Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This unit is direct wired. Going to be interesting to see if it is charger wiring, charger defect, charger setting, or truck issue...
Congrats on the purchase.

California requires a front plate too. I live dangerously without it. Generally something they'll only hassle you about if you get pulled over for another reason. Even then, it's just a fix-it ticket. Your call if you want to install it.

Would recommend just using some 3M double-sided tape, instead of putting permanent holes in the front end. That stuff sticks extremely well, but can be removed if so desired at a later date.
I am going to try this unit (as recommended by @omamatt): SnapPlate 2021-2022 Rivian R1T & R1S Removable License Plate Mount . Not cheap, but should do the trick.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You can try a Level 2 public charger to see if you get more than 5 miles in an hour. That will tell you if the problem is with your charger or with the truck/software.
That is a great suggestion. There is a free Level 2 here in town that is convenient. I will take it there tomorrow to test the charging rate. Thanks!

·
Registered
286 Posts
That is a great suggestion. There is a free Level 2 here in town that is convenient. I will take it there tomorrow to test the charging rate. Thanks!
I actually meant to reply to that part of your post too. Sounds like maybe it could be the outlet you're plugging into? Are you plugging into a NEMA 14/50 plug or just a regular 110 outlet? That would explain the variance.

The public charger would also be a way of determining if there's an issue with the vehicle. But, if you're using a standard outlet, then you can save the same as that would be your issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, sir. I did pull the cover and confirm that the dip switches are set as prescribed. So far what I know is that I have a 50A breaker, #8 wire, correct dip switch settings, and 14 amps of current (instead of 40) coming to my truck. I have a call into the electrician for a trouble shoot session. Stay tuned...
Can you take to another charger like electrified american and see what you're pulling.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I actually meant to reply to that part of your post too. Sounds like maybe it could be the outlet you're plugging into? Are you plugging into a NEMA 14/50 plug or just a regular 110 outlet? That would explain the variance.

The public charger would also be a way of determining if there's an issue with the vehicle. But, if you're using a standard outlet, then you can save the same as that would be your issue.
We are hard wired to or new 200A panel / 50A breaker. Wimberley is a pretty small town (2500 pop), I need to search out an accessible public charger. May need to travel down the road to find one.

·
Registered
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure, El Cap, Blk Mtn, 22” Sport, Delivered 4/2/22
12 Posts
Yes, if / when we upgrade the breaker from 50A to 60A, we will upgrade the wire size to #6...
Need to factor in distance too. #6 I believe is min if distance is less than X (I’m not an electrician so don’t know the distance).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
There is another oddity I noticed last night... While charging (on my home charger), the charging indicator light on the front of the truck will change erratically from white, to green, to none. When in "green" mode, the app indicates about 12 additional hours to the charging, and the cooling fans kick in on high. This tells me the issue lies with the truck software. Electrician is coming by shortly to confirm input to and output from the charger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had mine 2 1.2 weeks now. Though, the second week it was at the service center as the left front axle mount broke. I love everything about its build and handling. I do find the technology lacking a bit. The App really does little other then locations and range. It should be able to monitor the cameras in the Gear Guard mode. Also , I'm not sure it even notifies you if the vehicle is broken in to, It would also be nice if you could configure the drivers screen to display what you wanted (like the Range Rover). Also, no garage door opener, no glove compartment and no Sirius Radio. I have had the same issues with the proximity locking. It seems to work about 75% of the time. The main screen is not terribly intuitive so it takes some searching......but..... overall I love the vehicle.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Update: All is now well with the charger! Electrician came by and informed me that his guys failed to reset the dip switches from default 15A to 50A. Under the heading of "DUH", I had looked at the dip switches but apparently misread their position. If you look in the manual, 15A is off / off / on. 50A is on / on / off. I might need brighter lights in my garage.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Update: All is now well with the charger! Electrician came by and informed me that his guys failed to reset the dip switches from default 15A to 50A. Under the heading of "DUH", I had looked at the dip switches but apparently misread their position. If you look in the manual, 15A is off / off / on. 50A is on / on / off. I might need brighter lights in my garage.
Glad to see that it was an easy solution!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I have had mine 2 1.2 weeks now. Though, the second week it was at the service center as the left front axle mount broke. I love everything about its build and handling. I do find the technology lacking a bit. The App really does little other then locations and range. It should be able to monitor the cameras in the Gear Guard mode. Also , I'm not sure it even notifies you if the vehicle is broken in to, It would also be nice if you could configure the drivers screen to display what you wanted (like the Range Rover). Also, no garage door opener, no glove compartment and no Sirius Radio. I have had the same issues with the proximity locking. It seems to work about 75% of the time. The main screen is not terribly intuitive so it takes some searching......but..... overall I love the vehicle.
Welcome @Tom2421! How did the axle mount break on your R1T? How long was it at the service center before it was fixed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure why it happened. I was driving and heard loud thumping from left front and grating of metal . Truck still drove though got a warning to drive slow. Took it home and called service. They sent a truck to pick it up (7 hours away) the next day. Had it 5 days and brought it back. All seems fine now. They couldn't say why it happened. They said to be safe they replaced the mount, the axle and the motor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just received my R1T this week; three years, two months, and ten days after I placed my order. It was worth the wait.
For the record it is launch edition, launch green, with 21" All Terrains. Having read all I could read and watch all the video I could find, the R1T is better than advertised in my opinion. The tactile, hands on, drive it down the road experience is everything I anticipated and more. Here is a random list of things that catch my attention (bear in mind this is my first EV).
  1. The spare tire was delivered with the truck, but the cross bars, field kit, wrist band key, and floor mats are back ordered
  2. Issues so far have been: 1) the tonneau does not retract 100%, 2) the driver side gear tunnel door does not "pop" open like the passenger side does, 3) the wall charger is charging at 5 mph instead of the 25 mph noted on the gear website
  3. Customer service has politely and enthusiastically taken note of my issues and will get back to me ASAP with fixes
  4. Being in Texas, I am required to carry a front license plate. While I really do not want to punch holes in the bumper cover, I see no other alternative (I tried everything). So, the service center will punch the holes for me
  5. The center display is very intuitive, I like the fact that the controls are, for the most part, all in one display
  6. Standard ride height is a little higher than I expected, but works well getting in and out of the vehicle
  7. Neither the bed (with the tonneau closed) nor the trunk will accommodate my electric cooler - we have ordered a unit that should fit both
  8. The app communicates well with the truck and our phones are super convenient keys.
  9. I office very close to the truck, and carry my key card with me at all times in my billfold. Consequently the truck is constantly turning on and then chirping off as I move around my office
  10. I find the cab to be short of storage for little things that normally fit in the console, so I am buying an organizer bag to throw the little things in, and will stow the bag in the console
  11. Haven't totally launched it yet, but I have punched it enough to be cautious about launching it in the future
  12. The cab is plenty big for me (6')
  13. My wife loves it and is planning to commandeer it soon
Hope this gives expectant pre order holders a little insight!
License plate. On my BMW in Washington I kept getting pulled over for no front plate. Finally I took my plate into a Fast Signs. (Sign company I assume is in texas also). They photographed my plate and made a scale sticker I put on the car. Never had issue after that. I never drilled the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just received my R1T this week; three years, two months, and ten days after I placed my order. It was worth the wait.
For the record it is launch edition, launch green, with 21" All Terrains. Having read all I could read and watch all the video I could find, the R1T is better than advertised in my opinion. The tactile, hands on, drive it down the road experience is everything I anticipated and more. Here is a random list of things that catch my attention (bear in mind this is my first EV).
  1. The spare tire was delivered with the truck, but the cross bars, field kit, wrist band key, and floor mats are back ordered
  2. Issues so far have been: 1) the tonneau does not retract 100%, 2) the driver side gear tunnel door does not "pop" open like the passenger side does, 3) the wall charger is charging at 5 mph instead of the 25 mph noted on the gear website
  3. Customer service has politely and enthusiastically taken note of my issues and will get back to me ASAP with fixes
  4. Being in Texas, I am required to carry a front license plate. While I really do not want to punch holes in the bumper cover, I see no other alternative (I tried everything). So, the service center will punch the holes for me
  5. The center display is very intuitive, I like the fact that the controls are, for the most part, all in one display
  6. Standard ride height is a little higher than I expected, but works well getting in and out of the vehicle
  7. Neither the bed (with the tonneau closed) nor the trunk will accommodate my electric cooler - we have ordered a unit that should fit both
  8. The app communicates well with the truck and our phones are super convenient keys.
  9. I office very close to the truck, and carry my key card with me at all times in my billfold. Consequently the truck is constantly turning on and then chirping off as I move around my office
  10. I find the cab to be short of storage for little things that normally fit in the console, so I am buying an organizer bag to throw the little things in, and will stow the bag in the console
  11. Haven't totally launched it yet, but I have punched it enough to be cautious about launching it in the future
I realize I am playing with fire but my MME also did not have a front license plate bracket. We live in TX too. So far, I have refused to put it on and just carry that license plate with me in my trunk. It has been almost one year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have definitely noticed quirks on the lock / un-lock that are starting to get annoying.
that "proximity" lock/unlock is definitely annoying - if i'm working in the yard or garage it triggers off/on all day.
I haven't seen this anywhere, but are you able to tell the truck which keys you want to use and turn others "off"? Maybe I won't use phone, just bracelet/fob for example.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats!!!! Good luck with the wife might need to order another one s00n!🤣

21 - 40 of 64 Posts