Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking on this site for quite a while. I have a pre-order from November 2018. I initially was going with the least expensive truck until this year I opted for an adventure package after receiving emails that changing the configuration would result in an earlier delivery.

My original configuration was granite with the manual tonneau cover and cargo racks.

I had a test drive back in November 2021 where they brought the vehicle to the house.

I responded back to the email they sent me back in November on Memorial Day asking about status and that I was flexible with colors and options. Last week I received an email hooking me up with a guide, spoke to the guy on Monday. I was invited to the r1t shop. I pulled the trigger on a truck today. The only difference from my pre-order is it has a power tonneau cover.

I think folks have posted about this r1t shop. Essentially Rivian provides access for one week to visibility of vehicles that are available and I believe it's determined by your ZIP code. There appears to be a ton of Forest Greens. I was able to snag the limestone... Early days though... They say 6 to 8 weeks to delivery.

I have a 2018 Tacoma with everything on it. We do a bit of camping and tow a 5500 lb loaded trailer. I'm going to keep both vehicles to see if the charging Network gets to where it needs to be so I can tow over 150 miles without range anxiety... If anybody's interested I guess I can post about that.

Towed a ton in the Tacoma and it does not do that bad. They don't tell you that it'll get about 12 miles per gallon when you're going 60 or 70 miles an hour... But it is completely manageable. Excited to see how this truck tows and what the range ends up being.

We have a model 3 so I am hoping I can get an adapter that goes Tesla to ccs? Think that's what it is...

Fingers crossed. I live near Seattle Washington and I have only seen one of these on the road. It had Colorado plates.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have been lurking on this site for quite a while. I have a pre-order from November 2018. I initially was going with the least expensive truck until this year I opted for an adventure package after receiving emails that changing the configuration would result in an earlier delivery.

My original configuration was granite with the manual tonneau cover and cargo racks.

I had a test drive back in November 2021 where they brought the vehicle to the house.

I responded back to the email they sent me back in November on Memorial Day asking about status and that I was flexible with colors and options. Last week I received an email hooking me up with a guide, spoke to the guy on Monday. I was invited to the r1t shop. I pulled the trigger on a truck today. The only difference from my pre-order is it has a power tonneau cover.

I think folks have posted about this r1t shop. Essentially Rivian provides access for one week to visibility of vehicles that are available and I believe it's determined by your ZIP code. There appears to be a ton of Forest Greens. I was able to snag the limestone... Early days though... They say 6 to 8 weeks to delivery.

I have a 2018 Tacoma with everything on it. We do a bit of camping and tow a 5500 lb loaded trailer. I'm going to keep both vehicles to see if the charging Network gets to where it needs to be so I can tow over 150 miles without range anxiety... If anybody's interested I guess I can post about that.

Towed a ton in the Tacoma and it does not do that bad. They don't tell you that it'll get about 12 miles per gallon when you're going 60 or 70 miles an hour... But it is completely manageable. Excited to see how this truck tows and what the range ends up being.

We have a model 3 so I am hoping I can get an adapter that goes Tesla to ccs? Think that's what it is...

Fingers crossed. I live near Seattle Washington and I have only seen one of these on the road. It had Colorado plates.

Congrats! This sounds very interesting.
And sounds like you almost got exactly what you were looking for too.

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
195 Posts
Awesome to see someone with some real R1 Shop experience. Nice that you were able to so closely match what you wanted. I would love to be able to snag a launch green, and this would be the only way that is possible for me (not having a launch edition ordered).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tesla to J1772, yes. Check out
There may be others, this is the brand I've had for 3 years to connect my I-Pace to Tesla Destination chargers.
We have a simple four prong dryer outlet wired to its own breaker, I think it's either 50 or 60 amp, and use a simple extra cable for the Tesla to charge at home at home.

I was thinking of just getting an adapter so I don't have to unplug the Tesla cable, just throw on the adapter and keep the charge cable in the truck. We have the extra charge cable in the Tesla and bought a second set to avoid plugging in and unplugging.

In your experience having both connection types, would you recommend getting the 80 amp adapter so it could be used on the supercharge network or simply just get the 40 amp connector because it'll primarily be used at home. I think the 40 amp connector is no more than $150 and an 80 amp is more than $250.

For what it's worth we have never used a supercharger and have had the model 3 since December of 2018. I do think the rivian will get more use out on the road traveling and will require the use of charge points...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
We have a simple four prong dryer outlet wired to its own breaker, I think it's either 50 or 60 amp, and use a simple extra cable for the Tesla to charge at home at home.
There are no "plugs" > 50A, so it's a 50A, at best... Which would be good for 40A continuous load.

In your experience having both connection types, would you recommend getting the 80 amp adapter so it could be used on the supercharge network or simply just get the 40 amp connector because it'll primarily be used at home. I think the 40 amp connector is no more than $150 and an 80 amp is more than $250.
NONE of the adapters can be used on the Superchargers.

·
Registered
522 Posts
What commodore said. Also, you won't be using Superchargers with the Rivian, you'll be using CCS chargers from Electrify America, EVgo, etc. You could buy a separate supercharger adapter but I'm not sure that's worth it, the charging speed would be lower than at EA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What commodore said. Also, you won't be using Superchargers with the Rivian, you'll be using CCS chargers from Electrify America, EVgo, etc. You could buy a separate supercharger adapter but I'm not sure that's worth it, the charging speed would be lower than at EA.
I appreciate both of your responses. You guys saved me some money. I'm just going to get the 40 amp cord connector for the garage. I guess they sell the 80 amp connector if you have a high-speed Tesla charger at home.

All I can say is unless you're getting some supercharger for your garage, the simple setup is to buy an additional cable for the vehicle and then install a dedicated breaker with the appropriate four prong outlet. I do think the extra cable set for the Tesla was like $500 which I think is the same price as a wall charger
Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts