Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I haven't seen this anywhere, but are you able to tell the truck which keys you want to use and turn others "off"? Maybe I won't use phone, just bracelet/fob for example.
I have not tried to turn off any of the keys. The manual defines which keys are active and which are passive. My solution is to carry the fob, and turn the app off. I will experiment further when my wrist band key arrives.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Congrats!!!! Good luck with the wife might need to order another one s00n!🤣
That may actually happen. She drives her real estate clients around on hot days on some pretty ragged ranch roads. Our little ICECO cooler plugs in and fits in the trunk to provide her clients cold water, and she can put the truck in off road mode and drive those roads with abandon. I suspect she would opt for the R1S.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
603 Posts
I realize I am playing with fire but my MME also did not have a front license plate bracket. We live in TX too. So far, I have refused to put it on and just carry that license plate with me in my trunk. It has been almost one year.
When I lived in NC, they did not issue front tags. I’ve now lived in UT with UT plates for 5 years and have not installed front plates because my Tesla was not setup for it and my 4Runner has an aftermarket winch bumper that’s also not setup for it. I’ve never had an issue, even the one time I was pulled for speeding. YMMV.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.

California requires a front plate too. I live dangerously without it. Generally something they'll only hassle you about if you get pulled over for another reason. Even then, it's just a fix-it ticket. Your call if you want to install it.

Would recommend just using some 3M double-sided tape, instead of putting permanent holes in the front end. That stuff sticks extremely well, but can be removed if so desired at a later date.
Use this stuff: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/dual-lock-reclosable-fasteners-us/
If you're going to go with double stick. It is what EZ pass toll transponders are held on with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's a setting to control if only the driver door or all doors are unlocked at "Park"; there's also a setting for which door or doors get unlocked when approaching the truck after it's been off. I haven't confirmed this, but I think if only the driver door is set to unlock when approaching, the GT doors and bed all remain locked as well; that might not be the case if all the passenger doors are set to unlock upon approach, but again, I haven't confirmed that.

The double door pull to lock and then to open can be overcome by hitting the door unlock button on the center screen; otherwise that double pull to open is pretty common in vehicles I think, probably for safety reasons.

I was getting the security screen pop up every time I got back in the vehicle even if there was nothing to show. To get around that, in Settings, I set the Gear Guard to only activate when I'm not at home. This eliminated that problem.

I agree with you about the proximity issue being an annoyance turning on the vehicle though - I am constantly ditching my phone when I go out to the garage just to avoid activating the truck! The latest software update though seems to have really reduced the proximity distance to the point of it almost not really working; I often walk up to the vehicle now and it does nothing...unless I open the app which causes the vehicle to wake up. Before the update, the proximity sensitivity was much better...
I turn off bluetooth in phone when at home to avoid unlock due to proximity. Keep in mind that every time it unlocks, it wakes up vehicle that consumes battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just received my R1T this week; three years, two months, and ten days after I placed my order. It was worth the wait.
For the record it is launch edition, launch green, with 21" All Terrains. Having read all I could read and watch all the video I could find, the R1T is better than advertised in my opinion. The tactile, hands on, drive it down the road experience is everything I anticipated and more. Here is a random list of things that catch my attention (bear in mind this is my first EV).
  1. The spare tire was delivered with the truck, but the cross bars, field kit, wrist band key, and floor mats are back ordered
  2. Issues so far have been: 1) the tonneau does not retract 100%, 2) the driver side gear tunnel door does not "pop" open like the passenger side does, 3) the wall charger is charging at 5 mph instead of the 25 mph noted on the gear website
  3. Customer service has politely and enthusiastically taken note of my issues and will get back to me ASAP with fixes
  4. Being in Texas, I am required to carry a front license plate. While I really do not want to punch holes in the bumper cover, I see no other alternative (I tried everything). So, the service center will punch the holes for me
  5. The center display is very intuitive, I like the fact that the controls are, for the most part, all in one display
  6. Standard ride height is a little higher than I expected, but works well getting in and out of the vehicle
  7. Neither the bed (with the tonneau closed) nor the trunk will accommodate my electric cooler - we have ordered a unit that should fit both
  8. The app communicates well with the truck and our phones are super convenient keys.
  9. I office very close to the truck, and carry my key card with me at all times in my billfold. Consequently the truck is constantly turning on and then chirping off as I move around my office
  10. I find the cab to be short of storage for little things that normally fit in the console, so I am buying an organizer bag to throw the little things in, and will stow the bag in the console
  11. Haven't totally launched it yet, but I have punched it enough to be cautious about launching it in the future
  12. The cab is plenty big for me (6')
  13. My wife loves it and is planning to commandeer it soon
Hope this gives expectant pre order holders a little insight!
You need a level 2 charger with 48amp 240 wall outlet to get the charging speed you quoted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That may actually happen. She drives her real estate clients around on hot days on some pretty ragged ranch roads. Our little ICECO cooler plugs in and fits in the trunk to provide her clients cold water, and she can put the truck in off road mode and drive those roads with abandon. I suspect she would opt for the R1S.
My R1S "should" get delivered sometime in the next couple of weeks. I'm in Buda, message me if you want to meet up somewhere in the area (Wimberley, Kyle, San Marcos, etc.). I might even have my solution for chilled beverages installed.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just received my R1T this week; three years, two months, and ten days after I placed my order. It was worth the wait.
For the record it is launch edition, launch green, with 21" All Terrains. Having read all I could read and watch all the video I could find, the R1T is better than advertised in my opinion. The tactile, hands on, drive it down the road experience is everything I anticipated and more. Here is a random list of things that catch my attention (bear in mind this is my first EV).
  1. The spare tire was delivered with the truck, but the cross bars, field kit, wrist band key, and floor mats are back ordered
  2. Issues so far have been: 1) the tonneau does not retract 100%, 2) the driver side gear tunnel door does not "pop" open like the passenger side does, 3) the wall charger is charging at 5 mph instead of the 25 mph noted on the gear website
  3. Customer service has politely and enthusiastically taken note of my issues and will get back to me ASAP with fixes
  4. Being in Texas, I am required to carry a front license plate. While I really do not want to punch holes in the bumper cover, I see no other alternative (I tried everything). So, the service center will punch the holes for me
  5. The center display is very intuitive, I like the fact that the controls are, for the most part, all in one display
  6. Standard ride height is a little higher than I expected, but works well getting in and out of the vehicle
  7. Neither the bed (with the tonneau closed) nor the trunk will accommodate my electric cooler - we have ordered a unit that should fit both
  8. The app communicates well with the truck and our phones are super convenient keys.
  9. I office very close to the truck, and carry my key card with me at all times in my billfold. Consequently the truck is constantly turning on and then chirping off as I move around my office
  10. I find the cab to be short of storage for little things that normally fit in the console, so I am buying an organizer bag to throw the little things in, and will stow the bag in the console
  11. Haven't totally launched it yet, but I have punched it enough to be cautious about launching it in the future
Hey Winberley51! I’m right around the corner in Dripping Springs. Any chance you are going anywhere in your truck anytime soon? 🤣 I’d gladly meet you anywhere you like to finally get to see the truck in person. My first guide call is tomorrow, 4/28. Been waiting 1,152 days since initial order. I thought I would have seen one on the road by now but no such luck, I will gladly buy you a few beers at the brewery of your choice around town for your trouble. Twisted X, Community, Etc.

Currently, I’m team EL Cap w/ Forest Edge, but it shifts back to Glacier White every 10-12 hours. 🤣 idk what I’m going to tell the guide in the morning! 🤦

·
Registered
9 Posts
solution to issue 4
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regarding the front license plate issue, I had the same issue with my Tesla in Colorado. Instead of punching holes I bought an adapter online to mount it. Some stick to the bumper others get mounted from below the vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
have looked at snapplate - everyamp.com. theres a listing for front plate holder for rivian for $110. Im still looking for other options I'm in IL. we also need to show front plates as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Received my Snap Plate yesterday. Will install when my plates arrive.
Slick design, looks like it will work well. Also easily removable.
I am happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
As fate would have it, I have not received my plates yet! Per Rivian, they have not sent my paperwork to the State (Texas). Per the State website, they have no record of my VIN. My temp plates expire on July 15. I have alerted my guide but have not received any confirmation that the State has been updated. I suspect I will be driving with expired plates in a few weeks.
But back to your question. I did test fit the Snap Plate frame to my truck. Very slick cam lock design. Contoured to match the bumper profile, very secure.
I have no doubts the Snap Plate is the right solution for the R1T.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts