlocked at "Park"; there's also a setting for which door or doors get unlocked when approaching the truck after it's been off. I haven't confirmed this, but I think if only the driver door is set to unlock when approaching, the GT doors and bed all remain locked as well; that might not be the case if all the passenger doors are set to unlock upon approach, but again, I haven't confirmed that.

The double door pull to lock and then to open can be overcome by hitting the door unlock button on the center screen; otherwise that double pull to open is pretty common in vehicles I think, probably for safety reasons.

I was getting the security screen pop up every time I got back in the vehicle even if there was nothing to show. To get around that, in Settings, I set the Gear Guard to only activate when I'm not at home. This eliminated that problem.

I agree with you about the proximity issue being an annoyance turning on the vehicle though - I am constantly ditching my phone when I go out to the garage just to avoid activating the truck! The latest software update though seems to have really reduced the proximity distance to the point of it almost not really working; I often walk up to the vehicle now and it does nothing...unless I open the app which causes the vehicle to wake up. Before the update, the proximity sensitivity was much better...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Congrats! I've never had a front license plate in TX and never had issues. Not sure where you're at. I still plan to get a "stick on" plate once I get my R1S. Enjoy the truck!

·
Registered
405 Posts
3) the wall charger is charging at 5 mph instead of the 25 mph noted on the gear website
That sounds like your wall charger was installed wrong. There is no reason it should be delivering less than the full 48 amps if it was wired up correctly. There are DIP switches on the inside to limit the charge current - those should have been set to 48 amps by default but that should have been verified as part of the installation process.

·
Registered
395 Posts
That sounds like your wall charger was installed wrong. There is no reason it should be delivering less than the full 48 amps if it was wired up correctly. There are DIP switches on the inside to limit the charge current - those should have been set to 48 amps by default but that should have been verified as part of the installation process.
That depends on the circuit it was installed on. If it was done by an electrician have them come back out and verify the installation.

To get the 48 amp, it would need to be on a 60 amp circuit. If it was installed on an existing circuit rated much lower than that you would not want to change the settings.

·
Registered
405 Posts
That depends on the circuit it was installed on. If it was done by an electrician have them come back out and verify the installation.
Well sure, but he said it was charging at "5 miles an hour" and he EXPECTED 25 miles an hour. That "expected" number corresponds to the full 11.5kW / 48 amp / 60A circuit breaker configuration that the Rivian wall charger is designed for.

If you're only getting 5 miles of range per hour and you EXPECT 25, then something is seriously wrong. Like the DIP switches are set wrong - which is what I suggested.

5 miles an hour of range is Level 1 speed. Since the Rivian wall charger is a 240V charger, it only takes 10 amps to give you that 5 miles an hour. NO ONE installs a 240V, 10A circuit. If you have this little power available on your panel, you don't need a wall charger - the portable charger that comes with the Rivian will give you almost that much.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Well sure, but he said it was charging at "5 miles an hour" and he EXPECTED 25 miles an hour. That "expected" number corresponds to the full 11.5kW / 48 amp / 60A circuit breaker configuration that the Rivian wall charger is designed for.

If you're only getting 5 miles of range per hour and you EXPECT 25, then something is seriously wrong. Like the DIP switches are set wrong - which is what I suggested.

5 miles an hour of range is Level 1 speed. Since the Rivian wall charger is a 240V charger, it only takes 10 amps to give you that 5 miles an hour. NO ONE installs a 240V, 10A circuit. If you have this little power available on your panel, you don't need a wall charger - the portable charger that comes with the Rivian will give you almost that much.
I agree with you there could be an issue with the charger or the install. I only responded so people are aware of the circuit limitations. Many people are not as familiar with EV charging and the circuits they use or the 80% of max for EV charging. I try to make sure that is covered in the charging discussions to ensure people are aware of limitations and are safe.

I’ve seen people trying to pull 40 amps on a NEMA 14/50 set on a 40 amp circuit because the charger was capable of 40 amps. Best case scenario the breaker will trip worse case they burn the house down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 200a subpanel is new and installed specifically to provide easy wiring to the charger. However, looks like the breaker that was installed is 50 amp. I will have the electrician come back with a 60 amp breaker and check the dip switch settings. I assume that will remedy the situation, thanks for the input.

@eHauler, I don't see any issues with fit and finish. Gaps and paint all look good. The more I drive it the better I like everything about it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The 200a subpanel is new and installed specifically to provide easy wiring to the charger. However, looks like the breaker that was installed is 50 amp. I will have the electrician come back with a 60 amp breaker and check the dip switch settings. I assume that will remedy the situation, thanks for the input.

@eHauler, I don't see any issues with fit and finish. Gaps and paint all look good. The more I drive it the better I like everything about it.
You could take the cover off and look at the dip switches. 5 mph sounds like a 10 or 11 amp draw, looking at the manual, the 12 amp setting is just opposite of the 40 amp setting.

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, sir. I did pull the cover and confirm that the dip switches are set as prescribed. So far what I know is that I have a 50A breaker, #8 wire, correct dip switch settings, and 14 amps of current (instead of 40) coming to my truck. I have a call into the electrician for a trouble shoot session. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes, sir. I did pull the cover and confirm that the dip switches are set as prescribed. So far what I know is that I have a 50A breaker, #8 wire, correct dip switch settings, and 14 amps of current (instead of 40) coming to my truck. I have a call into the electrician for a trouble shoot session. Stay tuned...
Is your EVSE direct wired or plug in? From what I've read and been told, if you have plug in and you want to go to a 60a breaker, the EVSE will have to be direct wired. Max amps/circuit for plug in is 50. You may already know this so I'm just putting this out there for others.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.

California requires a front plate too. I live dangerously without it. Generally something they'll only hassle you about if you get pulled over for another reason. Even then, it's just a fix-it ticket. Your call if you want to install it.

Would recommend just using some 3M double-sided tape, instead of putting permanent holes in the front end. That stuff sticks extremely well, but can be removed if so desired at a later date.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is your EVSE direct wired or plug in? From what I've read and been told, if you have plug in and you want to go to a 60a breaker, the EVSE will have to be direct wired. Max amps/circuit for plug in is 50. You may already know this so I'm just putting this out there for others.
This unit is direct wired. Going to be interesting to see if it is charger wiring, charger defect, charger setting, or truck issue...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts