Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. I am a new (hopeful) Rivian R1T owner to be. I look forward to learning more about rivian at this forum.

I am interested in the max battery, but it appears to not be available now, and only with the dual motors when they start shipping. I am curious to learn more about the dual vs quad motors and how the max pack effects payload and general off-road performance.

I live in AZ and plan to use it for adventures around Arizona, CA, UT, and CO.

· Registered
6 Posts
+1. Placed an R1S reservation last week, and from what I gather, I’d be lucky to lay hands on one by Dec 23.

I am also still torn between the quad and dual. I understand it theoretically, but looking for a lot more practical (real life) understanding.

I Dont plan any wild adventures, the best I will do is probably some very light off-roading. I however used to own a RWD Tesla Model S and it would do this weird thing in snow - when roads were extremely slippery, it would cut power to all wheels even if u floored it. I know a RWD is not the best in adverse weather, but I would expect at least one wheel to be spinning. A dual motor would mitigate this, but wondering if to just get the quad. But then the quad might be an overkill (especially with that 8k price tag)?

I also plan to keep the vehicle for a while. A quad motor means twice as many motors that could break :)

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose a lot depends on how the dual motor will work with a locker. I am assuming an electronic locker will be the proposed solution. Curious to see if there is any more info on the dual vs quad. I searched a bit, but seems like dual motor info is hard to find.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum guys @jeffsolarspies @femmy!

It's hard to say right now with the dual motor setup and what it can deliver, so far Rivian is at the testing stages with it.

What's your ideal R1T/R1S spec?
Thanks for the welcome :). I was a big Dodge Durango forum user 20 years ago when I modified by Dodge Durango for off-roading ability (the kids call it "overlanding" today). I have tackled some moderately difficult trails in AZ and UT including some notable Moab routes.

My preferred rig would be the R1T adventure package, quad motor with large pack (would prefer quad motor with max pack, but not available) loaded with 20" wheels with AT tires, green exterior, forest green interior, skid package.

I look forward to learning more about the differences between dual and quad motor and weight of the drivetrain/battery configurations and payloads.

· Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to the forum guys @jeffsolarspies @femmy!

It's hard to say right now with the dual motor setup and what it can deliver, so far Rivian is at the testing stages with it.

What's your ideal R1T/R1S spec?
Thanks @R99 !
I have a young fam - 3 boys growing fast, so I’m looking to get them more adventurous. Camping, some light off roaring trails etc. I also love driving and value comfort. Believe it or not, I went from my Model S to a Genesis GV80 (went after the 4 cyl) and I love the GV80. But…it’s ICE. And a 5 seater. Once u go electric, it gets difficult forking out $$ for gas again.

Range is important to me. My ideal config would be a white R1S, dual motor, blacked out badges (I would probably take care of that myself), black interior (I really want the white, but I’m listening to my inner logical voice), 22 inch blacked out wheels (I could do the 21 but powder smoke it afterwards) and the MAX pack.

My brother once had a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and oh boy, that thing was bouncy at speed. It’s for this reason I want to stay away from the R1S’s 20 inch wheels.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m Dual + max pack, Red. I’ve been considering a used quad motor + large pack, but the more I think about it and how much I’m paying for a Rivian Truck the more I want to wait for what I want.
How long before the dual/maxpack is available?

I only placed reservation this past week, so I am assuming months (years?) before I can get it.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is some info in this discussion with 2 Rivian representatives.

Interesting at 14:00 the fella on the upper right stated an informed member of the Rivian community claimed dual motor is 95% of performance of quad motor with 30% more range.

I really wonder if this is true. I am more concerned with off road performance, so if you only sacrifice 5% off-road performance and you get 30% more range, I will definitely wait for Dual/Maxpack.

· Registered
52 Posts
My guess 18 - 24 months. Rivian says when u reserve now “Deliveries for new reservations are expected to begin in late 2023.” I just don’t see how that can happen as in Sep 2022 they had 114k orders. At best excluding new orders they still have about 100k reservations that’s ahead of you. Unless they can deliver 100k this year, new reservations are not going to get deliveries in “late 2023” When the plant was operated by Mitsubishi it was said to be able to produce 130k-$150k units. But that was mostly cars which get manufactured quicker. But there hope for 18 months !

· Registered
52 Posts
Rivian have said dual/max will be 400+ mile range . I’ve heard the max will be 180kw which I’d guess will be 170 usable , based off large pack which is 135 with 125 usable. Current efficiency they using for R1T quad / large is 329 @125 kw (usable) that’s efficiency of 2,632 miles per 1 kWh. (That’s using road tires) with max pack being heavier (incl discount for less motor weight for dual) I’d guess efficiency might be less than 2,632. Maybe 2,3 ish that means 170x 2,3529 to make 400 miles.

Mason (guy that was bottom right) said the two are almost the same off road but I got the indication the quad is Slightly better by how he answered the question. extra HP and each wheel with its own motor I can see that but he said they virtually the same.

I’m all for range and when there’s battery degradation in a few years you still going to have tons of range.

· Registered
6 Posts
I also figured there is no way late 2023 deliveries will work for new reservations. It’s a good idea to not be so upfront though, as people would possibly flock elsewhere ;).

Per my understanding, with the dual, any given motor is connected to an axle with two wheels. In adverse road conditions, a few tricks have to be implemented - heavy use of brakes to stop a wheel spinning in the air, etc. With a quad however, the wheels could be very separate. That could mean a whole level of articulation off road, and there is also complete control of each wheel in adverse conditions.

I also did hear Mason say the street performance between dual and quad is close.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
... In adverse road conditions, a few tricks have to be implemented - heavy use of brakes to stop a wheel spinning in the air, etc. With a quad however, the wheels could be very separate. That could mean a whole level of articulation off road, and there is also complete control of each wheel in adverse conditions...
I might consider quad motor if the off road performance is noticeably better than the dual. If the difference is less than 10% (difficult to summarize off road performance as a percent) I might go Dual with Max pack. The added weight of the max pack is a consideration. The Rivian R1T is already very heavy. The max pack seems to be 500-700 lbs heavier. Something I am pondering.

If a quad pack with large pack is available sooner, I might opt for that.

I did some additional research and it appears the forecast annual production for Rivian is more than 100,000/year, but in Q4 of 2022 they producing about 3300/month, so they will need to more than triple production to clear their backlog in 12-18 months.

PeriodVehicles ProducedVehicles Delivered
Q1 20222,5531,227
Q2 20224,4014,467
Q3 20227,3636,584
Q4 202210,0208,054
Total 202224,33720,332

· Registered
52 Posts
I’ve not seen a 100k projection, they just screwed up the 2022 projection of 50k and it cost them in the stock price. With only 10k produced in 4th Q, 100k is a big jump, that’s 8,333 per month, they have time to see how many they produce in January and half of Feb before their earnings call. I think if they project even 75k they might be setting themselves up not to achieve that either, not unless they produce 6,250 in Jan and have done 3,100 by mid Feb to be on track for 75k.

· Registered
52 Posts
They mentioned that you can pay extra for more HP ((700 n something) $2k more or get a little over 600. With regular dual. With over 600 HP and torque the trucks going to be quick anyway. Unless you want to race people all day or go off roading a lot , dual will be perfect. I’ve not heard any spec info on how they configuring the dual for off road, he did say there is no “wheel locking” “devise or system, maybe it will be similar to AWD systems ? That’s a wait and see

1 - 20 of 20 Posts