Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Tesla Model Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Volt, Spark EV
96 Posts
You are sure going to miss the supercharger network!

As for the off-roading, the R1T has proved to be a capable "light off-roader." I am pretty underwhelmed with the performance of the quad motor setup for serious off-roading at least in my area, and ended up repurposing the vehicle because of it.

· Registered
15 MS 70D, Chevy Bolt, Yamaha T700
27 Posts
You are sure going to miss the supercharger network!

As for the off-roading, the R1T has proved to be a capable "light off-roader." I am pretty underwhelmed with the performance of the quad motor setup for serious off-roading at least in my area, and ended up repurposing the vehicle because of it.
Curious what hasn't worked well for off-roading? I was planning to use it on medium level jeep/type trails. From what I've seen, the way the AWD works is likely to eat up trails. My background is dual sport motorcycles and due to old knees am probably moving to 4x4ing, was thinking this my be really good for that.

· Registered
Tesla Model Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Volt, Spark EV
96 Posts
Curious what hasn't worked well for off-roading? I was planning to use it on medium level jeep/type trails. From what I've seen, the way the AWD works is likely to eat up trails. My background is dual sport motorcycles and due to old knees am probably moving to 4x4ing, was thinking this my be really good for that.
The vehicle is pretty evil on very slippery surfaces.

Take my Jeep. Put it off camber on ice. If I lock the rear differential, both rear tires spin and the rear slides sideways down the hill.

Reset. This time, unlock the diff. Now, one wheel may slip as you try to move forward, but the other will retain "rolling traction" to provide some lateral stability.

By taking the differential out of the vehicle, you lose this ability. The vehicle applies torque to both rear wheels (and front), breaking both free the way a locked diff would.

It's like Bambie on ice, very unpredictable, and no fun at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts